Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Refs in CBB

Just too many fouls both ways . The kids only get to play a real game 30% of the time. a lot of these games never really get going. I didnt see tonights game but just a general observation.

I didn't see the game either and my comments were about officiating in CBB in general as well. Whether or not the refs tip the balance one way or the other isn't the issue in my mind - I'm sure it happens but it's not the big problem. The big problem is refs ruin games. The last MSU/dook tournament game is a perfect example. It had not impact on the outcome - we were going to lose that game no matter what but it had calls at a rate of more than a foul a minute. It was so inconsistent and awful, it made the game unwatchable.

Last edited:
I fairness to the refs, this is how they've been instructed to call games. It was a point of emphasis 2-3 years back to clean up the physical play (and the game must starting to become unwatchable at times) and it worked for awhile in non-conference games and then the game reverted back to being really physical once conference play got going. I think last year the powers that be were on the official pretty hard to call things tightly, and even based post-season assignment and all that on who complied with that. Though I agree there are too many games now where things have gone too far in the other direction.

It's not just the number of calls, which as we've both said, is out of control, but also the sheer number of horrible calls as well as the inconsistency of the way games are called both in the same game and from game to game.

If the games are going to be called the way they are, the NCAA really needs to look into moving from 5 to 6 fouls per player. Also move to quarters...seeing a team in the bonus with 15 minutes to go is cringe worthy!!

Back