Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Twins sign Zumaya

thehippo73

According to MLB trade rumors, the Twins sign Joel Zumaya to a one year deal between 800k and 1.7 million based on incentives.

What do you all make of this...Little pissed, disappointed some, thinking Tigers should have just added Zumaya for depth to the bullpen. and also would rather have seen him in the national league. The f'n twins get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/twins-agree-to-sign-joel-zumaya.html
mlbtraderumors
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/01/former_tigers_reliever_joel_zu.html
Mlive
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120115&content_id=26355614&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
Tigers official site
http://www.freep.com/article/20120115/SPORTS02/120115020/joel-zumaya-detroit-tigers-minnesota-twins
freep

Relax Ron! Zoom throwing 94 means he will get hit hard. Also, Upper Mid-West may see a cold spring. So odds are, Zoom's delicate arm won't survive Minny's cold weather thru April.

But if Zoom gets into May unscathed, all bets are off....lol

MotownWebGuy said:
Relax Ron! Zoom throwing 94 means he will get hit hard. Also, Upper Mid-West may see a cold spring. So odds are, Zoom's delicate arm won't survive Minny's cold weather thru April.

But if Zoom gets into May unscathed, all bets are off....lol

Hey MotownWebGuy, glad to see you posting ;)
Yeah I know, guess it is just me thinking any team but the twins.

Honestly, nobody is happy for the guy?

He's a huge gamble, and the Twins decided to take a risk, I'm happy Zoom will at least get another shot.

I hope he does well.

The Twins are likely to still be a sub-.500 mess, for at least next season, and with or w/o Zumaya, IMO.

Zumaya "might" remain healthy at best, and pitch in relief in games infrequently vs the Tigers and get credit for a hold against them once in while, or probably less likely , a save here and there, in a worst case scenario.

Almost everyone here wants to see Jack Morris get in the HOF, and he started and won a game as a Twin and Blue Jay vs the Tigers, and did so more often than just once.

Both Morris and particularly Parrish fell out of favor with me once they left of their own volition, and became ex-Tigers. Gibson not so much, because by the time that he was gone, the Tigers had very little chance of being or becoming "contenders". It was VERY obvious that the Tigers franchise was going into a prolonged tailspin, around the time that Ernie Harwell was fired.

That the Tigers brass dared to fire Ernie REALLY pissed me off, and I lost a LOT of my former respect and admiration for the franchise during the 90s and early 00s.

I doubt pitching for a team out of the playoff hunt in July will come back and bite us.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I doubt pitching for a team out of the playoff hunt in July will come back and bite us.

Tigers vying for first...in September...playing the Twins...bases loaded...none out...down by 1....9th inning...Zumaya whiffs the side on 9 pitches....Tigers miss playoffs by 1 game.

I wish Zumaya the best, he had a real nice career with us that was cut short due to injuries. I am a little surprised he didn't sign with a team from the South, like Florida or Texas, to eliminate all the cold weather springtime baseball. I will never forget a game maybe 2 or 3 years ago, in Houston against the Astros, where Zumaya came out of the pen repeatedly throwing heaters at 105 mph on the gun. Juiced gun or not, I have never have never seen such a display of pure velocity. He is possibly the hardest thrower in the history of MLB.

good luck to him, hope he gets it all back together,just not against us.

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I doubt pitching for a team out of the playoff hunt in July will come back and bite us.

Tigers vying for first...in September...playing the Twins...bases loaded...none out...down by 1....9th inning...Zumaya whiffs the side on 9 pitches....Tigers miss playoffs by 1 game.

Like there's not 50% of the RP in the league who couldn't whiff us on 9 pitches. This does nothing to us.

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:

Tigers will be 10 games up by then... No worries....I hope... :)

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:

Right.

Because Zumaya is actually going to be pitching in July.

lol, he'll be done for the year before the ASB.

Not to mention, the Tigers will win the division comfortably.

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:

Knock on the door....Zoom pauses MLB 2012 and answers it.....Virtual Miggy left standing in the on deck circle while Zumaya pays the pizza guy......gets a bite of meat lovers.....continues your scenario.....

mjsb2 said:
tycobb420 said:

Right.

Because Zumaya is actually going to be pitching in July.

lol, he'll be done for the year before the ASB.

Not to mention, the Tigers will win the division comfortably.

That's a whole lotta crystal ball shit right there.

Thanks Miss Cleo.

Back