Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers considering Damon + Pierre

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/tigers-considering-johnny-damon.html
Tigers considering Johnny Damon.
from mlbtraderumors

http://motorcitybengals.com/2012/01/20/are-the-tigers-considering-johnny-damon/
Tigers considering Johnny Damon? 1/20.
from mcb-tb

Morosi says Damon is a "stronger possibility" for the Tigers than Derrek Lee, who has also been mentioned as an option. Damon, who batted .271/.355/.401 with eight homers and 11 steals in 2010 for Detroit, would be able to help out in the DH slot with the loss of Victor Martinez and also can play some left field should the Tigers choose to use Delmon Young as a DH, as well.
rotoworld

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/01/report_detroit_pursuing_former.html
Report: Detroit 'pursuing' former Tigers designated hitter Johnny Damon.
from Mlive

Johnny is the 27th player the Tigers have considered this winter. Hopefully Dombrowski goes 0-27 and passes on Johnny.

I would rather the Tigers had signed Damon instead of Ordonez last off-season, but had they done so, then perhaps VMart and/or Young would not have been on the team? Dunno if having Johnny on the team would have made any difference in the outcome of the postseason, but quite obviously Maggs didn't. I could see the Tigers signing Damon to replace VMart, but regardless, whoever they wind up with may and probably will not set well with everyone if anyone, so I am already prepared for that eventuality.

I don't see a problem with Damon if he's cheap.

Still decent on the bases, and in the field.

None of the guy we're looking at are high BA. or OBP. guys anyways, and Johnny might have some leadership qualities that we sorely needs after losing Victor.

kingofdetroit57 said:
They updated the article to say we're looking at Damon AND Pierre now.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/tigers-considering-johnny-damon.html

Would the Tigers acquire Pierre with the notion for him to possibly DH and/or be a PT OFer for them, while maybe also batting leadoff on occasion, esp. if AJax continues to "flail" @ that spot in the lineup next season?

If so, there can't have been that many ever since the DH was first implemented by the AL in '73...maybe Rickey Henderson once in a while, when with an AL team during the final quarter of his career?

I'll jump right back on the fire DD bandwagon if the rumors that he's even considering Pierre are true.

mjsb2 said:
I'll jump right back on the fire DD bandwagon if the rumors that he's even considering Pierre are true.
me too. some idiot will probably sign pierre, but it better not be DD.

Even contemplating Pierre as on option should be grounds for an automatic firing if you are a GM.

I really thought this might be an off season where we get some improvements. Especially on offense. So far, nada.

I'd rather that DD stand pat than sign Damon or *gag* Pierre. Like Leyland said: Raburn has to play to his potential.

smayschmouthfootball said:
I'd rather that DD stand pat than sign Damon or *gag* Pierre. Like Leyland said: Raburn has to play to his potential.

OMG... RABURN + POTENTIAL+ MORE PLAYING TIME = 30 ERRORS !

I don't think Damon would be bad. He's capable of a .340 OBP, which would help the top of the line up. Based on last year, Damon wouldn't be any worse than Vlad or Carlos Lee. Any of those older guys would be a gamble on what they can do in 2012.

Pierre would be terrible and very disappointing.

Back