Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford tore ligaments in finger

Brewer, that's pretty harsh man. I dislocated a finger couple weeks ago and it was basically rendered useless up until a few days ago. Any contact to it still hurts like a mo fo.

I read that it was the top knuckle of his middle finger which was dislocated. That is prob the "best case " scenario all things considered. Basically the top part of his finger just hangs at a 90 deg. Angle. Taping it up and using a custom glove should help a lot. Its still a dislocation on his throwing hand, and will most likely require off season surgery, but I def. think Stafford can be productive / manage the rest of the season.

Brewer, that's pretty harsh man. I dislocated a finger couple weeks ago and it was basically rendered useless up until a few days ago. Any contact to it still hurts like a mo fo.

I know it hurts, I dislocated my pinkie years ago playing dodge ball out of all things. However, you either can play or you can't. If you're healthy enough to play, then go out there and play.

Hopefully a week of practice with the glove will help him get use to it and there will be no issues. Sounded like the glove more than the finger was the problem.

I think there's some gray area there. I finally was able to play my basketball regular season finale in my rec league and for the most part, I could do nothing. Any sharp passes I had to brace for, couldn't go up for rebounds, etc...

He'll play, but I think it's fair to say there's going to be a drop off in accuracy and power in his throws.

Derek Carr is wearing a glove right now...albeit a different finger injury. He had time to prepare and hasn't looked like the same guy.

As a Lions fan who has seen so much shit over the years I just can't help but worry that our season just ended.

I guess we'll see what happens next week and go from there. Also I think we've confirmed just what a tough son of a bitch Matthew is.

It has definitely not ended. The pain will definitely come down in the next couple weeks. By the playoffs, he should be close to 100.

It has definitely not ended. The pain will definitely come down in the next couple weeks. By the playoffs, he should be close to 100.

but still no use of that part of the finger if its just hanging there.

Also, he doesnt like using a glove and he'll be forced too the rest of the season.

2 little things...but both could add up to accuracy issues like we saw vs the bears. As weve seen throughout this year, our offense needs to be perfect in order to score points.....its a little scary in my opinion.

but still no use of that part of the finger if its just hanging there.

Also, he doesnt like using a glove and he'll be forced too the rest of the season.

2 little things...but both could add up to accuracy issues like we saw vs the bears. As weve seen throughout this year, our offense needs to be perfect in order to score points.....its a little scary in my opinion.
I'd say it's a lot scary. If Stafford isn't at 85% + it's going to be a LONG last three games. This isn't just a pain management injury.....this will effect every throw he makes, from all angles, until the 2017 season.

Let's just hope it's something he can learn to play effectively with. Until then, we'll see more screens and a bit more running the ball. I like what we saw in the 2nd half yesterday. Washington looked good.

Right now, I think Dallas is more beatable than the Giants. Rough game for Stafford against the Giants imo, and a solid game for him against the Boys. Green bay will destroy the Lions, so hopefully the Vikings or Bears beat them, and we take care of business in Dallas

Last edited:
I say bench Stafford the next two games - the Lions were probably going to lose both were Stafford to have been able to play at 100% anyway.

Let that injury heal as much as possible before the finale against the Packers.

Righteous now, I think Dallas is more beatable than the Giants. Rough game for Stafford against the Giants imo, and a solid game for him against the Boys. Green bay will destroy the Lions, so hopefully the Vikings or Bears beat them, and we take care of business in Dallas

I don't think GB will destroy the Lions.....no matter what their records at the time are. We play GB tough at home....we have the last 4-5 years. We'll have a probable playoff berth on the line and a possible first round bye.

Lots of football left. Minnesota could help us out, too.

I say bench Stafford the next two games - the Lions were probably going to lose both were Stafford to have been able to play at 100% anyway.

Let that injury heal as much as possible before the finale against the Packers.

I'm not against that. But Rudock, please no end zone Dan. I won't watch this team with Orlovsky under center.

I don't think GB will destroy the Lions.....no matter what their records at the time are. We play GB tough at home....we have the last 4-5 years. We'll have a probable playoff berth on the line and a possible first round bye.

Lots of football left. Minnesota could help us out, too.

They're a different team right now. Aaron Rodgers throws 4 TDs in the first half against us this time, he'll keep going, not take his foot off the gas. GB is in kill mode right now

Well, I can't argue opinion.....I just don't see it. Seattle played like a Pop Warner team last night....I'm not going to pay much attention to that game.

Everyone and their brother thought N.O. would ass rape us too......guess we'll see in 3 weeks.

I don't know about that. They slept to a victory over an average Houston team, and Seattle blows on the road. Wilson had one of his worst games I've ever seen.

GB still isn't all that good. They are weak everywhere.

I agree with sitting Stafford, but just for this week against the Giants. Outdoors in the cold is not going to help with his finger situation. Giants defense looked great last night also.

I agree 100% wholeheartedly seconded thirded and fourthed with everyone please for the love of GOD if Matt can't play start Rudock. That safety haunts my dreams.

I look at our game yesterday and see some positives. We won a division game where we played poorly and had 3 plays in that game that haven't happened all year (or very rarely).

1. Tipped red zone INT. Not a great throw but a terrible bounce leads to taking 3 points off the board.

2. Pick 6. Bad throw......worse decision. Stafford hasn't done that in 25 games. Gave the Bears 7 points.

3. Slay peaks in and gets burned. He'll remember that. I don't see anyone left on the schedule.....besides OBJ.....who will do that again.

All that and we dropped 3 picks and still won the game. It's not excuse making.....but sometimes teams play badly and still get a W.

I don't think GB is that great, either. Minnesota could definitely hand them a L. Lions need to find a way to win next week against a Giants team that has trouble scoring points and will be without JPP.

Any given Sunday.

I say sit him in New York and get him ready for the two indoors games at the end of the season. Heck Eli may give us short fields with some of the reads and throws he is making. Who knows maybe our defense scores a few points next week .

Last edited:
Back