Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 136: Tigers vs Indians, September 3, 2017

UMRules06

Tigers getting their asses kicked again. About all anyone needs to know.

We will be lucky to get to 65 wins for the season.

Tigers getting their asses kicked again. About all anyone needs to know.

We will be lucky to get to 65 wins for the season.

The team should issue a partial refund to season ticket holders for this mess they've put on the field.

Place a deposit for 2018 Season Tickets!

Full Season - $750/seat
Half Season - $400/seat
28/27 Game - $250/seat
15 Game - $100/seat

Last edited:
I'd be curious if they stick to their plan, if they have one - full rebuild or will they sign large contracts again next season.

Thanks to all who have been posting a game thread since the Verlander trade.
Below after game postings is all I feel like doing.....

Somewhere this is written in red in the handbook on rebuilding baseball teams: Warning! The process is likely to be painful. Young, inexperienced players will take their lumps.

Cleveland Indians won their 11th game in a row by completing a four-game sweep of the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park.
The combined score for the four games this weekend: 29-5.

Ramirez had five extra-base hits -- two home runs and three doubles -- to lead the Indians to the 11-1 win.

Incredibly, both home runs bounced off Tigers outfielders before going over the fence. Left fielder Mikie Mahtook accidentally swatted the ball over with his bare hand in the first inning; the ball bounced off right fielder Alex Presley's glove in the sixth.

After the Tigers parted with outfielder Justin Upton and starting pitcher Justin Verlander on Thursday, they were swept in four games. They are 20 games under the .500 mark for the first time since the last game of the 2005 season.

Chad Bell lasted four-plus innings, allowing five runs on eight hits. He allowed the bases loaded in the fourth inning and gave way to righty Zac Reininger, who did a remarkable job keeping the score in tact by stranding all three runners.

The Tigers totaled one run on eight hits. That came when JaCoby Jones hit an RBI single off Josh Tomlin in the second inning. The Tigers had some early opportunities but thrice grounded into double plays.

Daniel Beavis Norris’ season debut in a relief role did not go well: He allowed two doubles and two walks and did not record an out in the eighth inning.

The Tigers offense seemed to be in a hurry in this series, swinging early and often. In the four games, they drew three walks, two of them Sunday.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/indians...137#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492137
Boxscore.

Quick hits:
Chad Bell started for Detroit. He got through four innings but couldn’t record an out in the fifth. He loaded the bases before being pulled for Zach Reininger.

Bell’s final line was four-plus innings, eight hits, five runs, two walks and one strikeout on 85 pitches (50 strikes).

The Tigers scored their only run in the second inning, thanks to consecutive singles from Jeimer Candelario, James McCann, and Jose Iglesias.

Cleveland scored in every inning but the fourth and seventh.

Daniel Norris made his first MLB appearance since July 16. Norris surrendered two extra-base hits and two walks without recording an out.

NOTABLE
Matthew Boyd will start on Wednesday against the Kansas City Royals. Boyd and Buck Farmer started Friday's doubleheader, so both were due to pitch on Wednesday.

The Tigers are off on Thursday and could choose to pitch Farmer or Jordan Zimmermann in the series opener Friday at Toronto.

Ausmus also said the rotation could be "shuffled" before Friday.
The Tigers have six current starters, including Artie Lewicki, and one will likely head to the bullpen.

In his first appearance since being moved to the bullpen, Tigers left-hander Daniel Norris failed to retire a batter. He gave up back-to-back doubles to Ramirez and Edwin Encarnacion and then issued back-to-back walks to load the bases.

Last edited:
I'd be curious if they stick to their plan, if they have one - full rebuild or will they sign large contracts again next season.

That would be crazy. Tigers had one of the best in Verlander. To pay for any one would be like stabbing the fan base in the back.

During today's game, I watched the interview with David Chadd. It made me sick. If the current leadership is not vacated, it will be 10 years before the Tigers are good again.

1 in 3 top prospects make it. This means with all the players this season we acquired, 3 will have a career in the Majors. 1 will be good. And then think of the talent disposed of. 'Nuf said.

That would be crazy. Tigers had one of the best in Verlander. To pay for any one would be like stabbing the fan base in the back.

I know that. But when they see how bad we all, maybe wins don't come etc. Organizational people get all crazy when things don't go right..

I just saw a replay of the home run swat by Mahtook, lol.

During today's game, I watched the interview with David Chadd. It made me sick. If the current leadership is not vacated, it will be 10 years before the Tigers are good again.

1 in 3 top prospects make it. This means with all the players this season we acquired, 3 will have a career in the Majors. 1 will be good. And then think of the talent disposed of. 'Nuf said.

Is there a video of that?

Didn't watch a single pitch today, forgot they even played till later was when a saw a kid in the store with his face painted like a tiger, he must of went to the game. I thought wonder if they won today or not, looked it up on the phone real quick saw 11-1 lose and then proceeded to laugh my ass off for 30 seconds, not in front of the kid though that would have been rude

Last edited:
Bahahahajaha

DETROIT
Jose Ramirez tied a major league record with five extra-base hits, including a pair of home runs that deflected off Detroit outfielders, and the Cleveland Indians routed the Tigers 11-1 Sunday for their 11th straight victory.

Ramirez had three doubles in becoming the 13th player with five extra-base hits in a game. Kris Bryant of the Cubs did it last year, and the previous Cleveland player to accomplish the feat was Kelly Shoppach in 2008.

The AL Central-leading Indians have their longest winning streak since a team-record 14-game run last year. They outscored the Tigers 29-5 while posting their first four-game sweep in Detroit.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/article171130067.html#storylink=cpy

I get that rebuilding is painful. But there's a fine line between true rebuilding and a blatant salary dump. Maybe not such a fine line.....I don't know.

All I know is I was very optimistic when this season started, I was very grateful my kids bought me the MLB package again for Christmas, and I looked forward to catching many games as this team fought for the division title and beyond.

That has obviously been blown up, and I haven't watched this team since Verlander's second to last start. Doubt that I will watch any more, and I feel truly sorry for the fans paying good money to attend games right now, because it seems that the kids are overmatched and the vets have checked out. Very depressing.

I will request that my kids buy me some good single malt or cigars for Christmas this year.

I went to espn and saw they were losing 5-1 then checked the line up and threw up in my mouth. This is what were going to be watching for the next 5 years...at minimum. Personally, I'm afraid we won't be relevant again until 2030....just a hunch. With Mr. I gone I don't think these kids will ever care enough about truly delivering the city a championship again. And if we're going to keep the same type of people in charge forget it. If it's a rebuild you want then rebuild the entire thing. Get rid of everyone and start over. Avila isn't going to build us a winner.

Last edited:
Its very possible that the franchise record of 119 losses, set in 2003 could be seriously threatened next season, given what has taken place, and if the current regime and manager/coaching staff remains intact.

(((shudder)))

Last edited:
Well untimely everything does eventually return to that at which it came I guess

Its very possible that the franchise record of 119 losses, set in 2003 could be seriously threatened next season, given what has taken place, and if the current regime and manager/coaching staff remains intact.

(((shudder)))

I'm not sure who would want to manage this team for the next few years either. It's obviously going to have to be a nobody trying to just get some managerial experience because no reputable name is going to want to inherit this team.

This is depressing. I wonder if Miggy will walk away like other Detroit stars like Barry and Calvin ?

HR ball bounced twice, back over the fence, when Mahtook slapped it back over again, unlike Raburn with his glove several years ago.

https://t.co/KnL82e5L2T
KnL82e5L2T

Last edited:
Back