Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Last edited:
Derek Hill hit a bump in the road last summer when he underwent Tommy John surgery. When he returns later this season, he?ll continue his quest to be the next Torii Hunter.

Detroit?s 2014 first-round pick is a defensively-gifted centerfielder, and he grew up admiring the erstwhile Twins, Angels, and Tigers fly-catcher.

?I model myself after Torii Hunter? Hill told me shortly before suffering his injury. ?His aggressiveness, his desire for the ball. He was a nine-time Gold Glove winner. How could you not love that??

Hill had an opportunity to learn from his hero prior to last season, when he spent a week-plus at Hunter?s house. The advice he received was golden.

?He talked to me about trusting my instincts and not getting too caught up in the mechanics of the game,? explained the 21-year-old former California prep. ?He said to just go out there and have fun, and don?t press too much. He said to pretty much act like it?s a high school game.?

The speedy youngster looks up to current big-leaguers as well, but for him, none can match up to his longtime idol.

?I like Mookie Betts a lot,? said Hill. ?He?s another guy who is aggressive and trusts his instincts. He?s kind of a role model, but for me, no one will be more of one than Torii. Growing up, I always wore his number. I tried to tailor my game specifically to his.?

Fangraphs

Tigers have confirmed release of Austin Kubitza. Another source shares he struggled to find footing in Spring Training.
Kubitza, a 4th-round draft pick out of Rice, was organization's minor-league pitcher of year in '14 after dominant season w/ West Michigan.

Back