Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Another state pushes Anti Union Laws

OSHA, anti-discrimination and a host of other employment laws.

My guess a union member has a far better chance in getting Osha involved then a non-union member. There is a reason Corporations, and business owners hate unions. They help the employee get better wages, insurance, working hours. It is amazing to me in America people would try to disenfranchise groups who try and better themselves by banding together. Right to work states seem draconian and Un-American to me. But I guess that is how the country is going by having the power reside with just a select few Powerful individuals with the power to fire you for no cause.

My guess a union member has a far better chance in getting Osha involved then a non-union member. There is a reason Corporations, and business owners hate unions. They help the employee get better wages, insurance, working hours. It is amazing to me in America people would try to disenfranchise groups who try and better themselves by banding together. Right to work states seem draconian and Un-American to me. But I guess that is how the country is going by having the power reside with just a select few Powerful individuals with the power to fire you for no cause.

you keep talking about "fire you for no cause". Do you think this is a problem in our country in non union America? You know, the other 89% of the US workforce?

you keep talking about "fire you for no cause". Do you think this is a problem in our country in non union America? You know, the other 89% of the US workforce?

there's a reason why "labor and employment" is one of the larger practice areas among lawyers.

and it's not one of those stupid lawyer jokes either.

I just feel employors should not be able to fire without due cause. Hopefully they do that. But my guess is the only looked at one thing. It feels to me that most companies want it all. Less regulation so they can pollute the world to death,Low wages, they fight paying insurance at all cost. I find it laughable any CEO would defend $7.25 a hour as a livable wage in today's world. Maybe your right and compaines are all on the up and up and do not fire people as often as I think but I am postive there is a silent majority that wishes they could speak out. Plus another thing. Why do compaines fight unions tooth and nail. Because they empower workers and help them obtain a better life in most cases.

I just feel employors should not be able to fire without due cause. Hopefully they do that. But my guess is the only looked at one thing. It feels to me that most companies want it all. Less regulation so they can pollute the world to death,Low wages, they fight paying insurance at all cost. I find it laughable any CEO would defend $7.25 a hour as a livable wage in today's world. Maybe your right and compaines are all on the up and up and do not fire people as often as I think but I am postive there is a silent majority that wishes they could speak out. Plus another thing. Why do compaines fight unions tooth and nail. Because they empower workers and help them obtain a better life in most cases.

First, I thing you would be hard pressed to find a CEO that claims that minimum wage is meant to be a "living wage".

Second, I think an employer should be able to terminate an employee's employment as long as it isn't discrimination. Let's say I have 10 employees. 9 do a great job and the 10th isn't good. If I feel it is in my best interest to fire that person and replace him, shouldn't I be free to do so?

there's a reason why "labor and employment" is one of the larger practice areas among lawyers.

and it's not one of those stupid lawyer jokes either.

yeah, because lawyers like to sue people who have money. everybody knows that.

do you really think companies want less regulation so they can pollute the world to death? Employers don't fight paying insurance at all costs. Most people with health insurance get it through their employers and it's been that way for decades.

Also, CEOs don't defend 7.25/hour as a livable wage. They defend it as a means to employ people who are only worth 7.25/hr. They realize it's a stepping stone, not a career. What I find laughable is that people like you think that every job, regardless of the skills required should pay a living wage.

companies fight unions because they're bad for companies. they institute insane work rules and regulations and they make it impossible to fire people who deserve to be fired. If you don't believe that, just look at the story about UAW workers in detroit drinking and getting high on their lunch break. They were fired as they should have been, but the union got every one of them reinstated with back pay. That's absurd. Google NYC rubber rooms and see that teachers who have no business being employed, some should even be in jail, are sitting around playing cards, sleeping or doing nothing all day at the cost of $25mm/year to the public school system.

Back