Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Yahoo! discloses hack of over 1 billion accounts

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Probably a good idea to change your password. If you use the same password for lots of things, I recommend changing them all. Tedious but worth it.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/14/yahoo-discloses-hack-of-1-billion-accounts/

Yahoo has suffered another hack.

The company disclosed today that it has discovered a breach of more than one billion user accounts that occurred in August 2013. The breach is believed to be separate and distinct from the theft of data from 500 million accounts that Yahoo reported this September.

Troublingly, Yahoo?s chief information security officer Bob Lord says that the company hasn?t been able to determine how the data from the one billion accounts was stolen. ?We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft,? Lord wrote in a post announcing the hack.

?The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers,? Lord added.

Yahoo was alerted to the massive breach by law enforcement and has examined the data with the help of outside forensic experts. The data does not appear to include payment details or plaintext passwords, but it?s still bad news for Yahoo account holders. The hashing algorithm MD5 is no longer considered secure and MD5 hashes can easily be looked up online to discover the passwords they hide.

Shitty. Hope the 65 year old average user can figure out how to change passwords.

I changed the PW and now have a code texted to my phone. Would that hackers who are caught are penalized by getting their fingers chopped off with a sledgehammer. Not really.

Last edited:
I changed the PW and now have a code texted to my phone. Would that hackers who are caught are penalized by getting their fingers chopped off with a sledgehammer. Not really.

Sledge hammers are better for crushing fingers; not necessarily chopping them off.

8045513-safety-directions-sledgehammer-hit-the-fingers-of-a-man.jpg

If you wanna chop shit off, you're much better off going with a meat cleaver.

29A9074300000578-3126161-image-a-22_1434459821087.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ It's like what Alan Rickman said about "cutting his heart out with a spoon" in Robin Hood. And why is Hassan not chopping at that arm?

^^^^^^^^^ It's like what Alan Rickman said about "cutting his heart out with a spoon" in Robin Hood. And why is Hassan not chopping at that arm?

I think the ISIL is more into the sawing motion of limb removal/decapitation, rather than the more efficient (one would think) single swipe chop blow...

I think the ISIL is more into the sawing motion of limb removal/decapitation, rather than the more efficient (one would think) single swipe chop blow...

Man, I am not very good with the subtext recently. Maybe it's just all in my head.

Oh.

If you were making some kind of reference to some Ronco infomercial, I missed it.

I was thinking about the WB episode where Bugs and Daffy find the hidden treasure. And the Third Man reference in the Harbaugh thread was perhaps to subtle, too. (sic)

Last edited:
Changed mine back in September, and decided it is best to do again.

Sent an email to friends and family as well.

stop using yahoo, gmail, etc and find a smaller, less likely to be targeted email provider

I was thinking about the WB episode where Bugs and Daffy find the hidden treasure. And the Third Man reference in the Harbaugh thread was perhaps to subtle, too. (sic)

I got it. Great movie.

When Orson Welles finally makes his appearance... great scene.

I just didn't mention it because I was curious if any of the uncultured slobs who post here would get it.

I got it. Great movie.

When Orson Welles finally makes his appearance... great scene.

I just didn't mention it because I was curious if any of the uncultured slobs who post here would get it.

I found a five minute clip called "Ali Baba Bunny" where there's this Arabic type character (I know that sounds racist) and there are references to him chopping - is that not it?

the scene about 5:30 in where Popeye tries to order breakfast, and the menu is in Arabic? we'd be rolling on the floor laughing...

Passwords should be different on every site, they should be at least 16 characters.. using all different things, letter, cap letter, number and symbols. And saving passwords through the browsers password manager is never a good idea.. And logging out of each website when done using them..

Back