Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Off season moves

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/01/tigers_arbitration.html#incart_river_index
Tigers arbitration: Deals reached with all 6 eligible players.
Mlive

Unless I'm missing something this bring the Tigers to 18 players making $194,550,000. Six more at around 500,000 = 3 M's more will put them at around 197. Not much room for a Centerfielder. Shoot they are all ready over the tax threshold. Heck go for broke trade for Trout. Make it a season to remember.

But really they will be in fair shape next season with 138,125,000. on the books. Of course that's all so; 4 FA's and 10 arb's to fill. ouch

If they are going to make a run in 2017. Throw in the kitchen sink and put up and get it done this season. The problem is I really do not see a good/great CF to be had. IE they have a few out of options position players that need to be traded. But I do not see that being enough. No player development in the keys positions has brought them to this!

Arbitration

Expected vs Actual

J. Iglesias $3.2M - $4.1M (+$900k)

N. Castellanos $2.8M - $3.0M (+$200k)

A. Romine $1.2M - $1.3M (+$100k)

J. Wilson $2.7M - $2.7M (even)

A. Wilson $1.2M - $1.175M (-$25k)

B. Rondon $900k - $850k (-$50k)

This brings the projected 25-man Opening Day Roster to just under $200M ($199.4M).

Less than 3 weeks until pitchers and catchers start spring training. Looks like they will pretty much have the same team as last year except no MLB level CF.

Arbitration

Expected vs Actual

J. Iglesias $3.2M - $4.1M (+$900k)

N. Castellanos $2.8M - $3.0M (+$200k)

A. Romine $1.2M - $1.3M (+$100k)

J. Wilson $2.7M - $2.7M (even)

A. Wilson $1.2M - $1.175M (-$25k)

B. Rondon $900k - $850k (-$50k)

This brings the projected 25-man Opening Day Roster to just under $200M ($199.4M).

Does that include everything? It looks like the luxury tax threshold is $195M this year.

I would like to say IMO the Tigers have once again jumped the gun. Grabbing too early. Now that, "Matt Wieters"; a bargain buy for win-now Nationals, "ESPN" Page, has signed for around 8 to 9 mill more than bad knee Alex. Who played so well for the sox last season. Really did not realize he only played 57 games in 2016!

The Nats were able to sign Matt for 21 mill for 2 years with an opt out as well. For all the money Tigers are playing, how could you not have not tried to get him for this season run.

I would like to say IMO the Tigers have once again jumped the gun. Grabbing too early. Now that, "Matt Wieters"; a bargain buy for win-now Nationals, "ESPN" Page, has signed for around 8 to 9 mill more than bad knee Alex. Who played so well for the sox last season. Really did not realize he only played 57 games in 2016!

The Nats were able to sign Matt for 21 mill for 2 years with an opt out as well. For all the money Tigers are playing, how could you not have not tried to get him for this season run.

because they are trying to lower payroll, not increase it

Matt Wieters in highly, highly overrated.

Last 3 Years C WAR (31 qualify with at least 800 PAs)

20. A. Avila (885 PA) = 3.6
21. M. Wieters (858 PA) = 3.6

Matt Wieters in highly, highly overrated.

Last 3 Years C WAR (31 qualify with at least 800 PAs)

20. A. Avila (885 PA) = 3.6
21. M. Wieters (858 PA) = 3.6

Hard to believe they are that close in war. But even more how Alex has a .348 career obp and Matt is only .318!
But I feel health favers Wieters more and that bats both sides has advantages as well. But Matt's Homeruns deliver the instance run, a little more.

But yea that 3.6 speak quite a bit. As for now the die is cast. Time will tell the tale.

Hard to believe they are that close in war. But even more how Alex has a .348 career obp and Matt is only .318!
But I feel health favers Wieters more and that bats both sides has advantages as well. But Matt's Homeruns deliver the instance run, a little more.

But yea that 3.6 speak quite a bit. As for now the die is cast. Time will tell the tale.

Wieters is more of a health liability than Avila. He cannot stay healthy.

Last 3 years OBP

A. Avila .337
M. Wieters .313
J. Saltalamacchia .306
J. McCann .284

Last 3 years vs RHP

A. Avila .346
M. Wieters .319
J. Saltalamacchia .312
J. McCann .263

Last 3 years vs LHP

J. McCann .335
A. Avila .305
M. Wieters .294
J. Saltalamacchia .286

With McCann, we don't need a someone who can hit LHP as well as RHP. I am all for McCann playing against LHP. Saltalamacchia brought HRs, but not much else.

Defensive Rankings past 3 years (1,500 innings minimum, 35 Qualify)

13. A. Avila
15. J. McCann

26. M. Wieters
34. J. Saltalamacchia

There's a reason Wieters wasn't signed until spring training started. GMs new he is over rated.

Back