Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Holding calls in the Big Ten

Michchamp

"It's a stunning stat that's been making the rounds on Monday: per Toronto Sun columnist John Kryk, in the past two seasons of Big Ten Conference play, Michigan's opponents have only been penalized twice for offensive holding.

Twice. Against a Michigan team that's led the conference in sacks and tackles for loss both years."​
Link.

what the hell do the refs have against us anyway? Just because Harbaugh was too open in his criticism?

the 2016 OSU crew was damn shameful... it would be tough not to criticise a situation like that.

"It's a stunning stat that's been making the rounds on Monday: per Toronto Sun columnist John Kryk, in the past two seasons of Big Ten Conference play, Michigan's opponents have only been penalized twice for offensive holding.

Twice. Against a Michigan team that's led the conference in sacks and tackles for loss both years."​
Link.

what the hell do the refs have against us anyway? Just because Harbaugh was too open in his criticism?

the 2016 OSU crew was damn shameful... it would be tough not to criticise a situation like that.

Gary on lack of OL holding calls: "I don't got no comment"

Well Hurst was held on the long 21 yard td run by JT but we are not suppose to complain about the refs . Pretty easy to see the fist full of jersey the osu linemen had. I find it hard to fathom our dline can't get any holding calls. It is frustrating. But nothing is as criminal as last year's refs in Columbus.

Link.

That was the end of 2016. It was already established before that that our opponents were the least penalized and Michigan the most penalized.

Could something have happened before that?

There seems to be a clear pattern of calls/no calls against Michigan. Last year's OSU game was egregious, but there were plenty of calls/no calls against Michigan again during this year's game. Michigan was called for holding twice during this year's game where there was clearly no holding on replay and even the announcers (who clearly favored OSU) said that they didn't see any holding. Michigan receivers being held/mugged with no calls. Pass interference being called twice on Michigan during the Wiscy game where the ball was clearly uncatachable. No calls on late hits/dirty hits on Michigan QBs resulting in serious injuries that not only knocked them out of the game, but ended their seasons. Yeah, I get that you can't put the game in the hands of the refs, but it is really hard to win, especially tight games, when you not only have to beat the other team, but you also have to beat the refs. Just call the game fairly and consistently.

There seems to be a clear pattern of calls/no calls against Michigan. Last year's OSU game was egregious, but there were plenty of calls/no calls against Michigan again during this year's game. Michigan was called for holding twice during this year's game where there was clearly no holding on replay and even the announcers (who clearly favored OSU) said that they didn't see any holding. Michigan receivers being held/mugged with no calls. Pass interference being called twice on Michigan during the Wiscy game where the ball was clearly uncatachable. No calls on late hits/dirty hits on Michigan QBs resulting in serious injuries that not only knocked them out of the game, but ended their seasons. Yeah, I get that you can't put the game in the hands of the refs, but it is really hard to win, especially tight games, when you not only have to beat the other team, but you also have to beat the refs. Just call the game fairly and consistently.

I really don't understand the why we have so much trouble getting calls. It really is frustrating.

I'll just say this. Make the plays.

Make that INT against OSU, probably wins you the game.
Don't turn the ball over 90 times against MSU. Stop throwing fades in a monsoon.

Weird, I remember 3 holding calls on MSU when we played you, the last of which was garbage and gave UM a chance to get the ball back as it was declined but stopped the clock.

How about the hands to the face by UM right in front of the ref ignored on Crawford's long catch and run? Or the delay of game totally missed on another key UM passing play for a 1st down.

I'd bet you OSU fans can easily fond a dozen or more calls missed that went against them in that game Saturday. But this must be the Michigan Difference you all are always droning on about.

UM was about middle of the pack for penalties for and against this year, but carry on explaining away the mediocre season.

Weird, I remember 3 holding calls on MSU when we played you, the last of which was garbage and gave UM a chance to get the ball back as it was declined but stopped the clock.

How about the hands to the face by UM right in front of the ref ignored on Crawford's long catch and run? Or the delay of game totally missed on another key UM passing play for a 1st down.

I'd bet you OSU fans can easily fond a dozen or more calls missed that went against them in that game Saturday. But this must be the Michigan Difference you all are always droning on about.

UM was about middle of the pack for penalties for and against this year, but carry on explaining away the mediocre season.

the asshole way to argue: when faced with a mountain of data, start cherry-picking counter examples and hand-waving ("I'd bet you OSU fans can bla bla bla..") and hope no one notices.

the asshole way to argue: when faced with a mountain of data, start cherry-picking counter examples and hand-waving ("I'd bet you OSU fans can bla bla bla..") and hope no one notices.

Whataboutism

That we are complaining about penalties is not a good sign, warranted or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That we are complaining about penalties is not a good sign, warranted or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a pretty significant little stat; this thread isn't that bad. It's not like we're picking apart the last two seasons and making claims that we should have better records and it's all the refs fault. Just reacting to a tweet about 2 holding calls in 2 years doesn't feel like a 1st step down that slippery sloe. We've pretty solidly pointed at our own offense all year.

Didn't some statistical study find that it was likely that penalties are skewed a little against "good" teams anyway? Maybe this says something good about how officials perceive things.

I'll just say this. Make the plays.

Make that INT against OSU, probably wins you the game.
Don't turn the ball over 90 times against MSU. Stop throwing fades in a monsoon.

Yeah, because a possible INT in the middle of the 2nd quarter usually decides football games...

You do know that it is possible to have bad calls and missed opportunities in the same game, right?

Yeah, how dare a few Michigan fans get together and discuss some bad calls that went against their team...

It's not like we're saying that the only reason Michigan lost is because of the refs. No one here is saying that, but go ahead and make that argument. Michigan lost, because Michigan didn't make plays and OSU did. That being said, the refs sucked.

Back