Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Martinez: done for 2012?

"Let's see...I could go play for a team like Texas, the two-time defending AL champs, be their everyday first baseman, sign a contract for at least 8 years and at least $200 mil, and play in a little league park and hit 50 home runs...or, I could sign a one-year deal, sit on the bench half the game, be Miguel Cabrera's Scottie Pippen for six months, and play in a notoriously bad hitter's park where my power totals will likely drop a bit even if I have a good year. Hmmmm......."

mattym said:
"Let's see...I could go play for a team like Texas, the two-time defending AL champs, be their everyday first baseman, sign a contract for at least 8 years and at least $200 mil, and play in a little league park and hit 50 home runs...or, I could sign a one-year deal, sit on the bench half the game, be Miguel Cabrera's Scottie Pippen for six months, and play in a notoriously bad hitter's park where my power totals will likely drop a bit even if I have a good year. Hmmmm......."

He's playing in Comerica, not Petco.

CoPa is neutral, it is not a pitching park.

mjsb2 said:
mattym said:

He's playing in Comerica, not Petco.

CoPa is neutral, it is not a pitching park.

Yeah, you're right, after I wrote that I thought, "Well, it's not as not as bad as it used to be.." Certainly not as bad as the days of Juan Gone (and thank Christ he hated it here and didn't sign that contract).

Still think Fielder would rather go to a better hitter's park--and he'd certainly rather go someplace where he knows he can play first base every day.

I think the guys who gotta step it up now with no V-Mart are the starting pitchers. We should still have enough to win the division--then, in a five- or seven-game series, those starters have to be money. If they ain't it won't matter, V-Mart or no V-Mart.

Back