Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL salary cap for 2017 season set at $167 million

Soon, they're be at 200m, MLB will be at 300m - and ticket prices and everything else will be ridiculously overpriced.

Salaries go up proportional to the cap it seems. Ticket prices goes up as well.
We will see ticket prices continue to go up because our president thinks they need to be higher to compete. The lack of money made off of tickets is holding this team back.

they are still paying. Total attendance last year was 11th all time.

But compared to other sports it's not, and at this rate since kids generally don't care about baseball much it's going to get worse.

One example, I moved to Arizona almost 4 years ago. I figured great I can go to some ST games (There are a few stadiums within 15-20 minutes of me). Excited, until I saw the prices. With all the shit they add on, 2 tickets 65 bucks. For spring training? And they weren't prime tickets but the cheapest they had.

I even read some MLB clubs charge extra to see batting practice. That's fucked up.. It was a different time but I remember '84, I went to probably 40 games. Sat in the bleachers 4 bucks a game. $160 for 40 games. They even had a season in the bleachers where the was price was $2.50. I understand inflation though prices for a game go way past inflation.. I just want it to be affordable again..

But compared to other sports it's not, and at this rate since kids generally don't care about baseball much it's going to get worse.

One example, I moved to Arizona almost 4 years ago. I figured great I can go to some ST games (There are a few stadiums within 15-20 minutes of me). Excited, until I saw the prices. With all the shit they add on, 2 tickets 65 bucks. For spring training? And they weren't prime tickets but the cheapest they had.

I even read some MLB clubs charge extra to see batting practice. That's fucked up.. It was a different time but I remember '84, I went to probably 40 games. Sat in the bleachers 4 bucks a game. $160 for 40 games. They even had a season in the bleachers where the was price was $2.50. I understand inflation though prices for a game go way past inflation.. I just want it to be affordable again..

Couldn't help it, just had to check. Inflation would put that 160 at about $375 today. A half season package currently online is about $2000. Assuming you are remembering correctly (not a dig at you, memory just isn't very reliable for anyone) that's an insane increase in value.

Couldn't help it, just had to check. Inflation would put that 160 at about $375 today. A half season package currently online is about $2000. Assuming you are remembering correctly (not a dig at you, memory just isn't very reliable for anyone) that's an insane increase in value.

Yep, $4. It was awesome. As a 18-19 year old it was great entertainment.

Last edited:
The salary cap is a 50/50 split of league revenues, after expenses, with owners, divided by 32 teams.

The more money the league brings in, the higher the cap goes. There is both a floor and a cap, so teams are required to spend a certain amount minimum.

They don't raise the cap due to salaries going up. Salaries go up due to the raise in the cap as a result of revenue. And it really impacts advertising more than fans.

Fans generally don't see an increase when the cap goes up. It's a reflection of Budweiser paying more to be the official "King of Beers of the NFL" and DirectTV paying through the nose to keep the rights to Sunday Ticket. The money they pay for that kind of stuff completely dwarfs all fan spending at stadiums every season.

There aren't enough of us with tickets to ever amount to what one beer company spends to have their name all over the NFL.

The salary cap is a 50/50 split of league revenues, after expenses, with owners, divided by 32 teams.

The more money the league brings in, the higher the cap goes. There is both a floor and a cap, so teams are required to spend a certain amount minimum.

They don't raise the cap due to salaries going up. Salaries go up due to the raise in the cap as a result of revenue. And it really impacts advertising more than fans.

Fans generally don't see an increase when the cap goes up. It's a reflection of Budweiser paying more to be the official "King of Beers of the NFL" and DirectTV paying through the nose to keep the rights to Sunday Ticket. The money they pay for that kind of stuff completely dwarfs all fan spending at stadiums every season.

There aren't enough of us with tickets to ever amount to what one beer company spends to have their name all over the NFL.

Just take the prices of tickets used to be, look at inflation, and now. Fans get screwed.. And what happens if Directv ST goes away, will they lower tickets, or hot dog prices etc? And guess what happens with higher cap, more stadiums. Who pays for that, we do. You don't even have to like football and around the country you're paying for these stadiums.

Last edited:
Just take the prices of tickets used to be, look at inflation, and now. Fans get screwed.. And what happens if Directv ST goes away, will they lower tickets, or hot dog prices etc? And guess what happens with higher cap, more stadiums. Who pays for that, we do. You don't even have to like football and around the country you're paying for these stadiums.

the NFL raises ticket prices because there is a demand for the tickets. The only way they would lower them is if people stopped coming to the games. It's simple supply and demand.

the NFL raises ticket prices because there is a demand for the tickets. The only way they would lower them is if people stopped coming to the games. It's simple supply and demand.

Usually it's no demand, 3 years later they might lower the cost of the supply. It should be based on long term success if anything. 2013 they raised priced 8.6%. That was after a 4-12 season. Before this past season it went up another 4.1%, after a 7-9 season. Something fk'd up about that.

Attendance wise, from '11 to '12 it stayed the same. From '14 to '15 it went down. Make sense of that.

When you're shit, and attendance is not going up dramatically prices at the most should stay within the current inflation.

Usually it's no demand, 3 years later they might lower the cost of the supply. It should be based on long term success if anything. 2013 they raised priced 8.6%. That was after a 4-12 season. Before this past season it went up another 4.1%, after a 7-9 season. Something fk'd up about that.

Attendance wise, from '11 to '12 it stayed the same. From '14 to '15 it went down. Make sense of that.

When you're shit, and attendance is not going up dramatically prices at the most should stay within the current inflation.

you seem to forget that professional sports are businesses.

Back