Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

Quantity trumps quality in Avilaworld, apparently, they need to swell the ranks of their farm system, pronto, perhaps to lure potential near future ballclub buyers. The prospects that they got are not ready for primetime anytime soon, but each are looking pretty good in the minors so far.

That's the thing, get 1 top guy or 3 in the middle somewhere?

I'd be curious what their ml rank is next season.. Will they move up? They're better because well they stunk.. we were what, 28-29? Wonder if they move up to 25.

Gambling on a backup catcher vs acquiring a massive contract connected to a broken down body. You really making this comparison?

He wasn't the only one, just the first that came to mind. Washedburnt being another.

Gambling on a backup catcher vs acquiring a massive contract connected to a broken down body. You really making this comparison?

Jv should have garnered the Astros best prospects period . All this deal shows is Chris just wants to cut payroll and not really attempt to get better. Get the best players !!!!!

Might be some awfully short game threads the next several seasons.

Yes, but I'll go into next season like I always do with some excitement and a little confidence. I'm hoping to see some of these prospects this last month.

Jv should have garnered the Astros best prospects period . All this deal shows is Chris just wants to cut payroll and not really attempt to get better. Get the best players !!!!!

A quote after Mr. I passing..

'Christopher Ilitch says that things aren?t going to change for the Detroit Tigers in the wake of his father?s death.'

No way Mr. I trades JV or Upton for that matter..

Regardless of what these modern day sports writers are saying?I kind of think Denny McLain was probably the best pitcher in franchise history.

Regardless of what these modern day sports writers are saying…I kind of think Denny McLain was probably the best pitcher in franchise history.

JV has about 60 more wins than McClain ever had (In Detroit).. Not enough years. Maybe he had the best year in franchise history but he's not better than JV.

Last edited:
Lolich is my all-time favorite Tigers lefty, esp b/c he was RH prior to fucking his arm up in a motorcycle accident, IIRC. McLain pitched most of his career with an elevated mound, which was lowered by ~ a foot in '69, also the start of divisional play. JV is of a different era, IMO, with far better training and restricted PCs.

This fire-sale would be faar easier to stomach, had even one of the contending Tigers teams over the past 11 seasons, won a WS championship, but all we got were humiliating exits in the postseason, regardless of how deep that each went.

Exactly. Phillies fans are hating their lives right now and cursing upper management but at least they got a ring. We got punked in both World Series appearances.

Exactly. Phillies fans are hating their lives right now and cursing upper management but at least they got a ring. We got punked in both World Series appearances.

At least we got there twice, and won some division titles. I look at Florida/Miami.. They have 2 rings but honestly I don't think I'd be happy with buying, selling, buying, selling.. Even for 2 rings. 2006 was one of my favorite years..

I could care less what type of money our billionaire owners are saving in the jv deal we should have gotten one or two of the BEST PROSPECTS the Astros had period!! This deal stinks.

I think they got good value for him. All three are in the top 9 of current Tigers prospects. The Tigers had the worst minor league system...that has to be fixed in order to re-build.

I have been listening to MLB radio all AM. All of the "experts" are saying that the Tigers did very well in this trade.

Regardless of what these modern day sports writers are saying?I kind of think Denny McLain was probably the best pitcher in franchise history.

Hooks Dauss has more wins as a Tigers than any other pitcher. But Verlander, Lolich, Morris, Newhouser, and Bridges all rate above McLain IMO.

I think they got good value for him. All three are in the top 9 of current Tigers prospects. The Tigers had the worst minor league system...that has to be fixed in order to re-build.

I have been listening to MLB radio all AM. All of the "experts" are saying that the Tigers did very well in this trade.

Top 9 in our system? OUR SYSTEM? Yeah, okay. All these players only one is top 100 in all of baseball. And that's for Upton, JD, JV, Wilson and Alice. Imo, we got very little and not a lot of hope for future success. This was a pure salary dump. They only work if you can draft. We can't.

Last edited:
Top 9 in our system? OUR SYSTEM? Yeah, okay. All these players only one is top 100 in all of baseball. And that's for Upton, JD, JV, Wilson and Alice. Imo, we got very little and not a lot of hope for future success. This was a pure salary dump. They only work if you can draft. We can't.

well, Houston does draft very well, and the Tigers just got 3 of their top 11 prospects.

well, Houston does draft very well, and the Tigers just got 3 of their top 11 prospects.

I agree. Seems some were expecting a Chris Sale type return. Not realizing that Sale is much younger and didn't have a $28 mil a year weight coming with him.

I'm not really much of a fan of Avila, but I think he did as good as possible with these trades. Aside from not dealing JD before the season.

They do but many are in the ML already. They weren't a top ten team with regards to ml ranking. Though it depends on where you look. It would have been better to trade with the Cubs.

They do but many are in the ML already. They weren't a top ten team with regards to ml ranking. Though it depends on where you look. It would have been better to trade with the Cubs.

from what I heard on the radio today, JV wanted to go to the Cubs or Dodgers but either they didn't want him or the Tigers couldn't get what they wanted out of those two teams. Bottom line is I think the Tigers got the best deal they could have out of JV. This also helps JV. Playing for a contender for the next 2+ years gives him a better chance at the HOF.

Back