Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 114 Tigers @ Pirates August 10, 2017

dale675

Game 114 Pirates @ Tigers August 10, 2017

Woohoo day baseball!

Tigers

1 Ian Kinsler 2B
2 Mikie Mahtook CF
3 Justin Upton LF
4 Miguel Cabrera 1B
5 Nicholas Castellanos 3B
6 Victor Martinez DH
7 James McCann C
8 Andrew Romine RF
9 Jose Iglesias SS

Pitching
Drew VerHagen (R)
W-L: 0-1 | ERA: 5.00

Pirates

1 Starling Marte CF
2 Adam Frazier LF
3 Andrew McCutchen DH
4 Josh Bell 1B
5 David Freese 3B
6 Gregory Polanco RF
7 Sean Rodriguez 2B
8 Jordy Mercer SS
9 Chris Stewart C

Pitching
Gerrit Cole (R)
W-L: 9-8 | ERA: 4.00

ESPN
http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview?gameId=370810106

Last edited:
9th triple for Nick, leads AL, next closest is 6

Tied for 2nd in MLB

NL triples
Charlie Blackmon 13
Billy Hamilton 9

To get away day games going on right now but neither on MLB and but neither on MLB network.

Usually they show day games during the week when they're happening.

Maybe it's because the PGA championship is on right now on TNT. I think there's some business connection between MLB network and TNT.

VerHagen gonna be VerTakin' his butt back to the minors after this game, geeze

Second half all star Mahtook? JV? Both raking since around the all star break.

Meathook = HOF.

Bob should probably shut down his cat for the season as this Tigers team can't be good for its health.

Drew VerHagen, gave up six runs on nine hits and didn't make it out of the fourth inning as the Tigers lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates 7-5 Thursday afternoon at Comerica Park.

VerHagen, making his second start of the season and third of his career, got only four swinging strikes in 79 pitches and was hit hard (two doubles, a triple and a home run) by a Pirates team that managed only three hits a day earlier. He walked one and struck out one.

The Tigers picked up two runs in the first inning when Nicholas Castellanos dropped a soft liner down the right field line, scoring Mikie Mahtook and Miguel Cabrera, who raced past third base coach Dave Clark's stop sign as he steamed home.

But Pirates starter Gerrit Cole settled in after that, allowing just one run on three hits in the next seven innings.

NOTABLE
Victor Martinez snapped an 0-for-21 skid when he singled in the fourth inning. He had been hitless since last Thursday in Baltimore.

The nine triples by Castellanos are most in the American League and the most by a Tigers' third baseman since Brandon Cringe in 2005.

Tigers center fielder Mikie Mahtook hit a solo home run in the third inning. He's batting .341 (30-for-88) since the All-Star break.
Mikie Mahtook cut the deficit to 4-3 for the Tigers with a solo home run in the third inning. It was Mahtook?s seventh home run of the season.
Mahtook came into the game batting. 329 (53-for-161) with 23 runs scored and 18 RBI in 50 games since June 1.
Mahtook finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI for the Tigers.

After taking three of four from the Tigers in their home-and-home meeting this week, the Shitsburgh Pirates now lead the all-time series 28-27.

Warwick Saupold continued to excel in his mop-up duty role, allowing two hits over 3 1/3 scoreless innings in the Tigers' 7-5 loss to the Pirates.
He walked one and struck out two.

?He seemed to be flat today,? Tigers manager Brad Dickmus said of 26-year-old VerHagen, a fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft. ?He?s usually getting ground balls and he wasn?t getting ground balls. His curveball didn?t have its good downward action.? That's because he sucks Brad.

Assmus continues to have confidence in VerHagen, feeling his role is as a reliever, not a starter. Fuck you!!

?I think Drew VerHagen is a major-league pitcher,? Ausmus said. ?I think the debate is whether he?s a starter or a reliever.
You dumb shit he is a minor league starter and minimal ML reliever.

We?re in a situation where we needed a starter when Fulmer went down and so he was kind of forced into that role.

We're in a situation where the season is lost, and you're part of this clusterfuck you fuckstick.
We're in a situation that the mess in the front office and the manager and several coaches are part of the reason, and it's permeated into the minor leagues.

The Tigers showed some hustle in the bottom of the ninth getting both Justin Upton an Nick Castellanos on base, and forcing the Pirates closer Felipe Rivero into the game. Victor Martinez then got an RBI double, making it a lot closer than the Pirates would like. Alas, the Tigers were unable to capitalize on the late-inning success, and John Hicks, coming in to pinch hit, was the final strike out of the game.

ROARS:
Mikie Mahtook started out with a single in the first, then came back to hit his seventh home run of the season in the third. His line going into this game was .291/.342/.787 and he?s now up to seven home runs for the season.

Jose Iglesias absolutely robbed a Josh Bell hit, which was good because Bell owned the Tigers this afternoon, with both a home run and a single.

Victor Martinez for the late-game glimpse of hope.

HISSES:
Drew VerHagen, obviously, who had a rough outing, and will most likely be Toledo-bound when Michael Fulmer returns.

STREAKS & INFO:
Nicholas Castellanos hit his ninth triple of the season, giving him the AL lead for triples.

There were a lot of reviews in this game. Four to be exact, two from the Tigers and two from the Pirates. Three of four were overturned, because the umpires were incompetent fucks.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/pirates...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491816
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/castellanos-two-run-triple/c-1709752183?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights and lowlights of the Tigers loss.

Meathook = HOF.

Bob should probably shut down his cat for the season as this Tigers team can't be good for its health.

I really can't take to many innings of the Tigers this year. I tried the cat a few times but like both of them this team just bores us to death. I tune into every game for a few outings but I have to admit I did miss Verlander's gem....I'm just so frustrated with the l lack of World Series titles in the last 10 years. We should had to at least 2 and maybe three or four with this Talent.

Last edited:
I really can't take to many innings of the Tigers this year. I tried the cat a few times but like both of them this team just bores us to death. I tune into every game for a few outings but I have to admit I did miss Verlander's gem....I'm just so frustrated with the l lack of World Series titles in the last 10 years. We should had to at least 2 and maybe three or four with this Talent.

I hear ya brother.

That's probably the hardest part about the team's decline and what to expect in the coming years. The window on this team closed a few years ago.

Last edited:

Hate to break this to you but the team wasn't that talented. They were a good team during that run with a few great stars but it was never a complete team. They would have been lucky to win one WS title with the makeup of the team being top heavy with a few stars, incomplete lineups, no bull pen and a below average defense. That's not the recipe for championship teams.

Hate to break this to you but the team wasn't that talented. They were a good team during that run with a few great stars but it was never a complete team. They would have been lucky to win one WS title with the makeup of the team being top heavy with a few stars, incomplete lineups, no bull pen and a below average defense. That's not the recipe for championship teams.

What are you talking about. They had two legit chances to win a WS, maybe 3 or 4. They were good. No one ever has a great offense, defense - SP, BP, no holes in lineup. They went to two WS and you say that they weren't Championship caliber. Hogwash.

What are you talking about. They had two legit chances to win a WS, maybe 3 or 4. They were good. No one ever has a great offense, defense - SP, BP, no holes in lineup. They went to two WS and you say that they weren't Championship caliber. Hogwash.

I think any team is lucky to win one in a 10 year span...even great teams.

I think any team is lucky to win one in a 10 year span...even great teams.

Not the point. You basically said we didn't have a shot at a title when in reality we did.. I don't believe your lucky when you get to two WS. And another AL title series. It just didn't work out. But they were championship caliber.

Not the point. You basically said we didn't have a shot at a title when in reality we did.. I don't believe your lucky when you get to two WS. And another AL title series. It just didn't work out. But they were championship caliber.

I was responding to Bob when he said they should have at least 2 WS and maybe 3 or 4 with the talent on the team. That's crazy talk

Back