Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joe Saunders?

bavarianinnman

What do you guys think about him, possibly being the 5th starter.

Hes a lefty, numbers arent to bad i dont think.

Not sure how much he would command salary wise.

Just thinking havent heard anything about goen after him.

What do you guys think?

I have been wanting the Tigers to get a vet LHer since 08, when Rogers retired and Gumtime+Willis tanked.

angry.png
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

They got Washburned instead.

::)

But if were up to me, I would have made Willis pinch-hit, and tried to get SOMETHING out of my $29M investment?

???

Especially in "D-Railures" final contract year.

Willis could have been the next Ankiel, they could of at least tried if for a few weeks down in the minors right?

He is the best of what is left of the starter free agent southpaws. He has pitched 200 innings and an ERA close to 4 for the past 3 seasons.

I would do a 2 or 3 year deal.

thehippo73 said:
He is the best of what is left of the starter free agent southpaws. He has pitched 200 innings and an ERA close to 4 for the past 3 seasons.

And you would be disappointed. He's pitched 200 innings twice in his career.

smayschmouthfootball said:
thehippo73 said:

You are right about the innings. But the last 4 seasons he has started 31, 31, 33 and 33 games for at least 180 innings. I am not sure what you expect out of a 5th starter.

thehippo73 said:

You are right about the innings. But the last 4 seasons he has started 31, 31, 33 and 33 games for at least 180 innings. I am not sure what you expect out of a 5th starter.

He should not expect a multi-year contacts, for starters. And I don't get the same stats as you on his innings over the last four seasons.

thehippo73 said:

He should not expect a multi-year contacts, for starters. And I don't get the same stats as you on his innings over the last four seasons.

198 innings

186 innings

203 innings between two teams

212 innings

thehippo73 said:

198 innings

186 innings

203 innings between two teams

212 innings

I see that now. Thought the 2010 split was two different seasons. #dyslexiaisaburden

In addition to looking for a multi year deal, he also sucks.

He's not worth 5 mill for one year, let alone what he's looking for.

Thankfully the Tigers aren't going to sign him.

Saunders is equivalent to Pat Maholm. Maholm just signed with the Cubs for $4.75 Mil.

Out of 150 starters last 3 years:

Saunders 115
Maholm 117

Now, Saunders was arbitration eligible and was non-tendered. That should tell you something. He made $5.5 Mil in 2011.

Personally, I think the Tigers are better off having Crosby/Oliver/Smyly has the 5th starter to start the season. I would start Turner at AAA. If at mid-season, Crosby/Oliver/Smyly aren't cutting it and Turner is killing AAA, then you bring Turner up.

Keep in mind this spot in the rotation is replacing Penny. And virtually anybody would do as well or better. Why pay $7-10 Mil for the same production, when you can get it in-house?

Back