Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Ricky Wagner RT - Now released Lions get 6.1 M cap space

Wagner ranked 18th out of 78 tackles last year. Reiff was 48th out of 78

Wagner 9th ranked right tackle

Nice upgrade even at 9 per

I've yet to see another reported FA "in principle" deal announced. Wonder if Goodell decides to make an example out of Detroit as going too far in the "free tamper" time frame.

I've yet to see another reported FA "in principle" deal announced. Wonder if Goodell decides to make an example out of Detroit as going too far in the "free tamper" time frame.

Brandon Marshall

Brandon Marshall was released so he did not have to wait for the signing period.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but teams and free agents are able to talk and negotiate, but still have to wait to sign. Not sure how this would be a violation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but teams and free agents are able to talk and negotiate, but still have to wait to sign. Not sure how this would be a violation.

I thought they could talk before as well.. but I'm not sure they could negotiate?

You are right. Teams could talk to players starting yesterday. They can't sign until tomorrow.

I love this signing. Upgrade at RT will help whoever ends up at RG. Hopefully Zeitler.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/03/report_lions_land_top_free_age.html#incart_river_index
Lions land top free agent right tackle Ricky Wagner.
Mlive

Pro Football Focus ranked him as their 18th tackle overall last season and ninth-best at protecting the passer.
According to the publication, Wagner allowed three sacks and 32 overall pressures on 612 pass protection snaps.
Reiff, gave up four sacks and 44 pressures in 604 snaps.

Wagner played in 62 games in the last four seasons for the Ravens. He has 45 starts in the last three seasons.

At just 27-years-old, Wagner is coming off his second great campaign in three years after rebounding from a sophomore slump accelerated by Lisfranc surgery at the end of 2014.
He has elite right tackle potential and is just as nasty in the run game as he is in pass pro – something the Lions are severely lacking.

Ricky Wagner is considered an upgrade on the right side earning an overall grade of 84.5 versus Reiff’s 67.5 according to Pro-Football Focus.
Wagner’s specialty is pass blocking, ranking in the top ten in that category in 2016. Clearly the Lions are going all in on protecting franchise quarterback Matthew Stafford.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WagnRi00.htm
Ricky Wagner Stats page. 6'6" 308.
ProFootballReference

Last edited:
When Suh signed with Miami, pretty much every detail of the contract was released within minutes of the "OK to tamper" period beginning. Of course nothing was said from the league office on that.

Just figured it would be Detroit's luck to have the league decide they went too far, and dock some draft picks.

Last edited:
Love this pickup. Decker was a plus player at LT for a rookie and I think he can be a border line pro bowler going forward. With he and Wagner we have bookend tackles for the next several seasons.

Weird, bookend tackles for the long term, kind of like most successful NFL teams have, but this is the Lions, I'm scared now.

Quin knows what he is doing.

Back