Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Frankie Rodriguez might be hurt after WBC game

Yeah I hate being negative but it just seems like this is already the beginnings of another frustrating "if only X hadn't been hurt" kind of season.

Was anyone really looking at this season and thinking even if we were 100% healthy all season long we would still be any kind of powerhouse in the A.L.?

Was anyone really looking at this season and thinking even if we were 100% healthy all season long we would still be any kind of powerhouse in the A.L.?

1 Verlander, 2 Fulmer,3 Norris, 4 Boyd, 5 either Zimmerman or Sanchez come back season. And the starting 9 running on all 8 would give the AL a run for the money. Why do you pay 200 million to finish out of the running. Starting pitching is a big deal. Two season ago the Mets put it together with young pitching.

The thing I fear is the Bull Pen and the bench. We got 5,6 hitters that could hit 25 or more HR's.
I'm not saying they are going to run away with any thing. But healthy they are solid.
To answer your post, I'm a leaning to you can bet your star trek quote Mr. Scott I'm a looking forward to the season.

Yeah. I think we can contend for a playoff spot. If Indians struggle, a division title. We have some solid hitters, chance to have a nice rotation - not sure about the BP.

Not sure the AL is loaded or anything.. I have much hope.

Last edited:

Powerhouse? No but this team, if it stays healthy and the kids pitch, can contend.

I don't know, seems like quite a bit went wrong last year and we were only 2-3 games out from the playoffs. Not crazy to think that Zimmerman is better than last year and that we get more out of our #4 and #5 pitchers than what Sanchez and Pelfrey gave us last year. Also, I'd bet money that the bullpen can't possibly be as bad as last year.

I personally wouldn't be shocked if we were a better team this year than last. In fact, I expect them to be.

Says all 30 teams..

No...maybe 15. There are some teams that don't have delusions.

Detroit has the worst defense, worst baserunning and one of the worst bullpens. They did absolutely nothing to improve in those areas. 7 key contributors are past the age of 32, 5 of which are critical and cannot miss time due to injuries. The ratio of players over 32 that get hurt are far, far greater than those under 32. While some players see spikes from previous years, others see downturns. Expecting every Tiger to have spikes is not being real. There are going to be some down years. I highly doubt Kinsler repeats last year's spike, as an example.

No...maybe 15. There are some teams that don't have delusions.

Detroit has the worst defense, worst baserunning and one of the worst bullpens. They did absolutely nothing to improve in those areas. 7 key contributors are past the age of 32, 5 of which are critical and cannot miss time due to injuries. The ratio of players over 32 that get hurt are far, far greater than those under 32. While some players see spikes from previous years, others see downturns. Expecting every Tiger to have spikes is not being real. There are going to be some down years. I highly doubt Kinsler repeats last year's spike, as an example.

Agree somewhat, but for the players that have a regression, we also have guys that would likely go up from a down year like Iggy, catcher position, Upton. Or maybe a breakout player like Collins or Jones. Regardless, pitching was our bigger problem last year and I fully expect our starting staff to be better and the BP has nowhere to go but up.

It's not like this was a 100 loss team last year.

Agree somewhat, but for the players that have a regression, we also have guys that would likely go up from a down year like Iggy, catcher position, Upton. Or maybe a breakout player like Collins or Jones. Regardless, pitching was our bigger problem last year and I fully expect our starting staff to be better and the BP has nowhere to go but up.

It's not like this was a 100 loss team last year.

9 of the 15 AL teams had 84 or more wins. Arguably, they all can say they weren't a 100 loss team. Teams like NYY went young and they have more of a chance to improve. Of course, they could just as well go backwards.

Arguably, the 6 top teams in the AL is BOS, CLE, TOR, TEX, SEA and HOU. Look at any preseason rankings and you will find them. Yes, I know, you have to play the games and stuff happens where 1,2 or 3 of these teams don't make it. But this is same can be said for DET. Those teams still made moves in the offseasons. They also had players that under performed (i.e. Keuchel).

Bottom line, we have quite a few question marks. Is Castellanos finally broken out? What kind of production are we going to get from CF, C, SS and 3B? Will Fulmer, Norris and Boyd continue to be in the rotational mix? Will Zimmermann and/or Sanchez rebound? When I say a lot has to go right. These are what I an stipulating. For all we know, Iggy could be healthy all year and hit .300. That alone would be a huge step to making the playoffs.

I think this team will be like last year's. They will score runs but the pitching and defense will be what holds them back.

It's almost opening day.. We have just as much chance as anyone to be playoff bound. When I look at the AL as a whole, what teams are powerhouses? What teams are a cinch to make the playoffs?

To be honest It's not all that difficult in the AL to be contenders..

I think this team will be like last year's. They will score runs but the pitching and defense will be what holds them back.

This team could turn out like the veteran 1968 team. All though they did not have the young guns in rotation.
Verlander, Zimmerman, and Sanchez. Should they all pitch up to there norms would be very good. As of late all pitched better. And the kids could fill out rotation.

But yea this team has somewhat the feel of the 68 team. At least on the position side.

It's almost opening day.. We have just as much chance as anyone to be playoff bound. When I look at the AL as a whole, what teams are powerhouses? What teams are a cinch to make the playoffs?

To be honest It's not all that difficult in the AL to be contenders..

There aren't any powerhouses but I don't think they have as good of a chance as anyone. I think the Indians are clearly better than the Tigers so IMO they are likely fighting for a wildcard spot

There aren't any powerhouses but I don't think they have as good of a chance as anyone. I think the Indians are clearly better than the Tigers so IMO they are likely fighting for a wildcard spot

My quote from previous post "We have just as much chance as anyone to be playoff bound." Fighting for a wildcard equals contenders.. I never mentioned division title.

Like I said they can compete for a playoff spot as much as anyone else in the AL. I don't see 5 guarantee's in the AL. That's all anyone can ask for.

Last edited:
This team could turn out like the veteran 1968 team. All though they did not have the young guns in rotation.
Verlander, Zimmerman, and Sanchez. Should they all pitch up to there norms would be very good. As of late all pitched better. And the kids could fill out rotation.

But yea this team has somewhat the feel of the 68 team. At least on the position side.

There was definitely an expectation for the 68 team to win the pennant. If there is a comparison to a former Tigers' team, (to the position side) I'd select the 1972 version. JMHO.

from ESPN power rankings article

14. Detroit Tigers

2017 projected record: 81-81 (second in AL Central)
World Series odds: 30-1

1. Best case: June projects as the Tigers' best month (.525 winning percentage). If they finish the month below .500 after late-June series against the Padres and Royals, they are likely to stay there. But the Tigers' aging core could be durable enough for one more run as a group. The offense has the potential to rank among the AL's best, but the starting rotation must perform well enough to justify midseason acquisitions. otherwise there is no reason to foresee a second-half boost.

2. Worst case: Series against the Indians, Blue Jays, Giants and Astros make July Motown's toughest month. If Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez can't stay on the field and the team is struggling at the end of July ahead of the trade deadline, the imminent sell-off could commence.

3. Swing factors: The Tigers have an easy last couple of weeks of the season, but they'll have to survive nine games against the Indians and Blue Jays in early September for it to matter. The Tigers entered the offseason in sell mode with an aging roster but were unable to find takers for impending free agent J.D. Martinez. Will trade rumors put a drag on the clubhouse? Besides Martinez, others on the block could include Victor Martinez, Ian Kinsler, Francisco Rodriguez and maybe even Justin Verlander. If Detroit can ignore the trade rumors and capitalize on weak AL Central competition, this final stretch of the season could be important.

My quote from previous post "We have just as much chance as anyone to be playoff bound." Fighting for a wildcard equals contenders.. I never mentioned division title.

Like I said they can compete for a playoff spot as much as anyone else in the AL. I don't see 5 guarantee's in the AL. That's all anyone can ask for.

To me, the one game play in game is not making the playoffs. It is a fucking joke. It was like when NHL had 16 teams making the playoffs. Big deal.

Nobody guarantees anything. I certainly like the odds of BOS and CLE. Both are deep at starting pitching and have enough offense/defense to compete. There rosters are not laden with aging vets. CLE made it last year without Brantley almost all year and lost Carrasco and Salazar late.

2016 Pythagorean W-L

BOS 98-64 .605
CLE 91-70 .565
TOR 91-71 .562
SEA 87-75 .537

BAL 84-78 .519
DET 83-78 .516
HOU 83-79 .512
TEX 82-80 .506

LAA 80-82 .494
NYY 79-83 .488
CHW 78-84 .481
KCR 77-85 .475
TBR 77-85 .475

OAK 70-92 .432
MIN 66-96 .407

It will be a miracle for OAK and/or MIN to finish above .500. Just like it would take a lot for BOS and/or CLE not to finish above .500. Maybe even throw in TOR. The rest is plus or minus 5 wins from above, without looking at acquisitions. We know DET didn't do crap in the offseason. They just got older. Hoping for better health is not a forecastable item.

Back