Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who wins the AL Central ?

biggunsbob

I still think the tigers win the division by 7-10 games..

The division is bad, but I can still see the Twinkies staying close.

Tigers by 6 games.

[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]The division is bad, but I can still see the Twinkies staying close.

Tigers by 6 games.

I agree.. DD will make some moves and we will get it done this year.. In all seriousness Victor probably could not make it through a full season without getting hurt.. He was fantastic and then his Knee went out... We need to get younger somehow and faster...Maybe he comes back better then ever in 2013..

Teams still have moves to make. This poll is a bit premature, I think.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="BestIsBest":92r669vt]The division is bad, but I can still see the Twinkies staying close.

Tigers by 6 games.

I agree.. DD will make some moves and we will get it done this year.. In all seriousness Victor probably could not make it through a full season without getting hurt.. He was fantastic and then his Knee went out... We need to get younger somehow and faster...Maybe he comes back better then ever in 2013..[/quote:92r669vt]

I would likely take a on and off the DL VMart for 3/4ths of a season than whoever (or not) the Tigers may (or may not) acquire to replace him. Plus, many if not most DH are former All-Stars and/or sluggers who are well into their downside or are entering into the twilight portions of their MLB careers.

Tigers' brass could simply decide to just use those players on their bench as DH in a rotational platoon, when they aren't scheduled to play on defense on the field. Dombrowski just about said as much when he was quoted as stating that the rest of the members of the team will need to"step up" to makeup for Victor's absence, soon after the club revealed that he was injured,and when DD was asked who he had in mind as a replacement.

So we Tigers fans might see such "notable" sluggers like Don Freaking Kelly, Razor Ramon Santiago, Eric (Who?) Patterson or maybe even our returning WS Champion Gerald Laird stroll up to the dish as the game DH.

Awesome!!

cool.png

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]

I agree.. DD will make some moves and we will get it done this year.. In all seriousness Victor probably could not make it through a full season without getting hurt.. He was fantastic and then his Knee went out... We need to get younger somehow and faster...Maybe he comes back better then ever in 2013..

I would likely take a on and off the DL VMart for 3/4ths of a season than whoever (or not) the Tigers may (or may not) acquire to replace him. Plus, many if not most DH are former All-Stars and/or sluggers who are well into their downside or are entering into the twilight portions of their MLB careers.

Tigers' brass could simply decide to just use those players on their bench as DH in a rotational platoon, when they aren't scheduled to play on defense on the field. Dombrowski just about said as much when he was quoted as stating that the rest of the members of the team will need to"step up" to makeup for Victor's absence, soon after the club revealed that he was injured,and when DD was asked who he had in mind as a replacement.

So we Tigers fans might see such "notable" sluggers like Don Freaking Kelly, Razor Ramon Santiago, Eric (Who?) Patterson or maybe even our returning WS Champion Gerald Laird stroll up to the dish as the game DH.

Awesome!!

cool.png

Lairds gonna be catching a ton of games...Avila in the DH slot to bat 6! lol, Dude couldnt even walk by the end of the year.

We're screwed. Oooh, we can win the ALC. Yeah for mediocrecy.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]We're screwed. Oooh, we can win the ALC. Yeah for mediocrecy.

The Tigers have won the Central exactly once in its history, so winning it again isn't nothing.

between the Sox and us, if Martinez was healthy, then us by 6 games.

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]We're screwed. Oooh, we can win the ALC. Yeah for mediocrecy.

The Tigers have won the Central exactly once in its history, so winning it again isn't nothing.

You make it sound like history is 100 years. And last year the other teams blew, how often in the Central have we've seen all 3 teams and KC stink that bad. And when we lost to Texas, it was the offense that let us down. I'm not sure anyone can say we're world series contenders with a straight face.

And now that the Tigers won a division Title, been to a WS let's win one.

hellifino said:
between the Sox and us, if Martinez was healthy, then us by 6 games.

Sox are going to finish in last place...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
JimRice said:

You make it sound like history is 100 years. And last year the other teams blew, how often in the Central have we've seen all 3 teams and KC stink that bad. And when we lost to Texas, it was the offense that let us down. I'm not sure anyone can say we're world series contenders with a straight face.

And now that the Tigers won a division Title, been to a WS let's win one.

Well, 1 division win in 14 years. So, no big deal, huh? Every 14 years is no big deal?

Add 2006 and it's 2 trips to the playoffs in over 20 years.

Yeah, winning the World Series would be great, but getting to the playoffs is a big deal. Thinking it isn't a big deal is crazy.

I agree with poster Jim Rice.
Folks tend to forget 2008 when the Tigers were picked by most as preseason favorites to win the whole enchilada.
Without looking, I seem to recall we finished last in the AL Central that year.

So never put your cart in front of the horse, in late January or early April

Getting to the playoffs and not winning a WS sucks. It's been 28 years. I get that getting to the playoffs is better than none at all but it was easy to see last season that our offense has too many holes. And now with no legit DH..

I guess there won't be any complaining if the Tigers are up by two in August at 56-56. As long as we're in first, you guys will be lined up. Last season there was so much complaining for a team always in the thick of it.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Getting to the playoffs and not winning a WS sucks. It's been 28 years. I get that getting to the playoffs is better than none at all but it was easy to see last season that our offense has too many holes. And now with no legit DH..

I guess there won't be any complaining if the Tigers are up by two in August at 56-56. As long as we're in first, you guys will be lined up. Last season there was so much complaining for a team always in the thick of it.

Speak for yourself on the "complaining last year". Last year was great and I often questioned why people would complain about a competitive team.

And it looks like I'll be doing it again. Why complain about a team that looks poised to defend their central title in the middle of January?

What the team doesn't have in January, they may have in April, or they may have in July. It seems incredibly silly to me to have fans gripe that their team isn't ready to enter a playoff series against Texas or NY right now. There's too much road between this point and the playoffs. It's going to take more than one in a row for me to take a Tiger's trip to the playoffs for granted.

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Getting to the playoffs and not winning a WS sucks. It's been 28 years. I get that getting to the playoffs is better than none at all but it was easy to see last season that our offense has too many holes. And now with no legit DH..

Speak for yourself on the "complaining last year". Last year was great and I often questioned why people would complain about a competitive team.

And it looks like I'll be doing it again. Why complain about a team that looks poised to defend their central title in the middle of January?

What the team doesn't have in January, they may have in April, or they may have in July. It seems incredibly silly to me to have fans gripe that their team isn't ready to enter a playoff series against Texas or NY right now. There's too much road between this point and the playoffs. It's going to take more than one in a row for me to take a Tiger's trip to the playoffs for granted.

100% agree Jim.

I was beside myself at times last season the way people complained about us not going to the WS, like they forget that there are 29 losers every single year, and finishing 4th (or 5th depending on how you look at it) among 30 teams is a pretty good year.

I for one, and super happy to be a competitive team, I'll even be happy making the playoffs in back-to-back years.

I didn't complain either but most did. But I think its that time where we should be going the next step. 2 playoffs in a row, whoop dee doo.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I didn't complain either but most did. But I think its that time where we should be going the next step. 2 playoffs in a row, whoop dee doo.

Yea, whoop dee doo.

Go tell that to a Royals or O's fan.

We are fortunate that we have an owner who spends money, and a GM that has made some very good moves.

You're like a person living in a 3 bedroom house bitching he's not living in a mansion, while your peers live in cardboard refrigerator boxes.

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Mitch":zxqxeqv9]I didn't complain either but most did. But I think its that time where we should be going the next step. 2 playoffs in a row, whoop dee doo.

Yea, whoop dee doo.

Go tell that to a Royals or O's fan.

We are fortunate that we have an owner who spends money, and a GM that has made some very good moves.

You're like a person living in a 3 bedroom house bitching he's not living in a mansion, while your peers live in cardboard refrigerator boxes.[/quote:zxqxeqv9]

Tigers brass now has the VMart injury '12 season excuse card tucked safely and securely in their collective vest pocket, so no matter if Tigers fans were satisfied or not with their off-season moves (or the lack of them), pre-injury, its pretty much a moot point now, IMO.

The chances of DD upgrading/adding to one or more of 2B, 3B, and 5th SP, and to a lesser degree, their potentially horrific leadoff hitter spot in the lineup, has become that much slimmer, now that their DH slot is also unfilled.

Back