Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Meetings Dec. 4-8

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
A day away, I suspect if the Tigers' are in trade mode this is where some of it will happening. Probably JD at first..

Here's hoping we get better..

I think the 40 man roster is at 39 right now. So when the Tigers make there block buster trade 3 for one, that will put them at 41 so who is the odd man out to be picked up on waivers. Yea when you think about it they could lose a player in any of these deals they want to make. The cat out of the bag about the money. This the mess you get into when you put too much money in too few players. And really trading J.D. is not going to solve there big money problems. I really can not see how any body could not see this train wreck coming!

I think the 40 man roster is at 39 right now. So when the Tigers make there block buster trade 3 for one, that will put them at 41 so who is the odd man out to be picked up on waivers. Yea when you think about it they could lose a player in any of these deals they want to make. The cat out of the bag about the money. This the mess you get into when you put too much money in too few players. And really trading J.D. is not going to solve there big money problems. I really can not see how any body could not see this train wreck coming!

The thing about that is I would give up several players on the 40 right now. Imo, it's more than just 1 spot available.

Right now, at the official website, only 38 are on the 40-man. So trading J.D. for 3-players requiring to be on the 40-man roster would require no additional moves.

40-man Roster Fodder (for the record)

Chad Bell, LHP, 28-yr old starter. He makes sense as a LOOGY only

Warwick Saupold, RHP, 27-yr old reliever, 2016 was a "fluke"

Myles Jaye, RHP, 25-yr old starter. Now or never.

Sandy Baez, RHP, 23-yr old starter. Not pitched above Single A

Victor Alcantara, RHP, 23-yr old starter. Horrible stats, Not pitched above Single A

Jairo Labourt, LHP, 23-yr old starter/reliever, repeated Single A in 2016. LOOGY?

There is 6 players right there who are log shots to ever make it in the MLB. And I mean long shots. Every year there is fodder on every team's 40-man roster.

How many remember Shane Loux?

What about Steve Pegues?

Do you know how many 40-man roster changes the Tigers made in 2016? Designating someone like Warwick Saupold might get bites in the offseason, but not during the season.

The issue with DET's 40-man roster(s), compared to other teams is that the 15 players not expected to make the 25-man roster out of Spring Training are not expected to become viable MLB regulars. Most teams have about half their 15 players as "future" MLB regulars.

Of note, John Hicks is on the roster as a catcher. He is a little over 9 months older than James McCann. Hicks is highly regarded as a defensive catcher. His hitting in the minors has been far superior to what McCann did in the minors. Yet, most scouting reports has Hicks as a career backup. DET is said to be looking for a backup for McCann (39th Roster spot?). Aside from the obvious, what would be wrong with having Hicks as the backup?

Dodgers resign Hill, that should do it with the Verlander to LA rumors.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dodgers resign Hill, that should do it with the Verlander to LA rumors.

Paying a 37-yr old starter with historical health issues $16 Mil a year for the next 3 is ludicrous.

Melancon gets 62m

Chapman asking for 6 years

Kenley in talks with Miami...supposed 80m...

With these asking prices it's possible we get a decent prospect or 2 for K-Rod should they decide to trade him. I know it's only 1 year but still, he's a LOT cheaper then these guys and say Wade Davis should KC trade him.

Paying a 37-yr old starter with historical health issues $16 Mil a year for the next 3 is ludicrous.
It's like they have learned nothing from the Kazmir and McCarthy deals

I know he's old and injury prone.... but the dude was going to get paid by some team whether it was LA or somewhere else.... the dude is a monster when healthy
W 12 L 5 ERA 2.12 K 129 BB 33

I just can't wait until the season starts.. I might even get MLB.tv this year so I can watch the Tigers.

I know he's old and injury prone.... but the dude was going to get paid by some team whether it was LA or somewhere else.... the dude is a monster when healthy
W 12 L 5 ERA 2.12 K 129 BB 33

He has only started more than 20 games just once in his career. Last year, his "fluke" of a season, he started just 20. He has started 15 or more games just 3 times. In the last 3 years, he has started but 24 games.

Are you willing to pay $16 Mil to a starter who is questionable to make 20 starts?

I get he had a stellar 2016. What happened to the contract that had incentives and/or option years? He gets $48 Mil guaranteed for the next 3 years. I realize probably someone was going to "overpay". It is happening a lot in MLB. But it doesn't make it right and sane.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rich-hill-is-just-a-different-kind-of-risk/

Brad's being interviewed by MLB. Facebook posts are "interesting"

"McCann is one of the best defensive catchers in the game! Don't get rid of him"

"Trade the whole team and rebuild wee will regret it if we dont do it now."

"This team is old. Need to start trading them away."

"He doesn't know when to pull a picture or put a different picture in" (actually accurate)

"Brad is a good coach"

"Keep Miguel Cabrera and take on the Edwin guy from the Toronto Blue Jays and possibly Jose Bautista maybe"

"Brad you are a great coach!"

"They traded their best player Cameron Maybin...Shows you how smart Ausmus & Avila are"

"Brads not a coach. He's a manager."

"Love how you Lazy Boy managers think you know more than Brad. Until you've done it, don't criticize"

"Bring Austin Jackson back!"

"Leave Brad alone (he's a human being!) he can only do the best with what they give him I will take him any time over Leyland"

"Should have never traded Scherzer! !!"

"Trading Sherzer was $ related."

Dombrowski strkes again. And they get Sale for $13 a year for the next 3 season. Porcello, Price, and Sale in one rotation.

How the fuck is Sale only getting 13 million per year the next 3 years??? He's only 27, left-handed and has been a dominant ace for years. How is he not making 25 million+ per year?

How the fuck is Sale only getting 13 million per year the next 3 years??? He's only 27, left-handed and has been a dominant ace for years. How is he not making 25 million+ per year?

Because he's not a dick.

He signed an extension in March 2013 just short of turning 24 and just after completing 3 complete seasons. His first two seasons he was strictly used as a reliever (novel concept). He was arbitration eligible and CHW bought out his remaining arbitration years.

2017 = $12.0 Mil

2018 = $12.5 Mil (club option, $1 Mil buyout)

2019 = $13.5 Mil (club option, $1 Mil buyout)

Talk about value. This is why BOS could send what they did in the trade. It isn't just about the player himself, but about the minimal amount of salary for ace production.

Back