Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible new extra inning rule

Hey this gives me an idea and my idea is genius.
They should set a limit on trips to the mound for each pitcher in an inning.

On the second trip to the mound for any pitcher in the same inning, that pitcher has to be replaced.

If they made that a rule that would speed up the game substantially.

I'm sensing your typical sarcasm....did you already post this earlier...or did I?

The breaks between innings are not the problem. It is the lack of action during play. Batters step out of the box way too much. Too many visits to the mound. Too many pitching changes. Too many throws over to 1B. Pitchers taking too much time between pitches. These are the types of things that really slow the game down.

They should implement the pitchers clock. They should be very strict about batters calling timeout and stepping out of the box. They should give teams timeouts to use for visits to the mound and set a limit per game. It's hard to come up with fixes to the number of pitching changes per game and throws over to 1B. I'd be in favor of setting a minimum batters faced in an inning type of thing for relievers but that is kind of drastic. Hell, I'd even be in favor of a "runners box" at 1B that the base runner has to stay in until the pitcher makes his move towards the mound.

All that said, I still love watching baseball (the Tigers) more than any other sport.

But keeping guys in the box saves nothing comparing to between innings time. Same with batter timeouts. An extra 2 minutes a game won't do anything. If they believe game times effect people tuning in more to watch MLB only one route.. 3 minutes down to 1 could cut the game 40 minutes. A 9 inning game.

One foot in the box on pitches not contacted. 12-second rule for pitchers with no runners on. That would condense game times substantially. One minute is not feasible for inning breaks. The pitcher gets 60 seconds to get his eight pitches in after he picks up the ball. Two minutes is more realistic.

But keeping guys in the box saves nothing comparing to between innings time. Same with batter timeouts. An extra 2 minutes a game won't do anything. If they believe game times effect people tuning in more to watch MLB only one route.. 3 minutes down to 1 could cut the game 40 minutes. A 9 inning game.

Dude you are completely missing it.

That's 40 minutes less of multiple revenue streams.

It's the difference between the red and the black.

Dude you are completely missing it.

That's 40 minutes less of multiple revenue streams.

It's the difference between the red and the black.

Time for the players to be veritable billboards. Logos on every surface of their unis.

One foot in the box on pitches not contacted. 12-second rule for pitchers with no runners on. That would condense game times substantially. One minute is not feasible for inning breaks. The pitcher gets 60 seconds to get his eight pitches in after he picks up the ball. Two minutes is more realistic.

60 seconds is too long for pitchers. Make it a minute and a half then. If they can make a pitch, in game, within 12 seconds, then they can can make a pitch, in warmups, in 6 seconds. Or just limit them to 5 pitches in warm up. 3 minutes on average is way too long. It;s not like they haven't already warmed up.

Last edited:
I attend multiple AAA games a year and most have no difficulty being under 2.5 hrs. And even AAA games have media/sponsor events going on during half innings.

MLB, on games not nationally televised, are already suppose to be 2 minutes, 5 seconds between half innings and they still average over 3 minutes. They do not need to create new rules, they just need to properly enforce the rules that already exist.

Last edited:
I attend multiple AAA games a year and most have no difficulty being under 2.5 hrs. And even AAA games have media/sponsor events going on during half innings.

MLB, on games not nationally televised, are already suppose to be 2 minutes, 5 seconds between half innings and they still average over 3 minutes. They do not need to create new rules, they just need to properly enforce the rules that already exist.

I know the rule and the one thing that can change that, umpires who move the game along. The same umpires who are suppose to enforce the real strike zone. So I have no hope for that.

Man on 2nd, no outs (career)

N. Castellanos .529 BAVG .600 OBP .941 SLG 1.541 OPS
M. Mahtook .429 BAVG .429 OBP 1.000 SLG 1.429 OPS
J.D. Martinez .424 BAVG .537 OBP .788 SLG 1.324 OPS
A. Romine .545 BAVG .615 OBP .545 SLG 1.161 OPS
J. Iglesias .471 BAVG .526 OBP .529 SLG 1.056 OPS
M. Cabrera .336 BAVG .422 OBP .594 SLG 1.016 OPS
J. Upton .333 BAVG .415 OBP .548 SLG .963 OPS
I. Kinsler .307 BAVG .417 OBP .495 SLG .912 OPS

A. Avila .167 BAVG .310 OBP .396 SLG .706 OPS
V. Martinez .259 BAVG .333 OBP .352 SLG .685 OPS
J. McCann .188 BAVG .188 OBP .438 SLG .626 OPS