Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Panthers acquire Vanek for McIlrath, pick

Vanek for a 3rd and a 3rd pairing Dman?

Talk about getting a poor return. Maybe Holland felt bad about fleecing NYR on the Smith deal.

Last edited:
Yeah they made it sound on the broadcast last night that Vanek was worth a bunch :/

This deal looks like very so so to me.

Holland plans on drafting the next Patrick Kane with that third rounder.

It was clearly a buyers market if you look at what the other returns were around the league. Rumors are that Vanek really doesn't have a good reputation around the league. Kenny got what he could for him. Wings will also have a good shot at signing him again in free agency this summer if they choose to.

It was clearly a buyers market if you look at what the other returns were around the league. Rumors are that Vanek really doesn't have a good reputation around the league. Kenny got what he could for him. Wings will also have a good shot at signing him again in free agency this summer if they choose to.

Yeah I did not know this but on the radio I guess they said with advanced scouting you can deduce that coaches in recent years have been protecting Vanek.

I believe what you are referring to is the the percentage of offensive zone starts. In general, a "sheltered" player will feature an offensive zone start greater than 55%. Vanek has been "sheltered" his entire NHL career! You generally see this with new players in the league or those with massive defensive deficiencies. Vanek's 70+% is completely ridiculous!!!!

Vanek-Possesion_zpsrdqqysww.jpg

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/vanekth01-advanced.html

Red Wings this season thus far;

detroit%20possesion%202017_zps7zmwwhuc.jpg

Just for reference to compare with the rest of the team.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/2017.html

Vanek is not, IMO, one to have on a team that is rebuilding.

Vanek is not, IMO, one to have on a team that is rebuilding.

Yeah,but Ken Holland doesn't plan on rebuilding. If the wings were truly rebuilding they would basically sell off everything they have except for 4 or 5 of the younger guys for picks. He said on the radio yesterday they will do everything they can to make the playoffs again next year. With the wings current roster, a "true" rebuild will take 4 or 5 years. I want the wings to seriously rebuild the team so they have a legit shot to contend for the cup in 4 or 5 years, but sadly as long as Holland is in charge it won't happen.

Yeah,but Ken Holland doesn't plan on rebuilding. If the wings were truly rebuilding they would basically sell off everything they have except for 4 or 5 of the younger guys for picks. He said on the radio yesterday they will do everything they can to make the playoffs again next year. With the wings current roster, a "true" rebuild will take 4 or 5 years. I want the wings to seriously rebuild the team so they have a legit shot to contend for the cup in 4 or 5 years, but sadly as long as Holland is in charge it won't happen.

The problem is that 4 or 5 years of crap guarantee's nothing. You go down that rebuild rabbit's hole you might not get back for many many years. Look at the Philly NBA team , and with all those high draft picks they still aren't near a good team.

I'll agree with this, and that the Wings have a lot of floating driftwood that is overpriced so that they can't exchange it for much of value.

Don't worry, Stephen Weiss buyout ends at end of 2020-21 season.

Contracts that expire after 2020 season;
2019-20: Franzen, Ericsson
2020-21: Helm, Zetterberg, Glendening
2021-22: Nielsen, DeKeyser
2022-23: Abdelkader

I categorize all these contracts as bad. The Zetterberg less so but the rest.... just awful.

Great stuff guys !!! Thanks PH for finding that graf. That was exactly what they were talking about . Holy crap Vanek just plays no defense. No wonder we receive so little.

Back