Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 135 Tigers vs. Indians Sept 2, 2017

Efren Navarro was not part of that deal...he's a 31 year old journeyman that shouldn't be on a ML roster.

You keep saying they should have kept JV but why...they were NOT going to be above .500 with him during the next few years.

But he's a major league player, and as you said if you can become a ML player you're good. There's more a chance these recent guys become Navarro than a success story.

But he's a major league player, and as you said if you can become a ML player you're good. There's more a chance these recent guys become Navarro than a success story.

no, I said "any prospect that is "expected" to be a ML player is considered to be a good prospect"

I never said all prospects become good major league players.

no, I said "any prospect that is "expected" to be a ML player is considered to be a good prospect"

I never said all prospects become good major league players.

1 in 3 make it to the majors

1 in 10 that make it to the majors is good/every day player

Those are the averages. When you have a good minor league system, the rates are higher. When you don't (see Detroit), well, you get 31 yr old career minor leaguers as your callup.

You and I can agree that this team was going no where. But, I do not agree that the prospects > then the talent they got rid of. Period. Sure, J.D. was gone at the year's end and probably Upton. They got someone for them. In J.D.'s case, he should have been traded last offseason when his value was at his greatest. Quantity in prospects does not mean quality.

Shane Loux was once a top Tiger prospect and listed as a top 100 prospect in baseball. Franklyn German. Wil Ledzema. Matt Roney. Virgil Vasquez. Nate Cornejo. Go back in K.C.'s minor league thread and look at the league's top 100 and the Tiger's top 10 in year's past.

Bottom line. Adding "prospects" to a weak minor league system did not improve the Tigers. Sure, they had to shed payroll and do something different. But, unless they start drafting and/or acquiring better talent, it will be a long while until they are competitive.

And D.D. was not fired for trading away players. He was fired because he was in the last year of his contract and was rumored to be already talking with the Red Sox.

Last edited:
But, unless they start drafting and/or acquiring better talent, it will be a long while until they are competitive.

Well...chances are very good that the ballclub will be picking within the top 10, if not the top 5 during the next several years, if not longer, absent overhauling those in charge, farm, scouting, and managing/coaching. If their pitching, baserunning, and hitting trainers/coaches in low A/Rook/instructional are not very good, even their best prospects won't develop properly.

And if their scouting does a poor job of identifying/evaluating other teams players, prospects, and FAs. as well as the FO being limited in spending on FAs, or length of contracts, and fielding crappy teams that again forces the ballclub to overpay...

Last edited:
Well...chances are very good that the ballclub will be picking within the top 10, if not the top 5 during the next several years, if not longer, absent overhauling those in charge, farm, scouting, and managing/coaching. If their pitching, baserunning, and hitting trainers/coaches in low A/Rook/instructional are not very good, even their best prospects won't develop properly.

And if their scouting does a poor job of identifying/evaluating other teams players, prospects, and FAs. as well as the FO being limited in spending on FAs, or length of contracts, and fielding crappy teams that again forces the ballclub to overpay...

Exactly.

Back