Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Training games

lonesometiger

One pattern has found its home. The offence of stars and what left has arrive! In 9 games this out fit manage to score 37 total runs = 4.1 per game. Trouble is Tigers scored 21 of them in two games, 5 in there other win. In there 6 losses 11 runs! I know it's ST so I'm not going to hammer on the pitching, but some need to prove a thing or two to get on the staff. With that said the offence does not need to work on there change up, curve, ect,ect. This awful offence is not showing any improvement over last season. Well they could just be taking in the sun down there, sand bagging for the season ? But really giving up 55 runs to 37 for a 200 m team seems a little too much.

One pattern has found its home. The offence of stars and what left has arrive! In 9 games this out fit manage to score 37 total runs = 4.1 per game. Trouble is Tigers scored 21 of them in two games, 5 in there other win. In there 6 losses 11 runs! I know it's ST so I'm not going to hammer on the pitching, but some need to prove a thing or two to get on the staff. With that said the offence does not need to work on there change up, curve, ect,ect. This awful offence is not showing any improvement over last season. Well they could just be taking in the sun down there, sand bagging for the season ? But really giving up 55 runs to 37 for a 200 m team seems a little too much.

It's ST. Seldom do they have the full lineup player.. for full game. It matters absolutely nothing.

Tigers name players are in the World Baseball Classic bud.

I know, point was more directed at lonesome who seems worried about the offense already, was pointing out their aren't many names in the line up for these ST games that will be there in the regular season so there is no point in worrying about the offense already.

If there is anything to worry about thus far i'd say Sanchez and Pelfry don't look any better still. I think they may just have to eat their salaries and go with some younger guys for the spots whom won't completely stank it up.

Last edited:
I know, point was more directed at lonesome who seems worried about the offense already, was pointing out their aren't many names in the line up for these ST games that will be there in the regular season so there is no point in worrying about the offense already.

If there is anything to worry about thus far i'd say Sanchez and Pelfry don't look any better still. I think they may just have to eat their salaries and go with some younger guys for the spots whom won't completely stank it up.

Pitchers normally are working on things early in ST. I am not going to base any decision this early in Spring. If by mid-March, they are still crapping up the joint, then we take notice. Absolutely nothing can be taken this early in camp, even James McCann hitting .500 BAVG and .700 SLG.

Pitchers normally are working on things early in ST. I am not going to base any decision this early in Spring. If by mid-March, they are still crapping up the joint, then we take notice. Absolutely nothing can be taken this early in camp, even James McCann hitting .500 BAVG and .700 SLG.

I noticed McCann was having a decent spring thus far at the plate, we can still hope maybe he's got something figured out now at least though right? lol..

Last edited:

Sanchez gave up a couple of bombs in todays loss to the yankees.

Didn't include Lowe the other day on purpose still holding out some hope for him, but....you can add Lowe to the most concerning list now as well.. he got bombed today

Didn't include Lowe the other day on purpose still holding out some hope for him, but....you can add Lowe to the most concerning list now as well.. he got bombed today

Heard it while driving this afternoon on XM radio.
Just found out 10 minutes ago reading the game story off the Detnews that huge piece of shit dirty cunt face Clay Bucholtz hit Miggy again.

Maybe it?s a good thing Clay Buchholz is pitching in the National League with the Phillies now. The former Red Sox right-hander hit Miguel Cabrera in the arm when they last faced each other last August. And Buchholz hit him again in the first inning Sunday, under the arm pit. Cabrera was seething as he went to first base.

I did say; I'm not going to hammer on the pitching, But really should the Tigers staff be some what compatable to other teams? I mean I got a trash can in the back yard that smell better than this pitching staff at this time! Imo today's starter just did not get it done.

All the pitching did not go to WBC. Maybe it should have.

Pitchers are either throwing to impress and win a spot, or they are working on developing things (secondary, tertiary pitches, pick off moves/holding runners, etc, etc). Management/coaches usually are knowledgeable as to what they might be working on. If the velocity is there, and it is a matter of them working on pitches, regardless the results, it isn't going to be used against them.

Conversely, hitters are also working on things. Hitting the other way. Trying to layoff pitches. Trying mechanical changes in their stance or swing. At the end of spring training, players are generally exactly who the are, especially 25 and older. James McCann is what he is. He isn't going to figure things out at 26. Mike Pelfrey isn't going to become a better pitcher by doing nothing all winter long.

Very few openings are available MLB wide. Few players are actually "auditioning" during Spring Training. Certainly, a pitcher who demonstrates a loss in velocity could jeopardize their roster spot, or a hitter that cannot even make contact. But at the end of the day, those with MLB contracts are who breaks camp, like it or not.

Last edited:
I did say; I'm not going to hammer on the pitching, But really should the Tigers staff be some what compatable to other teams? I mean I got a trash can in the back yard that smell better than this pitching staff at this time! Imo today's starter just did not get it done.

All the pitching did not go to WBC. Maybe it should have.

I know you have a hard time with this but ST means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just the way it works. I remember back in the day Detroit won like 24 games in ST or something like that. Finished horrible in the regular season. Means zippo.

2010 is a good example, 3rd best spring record. Finish .500. Just never know. Or worse yet the players who have good springs and shit the best come April.

And right on que, pelfrys turn today..yup..he got bombed

Sanchez, Lowe, Pelfrey...

Not good

Pelfrey Spring Trainings

2008 (13.0 IP) = 5.54 ERA 1.69 WHIP

2009 (21.6 IP) = 7.77 ERA 1.75 WHIP

2010 (26.3 IP) = 6.15 ERA 1.48 WHIP

2011 (18.3 IP) = 6.38 ERA 1.64 WHIP

2012 (26.0 IP) = 7.62 ERA 1.50 WHIP

2013 (18.3 IP) = 6.38 ERA 1.85 WHIP

2014 (17.6 IP) = 3.57 ERA 1.25 WHIP

2015 (5.0 IP) = 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP

2016 (15.3 IP) = 1.17 ERA 0.85 WHIP

2017 (3.6 IP) = 7.36 ERA 2.45 WHIP

So the real question. Even if Pelfrey put up a 1.17 ERA and 0.85 WHIP in Spring Training, would that mean he "earned" a starting spot?

Conversely, hitters are also working on things. Hitting the other way. Trying to layoff pitches. Trying mechanical changes in their stance or swing. At the end of spring training, players are generally exactly who the are, especially 25 and older. James McCann is what he is. He isn't going to figure things out at 26.

The Tigers have a guy on their roster that had a .057 boost in OBP and .211 boost in OPS after his year 25 season. It isn't likely that McCann "figures things out", but it's possible. Stranger things have happened.

Back