Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of how Atheists are so awesome!

zyxt9

http://listverse.com/2010/06/05/10-people-who-give-atheism-a-bad-name/

Thankfully atheists are always so perfect and respectable! They only ever provide perfect examples of how one should live life!!!

Yes, Champ, Thumb, and the rest of the Atheists who are CONSTANTLY bashing religion could never look at anything Atheists ever did/do wrong because such a travesty could never happen due to the perfection of atheism.

In other words, your daily anti-religious bashing schtick is old, tiresome, and frought with an agenda that is in no small way so continual that you make the Fox anchors you so despise appear to not have an agenda.

Atheism has been around a very long time, some atheists are good people, some are not...funny, that is exactly the same thing as religion and religious people! Go figure! I thought ONLY religious people were bad based on your constant threads!!! A little research proves atheists are no better nor worse than religious people at behaving with positive or negative desires. It is called being human, but to atheists only religious people have negatives based on the way certain atheists on this board behave.

You are atheists, we get it...whether we are religious or atheistic, we get that you guys are atheists. Time for everyone to move on with their lives which will in no way be influenced by the babbling of people online.

hahaha, that list is idiotic.

"Adolf Hitler is left off this list because it is widely acknowledged that, while he abhorred organized religion, there is much evidence that he engaged in “nazi mysticism” or occultism."

The same thing could be said about everyone else on the list, to the extent a "cult of personality" is a religion. and it's just flat-out wrong about Kinsey.

Pathetic.

This is your idea of making a point? I could make a list 1000 names long of people worse than those on your list, but that would be stupid. All you did was link to a list of people who were/are Atheist, not that what they did had anything to do with them being Atheists. I don't attack people for being religious, I'm fine with religion, as long as it's not forced on me or others. Of course as a christian, that goes against your ideals that you must "save our souls".

Sorry you got butthurt.

Everyone is born an athiest, until they are brainwashed into the anti human concept of religion, a disgusting parasite that still continues to eat away at humanity and set them back.

Last edited:
also all 10 of those people are dead so your use of "today's example..." is misleading.

I guess "Historical examples of how atheists are so awesome" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Pathetic.

This is your idea of making a point? I could make a list 1000 names long of people worse than those on your list, but that would be stupid. All you did was link to a list of people who were/are Atheist, not that what they did had anything to do with them being Atheists. I don't attack people for being religious, I'm fine with religion, as long as it's not forced on me or others. Of course as a christian, that goes against your ideals that you must "save our souls".

Sorry you got butthurt.
he's not christian, he converted to judaism.

hahaha, that list is idiotic.

"Adolf Hitler is left off this list because it is widely acknowledged that, while he abhorred organized religion, there is much evidence that he engaged in ?nazi mysticism? or occultism."

The same thing could be said about everyone else on the list, to the extent a "cult of personality" is a religion. and it's just flat-out wrong about Kinsey.

Funny, I would define you as a cult of personality in your own mind.

he's not christian, he converted to judaism.

My mistake then.

Either way, he seems deeply disturbed by the idea that someone does not believe his fairy tale, or would suggest others should not either.

Rigght...my bad, there isn't a single atheist who is a negative to society today...got it...you are all incapable of grasping my point because you are so brainwashed and indoctrinated into the Atheist cause.

Rigght...my bad, there isn't a single atheist who is a negative to society today...got it...you are all incapable of grasping my point because you are so brainwashed and indoctrinated into the Atheist cause.

Nobody said that. Your point was pointless, you did not make an example like Champ did where religion (or Atheism, in your case) was used to persecute another.

Do that and you might have a point to make. Are there bad people who don't believe in god? Definitely. Are there bad people who do? Definitely. Your point/non-point, is now moot.

You are confused; I was not attacking Christianity because a Christian happened to do something negative... but because they were attacking a schoolkid and violating the Constitution in the name of their religion. And this is particularly relevant on the politics board because these creeps vote in elections that determine who governs my country.

If you want to find examples of atheists persecuting christians in the name of atheism... well, there aren't too many examples in history compared to thousands of years of christian abuse of others. off the top of my head: The French Revolution, the Soviet Union suppressing religion - esp. under Stalin (though they promoted it during WWII as well), and the Spanish Civil War. Also modern China & pre-modern Japan attacked Christian missionaries, but since those missionaries were often the front line of foreign encroachment on their land and authority, it was more a nationalistic fight than a religious one.

But that is the point.

There are good and bad Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, atheists, agnostics, etc, so can we not point out the bad thing that is done without the constant need to point the finger at religion???

There are obvious subtexts to the actions done by religious types of how that wasn't very religious of the person, but being atheist does not absolve one from having a similar subtext of just not being a person of decency or humanity, right? We don't point the finger and blame humaniity for the actions of atheists, right??? Bad people are just that, bad people. They got neurons crossed that made them somehow justify their actions, whether because they believed some deity told them to do it or they just were plain mental.

People of all backgrounds were slave owners in the south, and many decendents held onto similar thoughts for generations. To me, the Jews who were slave owners while celebrating Passover were the most wrong-headed of all those groups.

Good and bad are everywhere and all types.

It was news and a subject that was fitting of the politics forum.

You are confused; I was not attacking Christianity because a Christian happened to do something negative... but because they were attacking a schoolkid and violating the Constitution in the name of their religion. And this is particularly relevant on the politics board because these creeps vote in elections that determine who governs my country.

If you want to find examples of atheists persecuting christians in the name of atheism... well, there aren't too many examples in history compared to thousands of years of christian abuse of others.

How about persecuting a Governor for tweeting a bible verse? Yeah I know, just another right-wing conspiracy, right. Activists come in all forms.

How about persecuting a Governor for tweeting a bible verse? Yeah I know, just another right-wing conspiracy, right. Activists come in all forms.

please enlighten us as to what you're talking about. We don't sit on Fox News 24/7 like you, so we may have missed what you're talking about.

Also define "persecute."

please enlighten us as to what you're talking about. We don't sit on Fox News 24/7 like you, so we may have missed what you're talking about.

Also define "persecute."

You want to argue semantics? No frickin' way!?!

per?se?cute [pur-si-kyoot]

verb (used with object), per?se?cut?ed, per?se?cut?ing.
1. to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, especially because of religion, race, or beliefs; harass persistently.

2. to annoy or trouble persistently.

Right out of dictionary.com. If you look at that second definition, I would go as far as to say you persecute me all the time.

Also, based on how much you both mention Fox News and already know nearly everything they say 24/7, I suspect you watch that station more than I do.

Governor was Scott Walker, although in my opinion, that is irrelevant. He posted on some "social" media site, just this: "Philippians 4:13" An atheist group got their panties all in a bunch and wanted him to take it down. I do not profess to have any more facts than that, just thought it was funny how it fit the subject matter of your postings in this thread.

Even if this turns out to be a total fabrication, I would have given almost anything to be in the room when you read it. :*)

well, I asked not because I wanted to argue semantics, but because i was curious if your definition of persecute was the same as mine. If that's "arguing semantics" ... well sometimes you have to argue semantics, like when someone takes some liberties with the meaning of a word, as you did here.

Otherwise you're saying to me that an adult in a position of authority, mocking a kid for his religious views in front of his peers (which was the incident in my thread) is the same as a public figure getting asked to take down a tweet.

nice use of quotes there on "social" media... you really do have to feel for Scott Walker here. He was just innocently mentioning a sincerely held religious belief on a public forum where people are known for being nice and social to eachother, and got all that mean harassment back... have these atheists no sense of shame?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I asked not because I wanted to argue semantics, but because i was curious if your definition of persecute was the same as mine. If that's "arguing semantics" ... well sometimes you have to argue semantics, like when someone takes some liberties with the meaning of a word, as you did here.

Otherwise you're saying to me that an adult in a position of authority, mocking a kid for his religious views in front of his peers (which was the incident in my thread) is the same as a public figure getting asked to take down a tweet.

nice use of quotes there on "social" media... you really do have to feel for Scott Walker here. He was just innocently mentioning a sincerely held religious belief on a public forum where people are known for being nice and social to eachother, and got all that mean harassment back... have these atheists no sense of shame?

ok Kemosabe

Here is the quote I read again so that there is no mistake what I was responding to.

If you want to find examples of atheists persecuting christians in the name of atheism... well, there aren't too many examples in history compared to thousands of years of christian abuse of others.

I told you what facts I had. I hope you go find that it was a complete fabrication and was not persecution in any way. I would still laugh.

BTW I had no idea what this was in reference to:

... but because they were attacking a schoolkid and violating the Constitution in the name of their religion. And this is particularly relevant on the politics board because these creeps vote in elections that determine who governs my country.

I read nothing of this attack on a schoolchild in this thread other than your post - it must have been some previous argument you were referring to. As such, since I didn't know anything about it, and since it seemed to come completely out of the blue in THIS thread, I wasn't responding to it.

Now on to your more recent ignorance.

I took liberties with the meaning of a word? Interesting! What pray tell did you mean by it? If you meant some sort of violence against a group due to their religion, are you really going to equate your example of that schoolchild, to the Inquisition? If it must have the added component, "in the name of my atheistic belief system", I still don't see you using the word consistently. Your meaning is flopping all around, so if I took any liberties, it is much less than you did.

The quotes were because I heard Facebook, and also heard Twitter, maybe it was both - I have no idea, and don't care, they seemed warranted as I couldn't tell you exactly where it was posted, just that it wasn't a declaration in any official capacity.

Atheists can be bad people. None of us would argue that. Stalin, mao, kim jong il, etc. used religion like a cage to keep their people under control. They didn't do what they did to destroy religion. They did it for power.

No country should force their people to obey religious law and should never abolish religion. Should always be 100% separation of church and state. We don't have that and its not okay with me.

Humans are good or bad. When you take away promises of heaven and threats of damnation, you finally see people's true character.

Back