Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joe Mixon

tomdalton22

Bob Quinn said he is dissapointed Joe Mixon wasn't invited to the combine.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ted-oklahoma-sooners-rb-joe-mixon-not-combine

"We're going to leave the door open on Joe. I think it's really disappointing that Joe's not here," Quinn said. "We come here to see the best college football players in college football. So there's 330, 340-some odd players here. Him not being here, because of those issues, personally I don't think that's real fair because we have a lot of investigation that we want to do on him and to get him in one spot for all the teams would have been great.

"I'm not part of those decisions about how guys are chosen but I think it is a disappointment that guys like him, there's a few others you can put in that category, that we're going to be chasing around the month of March and April and it's really unfair to the players to be honest with you. So the door is open and I'd like to be able to get a chance to sit down with the people that know Joe or Joe and see what the circumstances were around the incident."

Quinn said Mixon is still on Detroit's draft board but that it would be "a long conversation" before he felt comfortable about drafting the 6-1, 227-pounder. He also said if the Lions were to decide they wanted to draft Mixon, it is "absolutely, yes," a decision he would run by team owner Martha Ford.

Drafting him in the later rounds wouldn't bother me. Kid made a huge mistake, and will be under a microscope his entire career, if he even gets a chance in the NFL.

The fact bob Quinn said it's "unfair" is a total farce. The guy is lucky he isn't in jail, this is beyond fair that the guy sits out the combine. What's unfair is a girl getting her face destroyed by some sucker punch.

I am torn on the subject. I agree with both KDP and Sparty.....The kid made a huge mistake and his judgement is questionable at best. If reports come back he hangs with a suspect crowd and doesn't listen to his coaches.....I wouldn't touch him. If he has sincerely tried to turn his life around since them.....I don't have a problem with being a Lion.

That said...I have ZERO problem with him not getting invited. When you make poor decisions you have to pay the piper. If teams are interested in taking a shot, they can do the research on their own time and dime. I'm sure he'll be at OK's pro day.

Agree with him not being there. He made a huge mistake and should pay for it. Quinn's zero tolerance policy has kind of gone out the window.

I am torn on the subject. I agree with both KDP and Sparty.....The kid made a huge mistake and his judgement is questionable at best. If reports come back he hangs with a suspect crowd and doesn't listen to his coaches.....I wouldn't touch him. If he has sincerely tried to turn his life around since them.....I don't have a problem with being a Lion.

That said...I have ZERO problem with him not getting invited. When you make poor decisions you have to pay the piper. If teams are interested in taking a shot, they can do the research on their own time and dime. I'm sure he'll be at OK's pro day.

Also to clarify my original post, if all the background checks come out fine and it genuinely seems Mixon regrets his actions and made a one time bad mistake, then I don't have a problem with someone targeting him in the mid to late rounds. I have a problem with any discipline thrown on him being called "unfair" and for acting like it never happened.

I agree with Mr. Quinn. Sure, the kid did a bad thing and should be punished but that is what the legal system is for. If he is going to be allowed to play in the NFL then he should be allowed at the combine. I watched the appalling video and am not a fan but at the same time he, like everyone else, gets a second chance. Personally, I'm tired of athletes being singled out every time they make a wrong move. Just because your ass isn't talented enough to make millions playing sports shouldn't mean that you get to be so critical of their every action.

Im fine with him not being invited to the combine....you do something that fucked up then there should be consequences.

At the same time i understand Quins point.....its his job to interview him and see if hes qualified for the job. No better place for teams to do that than at the combine while all teams are present. Now youll have 20 teams that have to go to his pro day and that day will be laced with interviews instead of just letting the kid test.

Last edited:
Im fine with him not being invited to the combine....you do something that fucked up then there should be consequences.

At the same time i understand Quins point.....its his job to interview him and see if hes qualified for the job. No better place for teams to do that than at the combine while all teams are present. Now youll have 20 teams that have to go to his pro day and that day will be laced with interviews instead of just letting the kid test.

He's still going to test and test well I guess. The kid is a borderline 1st rd talent IMO. He did a terrible thing but everyone should be given a second chance. I would love it if the Lions picked up this kid in the later rds...

The Lions were one of four teams(Saints, Bengals and Browns) to meet with Mixon before his pro day today.

If he checks out, spend a 3rd at most on him. If someone wants to risk a 2nd rd pick, let them.

Sadly, the NFL has a lot of players with checkered pasts who have done pretty bad things. If he can help you win and he's there in the 3rd or 4th round, pick him up. A good RB is needed big time on this team.

It's a win-now league, and basically a win at all costs league.

Last edited:
Sadly, the NFL has a lot of players with checkered pasts who have done pretty bad things. If he can help you win and he's there in the 3rd or 4th round, pick him up. A good RB is needed big time on this team.

It's a win-now league, and basically a win at all costs league.

Not sure it's win at all cost but Mixon is one thing we don't have, a big back. I could see him running behind Burton.. Just bowl them over.

This kid is going in the 2nd rd now. Hope it's Detroit

All the tools, and ran well. Yeah, 2nd round is fair. Not sure we should address RB that early though. I'd be fine with teammate Perrine a bit later

Back