Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey Byco

Michchamp

are there rules for what Catholic priests can and can't bless?

Like if someone who lived in Colorado or Washington, where recreational weed use is legal, put a fat joint on top of their easter basket and brought it to Easter mass... would the priest still bless it? is it a personal choice or are there rules for that sort of thing?

You should know this. Even though you discount it. And, to answer your question: the purpose of blessing non-sacramentals is to expunge all possible effects of evil from it. So, I imagine the priest, in this instance, would apply his own discretion in any circumstance.

Would the blessing still count if the priest was one of the many that rape little boys and then are hidden within the Catholic church because its a "church issue"?

Would the blessing still count if the priest was one of the many that rape little boys and then are hidden within the Catholic church because its a "church issue"?

In fact, it would, if said priest was no longer in a state of mortal sin and if he was even still alive at this point. 70% of those some-4,000 accused in the Jay Report were ordained before 1970.

My lovely, ordained Episcopal minister Mother has had people request Blessings over the years and she has in some cases definitely used discretion not to go through with it. I think in one case, somebody in the congregation wanted a car blessed and she declined. I would think in the case of a MJ joint, she'd politely decline as well...

Though there are probably plenty of internet-ordained 'ministers' who would do it.

In fact, it would, if said priest was no longer in a state of mortal sin and if he was even still alive at this point. 70% of those some-4,000 accused in the Jay Report were ordained before 1970.

Sounds like you are saying it doesn't happen that much anymore. A quick Google search shows 3400 reported cases between 2004 up through just 3 years ago. No telling how many unreported cases there were.

My lovely, ordained Episcopal minister Mother has had people request Blessings over the years and she has in some cases definitely used discretion not to go through with it. I think in one case, somebody in the congregation wanted a car blessed and she declined. I would think in the case of a MJ joint, she'd politely decline as well...

Though there are probably plenty of internet-ordained 'ministers' who would do it.

Why would she decline to bless a car?

Sounds like you are saying it doesn't happen that much anymore. A quick Google search shows 3400 reported cases between 2004 up through just 3 years ago. No telling how many unreported cases there were.

Is that in the U.S.?

are there rules for what Catholic priests can and can't bless?

Like if someone who lived in Colorado or Washington, where recreational weed use is legal, put a fat joint on top of their easter basket and brought it to Easter mass... would the priest still bless it? is it a personal choice or are there rules for that sort of thing?

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to offer my opinion anyway.

If people had been smoking legal week in Colorado or Washington back during the time of the sales of indulgences, which was especially prevalent around the time of Martin Luther and Henry VIII and the rise Protestantism, a person could have probably been able to pay a priest to bless a joint, and also could have paid for absolution for getting high in the first place, were getting high to have been considered to be a sin back at that time.

I don't know how much of a difference that would have made regarding the joint or the person or people smoking it.

Why would she decline to bless a car?

I can't say with certainty if it was a car, but it was something where the 'spirit' of the request didn't seem genuine. And now that I'm typing, I do recall a congregation member who asked to have his hunting rifle blessed ..perhaps that's what I am mis-remembering as a car..?

Point being, the minister/priest does have discretion on Blessings. I know too that she has passed on requests to perform weddings because she wasn't comfortable with the couple's commitment ...in the eyes of God/the Church.

Last edited:
What if an ISIS came into a church and asked a priest to bless one of them lopping off of the head swords they use in their executions?

Or would the ISIS burst into flames when he came into the church, or melt like the Wicked Witch of the West did when Dorothy threw that water on her?

I can't say with certainty if it was a car, but it was something where the 'spirit' of the request didn't seem genuine. And now that I'm typing, I do recall a congregation member who asked to have his hunting rifle blessed ..perhaps that's what I am mis-remembering as a car..?

Point being, the minister/priest does have discretion on Blessings. I know too that she has passed on requests to perform weddings because she wasn't comfortable with the couple's commitment ...in the eyes of God/the Church.

She'd have definitely passed up this opportunity

Does it matter where its at?!?! Its kids being molested by Catholic priests. I wasn't aware there was American Catholicism.

Its kids being molested. Has nothing to do with them being Catholic priests. Pretty quick to paint Catholics as molesters and protectors of molesters with a pretty broad brush. So 1 billion people are protecting the molesters? If I saw one of them, I would do the same thing to them you would, so screw your holier than thou attitude.

Doesn't have anything to do with Catholicism.

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to offer my opinion anyway.

If people had been smoking legal week in Colorado or Washington back during the time of the sales of indulgences, which was especially prevalent around the time of Martin Luther and Henry VIII and the rise Protestantism, a person could have probably been able to pay a priest to bless a joint, and also could have paid for absolution for getting high in the first place, were getting high to have been considered to be a sin back at that time.

I don't know how much of a difference that would have made regarding the joint or the person or people smoking it.

I don't think there were any laws or stigma against smoking marijuana anywhere on Earth, until the 20th century US, so I guess Catholic priests in the Rennaissance/Reformation era Europe probably would've had no issue blessing it. And if you paid them to bless it or for an indulgence... they DEFINITELY would not have had an issue blessing it.

must've been rough being a stoner in those times. No way to play chill music (unless you could hire and pay actual musicians to play for you) and no good junk food if you got the munchies. You also couldn't just walk over to a 7/11 to pick something up. better hope the local market was open; then you could pick up a loaf of bread and some toasted acorns or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there were any laws or stigma against smoking marijuana anywhere on Earth, until the 20th century US, so I guess Catholic priests in the Rennaissance/Reformation era Europe probably would've had no issue blessing it. And if you paid them to bless it or for an indulgence... they DEFINITELY would not have had an issue blessing it.

The Catholic Church never sold indulgences and never sold blessings.

The Catholic Church never sold indulgences and never sold blessings.

Whoa there, Ignatius! never sold indulgences? I think Martin Luther and all of 16th century Germany might have a quibble with whatever technicality you're using to make that claim.

Back