Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Martinez: done for 2012?

Dimitri Young would be a better option. He doesn't have to serve a suspension for drugs and doesn't bring as much baggage and would probably accept a minor league deal with an invite to ST and earn his way onto the team.

Dd better get moving.. Manny is a shell of his former self.... Go sign Fielder...lol

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Dd better get moving.. Manny is a shell of his former self.... Go sign Fielder...lol

The other thread is seriously proposing that idea. #overreaction

Sign Cespedes to play LF and move Delmon to full time DH. Would like to see the Prince but realistically it's not happening.

Just fucking great, I'm waving buh-bye to ~a fifth of the Tigers potential'12 offense, if so.

:(

I think we've got a few somewhat realistic options... 1) sign a guy like Vlad, Manny, Maggs, Pena for nothing and hope they produce for a year; 2) trade for a guy like HanRam, Wright, Carlos Lee and you've likely still got room for VMart if he returns; 3) go all in and sign Fielder and possibly trade VMart away next year when he gets healthy.

doc08 said:
Dimitri Young would be a better option. He doesn't have to serve a suspension for drugs and doesn't bring as much baggage and would probably accept a minor league deal with an invite to ST and earn his way onto the team.
DY hasn't played since '08. Manny was playing last season... big difference. Not to mention that Manny was raking for LA in 2010. I'm not sure that Manny wouldn't take a minor league deal and ST invite either.

It might be Maggs again, but he is slow on the basepaths and is so damned fragile & brittle that he is only one thickly sprayed foul-line to trip over from the 60 day DL.

Turok said:
It might be Maggs again, but he is slow on the basepaths and is so damned fragile & brittle that he is only one thickly sprayed foul-line to trip over from the 60 day DL.

Maggs offers Miggy 0 protection int he lineup, he'll (Cabrera) break the record for single season IBB unless we get someone to hit in Vmarts spot.

I was in my car and just leaving for a wake, Bob called and said what happened to Victor. XM mlb network station said it was during a workout as mentioned.
Options sound like, now being forced to get Cespedes for LF and Delmon as DH.
as mentioned, there have been reports that Fielder will take a 1 year contract for 2012 and then go to FA again. this would be expensive for the year, but Tigers must have some recoup with insurance on V-Mart's contract.
Other options, Damon? Maggs? .......
This definitely sucks for the team, but also for Martinez beyond 2012. Will he regain his stroke? forget catching again. He will be going on 35? and on the 3rd year of the contract.

MI_Thumb said:
Turok said:

Maggs offers Miggy 0 protection int he lineup, he'll (Cabrera) break the record for single season IBB unless we get someone to hit in Vmarts spot.

Just for the record and to be clear, I was NOT posting that I want Maggs back, or that he would be anything remotely close to adequate as VMart's replacement, but maybe DD thinks that he would be, who here really knows (yet) WTF they will or won't do?

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]I was in my car and just leaving for a wake, Bob called and said what happened to Victor. XM mlb network station said it was during a workout as mentioned.
as mentioned, there have been reports that Fielder will take a 1 year contract for 2012 and then go to FA again. this would be expensive for the year, but Tigers must have some recoup with insurance on V-Mart's contract.
This definitely sucks for the team, but also for Martinez beyond 2012. Will he regain his stroke? forget catching again. He will be going on 35? and on the 3rd year of the contract.
I would love to have Prince on a one year contract

Maize&blue21 said:
[quote="KalineCountry":lj5w8p0b]I was in my car and just leaving for a wake, Bob called and said what happened to Victor. XM mlb network station said it was during a workout as mentioned.
I would love to have Prince on a one year contract[/quote:lj5w8p0b]Same here. Give him $20mil and let's get back to the World Series.

So much for the Tigers brass chances, if they were hoping to tiptoe quietly into ST by playing around with the notion that they "might" sign Cespedes.

Now they REALLY will have to put up or shut up, and if the latter, that will mean that they will become completely exposed in a quite blatant indication that they aren't/weren't truly dead serious about contending for a WS championship next fall.

Back