Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Care to make a bet???

If LB's aren't as deep as other positions, as you say, wouldn't it make sense that they pick a LB while there's still a good one out there?

If there really is a good one deserving of draft position sure. A lot of times what happens with weaker position groups is guys get over drafted because teams still need that position. People look at it and go who's our best linebackers in this draft? Then they get vaulted up because of need not necessarily their talent level of deserving to be there. The same thing will probably happen to offensive tackle in this draft. I'd rather draft a player at a position who is a legit prospect. Linebacker has a bunch of tweeters this year. Not only that it's not a priority in the NFL anymore.

Also just because it's deep doesn't mean it's going to be the same level of talent later. It's like saying because this years runningback class is deep, skip on dalvin cook and fournette because you can get Kareem hunt later.

Last edited:
If there really is a good one deserving of draft position sure. A lot of times what happens with weaker position groups is guys get over drafted because teams still need that position. People look at it and go who's our best linebackers in this draft? Then they get vaulted up because of need not necessarily their talent level of deserving to be there. The same thing will probably happen to offensive tackle in this draft. I'd rather draft a player at a position who is a legit prospect. Linebacker has a bunch of tweeters this year. Not only that it's not a priority in the NFL anymore.

Also just because it's deep doesn't mean it's going to be the same level of talent later. It's like saying because this years runningback class is deep, skip on dalvin cook and fournette because you can get Kareem hunt later.

I get what you are saying. But if a 1st round graded LB, CB and DE are on the board, you take the LB because the need is greater and the position isn't as deep. You don't take a 2nd round LB in the first because of need.

In the following rounds, you would take the other positions if value is there.

I would bet they take and early round LB, a later round developmental LB, and they sign a LB after June 1 from cap cuts.

I would not bet on a 1st round LB, because why? Not to say there isn't a need. Not to say there isn't a talent there. But if you lock in and say "I am getting a LB in the first round", you're a generally bad drafter.

You look at the way the board is falling. You can take a DE, a WR, a CB, a S, a whatever in the first and possibly still come back in the second and get a guy that fits your team mold. You could get him in the 3rd potentially.

New England drafts players that fit their team, not necessarily the highest rated guy, Quinn learned from that system. I know I for one am hoping to see more of the Patriot influence on draft day.

Nah I like it. You didn't hear me cry about Wagner. I just haven't been impressed with a single defensive player Quinn has brought in outside of hyder.

I really don't know what you have against Worrilow. Sure, he's no superstar but he's a tackling machine. Might be a liability in pass coverage but he can stuff the run. Besides, we still have the draft to acquire defensive players.

I really don't know what you have against Worrilow. Sure, he's no superstar but he's a tackling machine. Might be a liability in pass coverage but he can stuff the run. Besides, we still have the draft to acquire defensive players.

If you research anything about him you'll realize he can tackle and that's about it. He isn't just semi bad in coverage. He is one of the worst there is. Atlanta fans like him actually but not as a player. He's Brandon inge equivalent in Atlanta.

Last edited:
If you research anything about him you'll realize he can tackle and that's about it. He isn't just semi bad in coverage. He is one of the worst there is. Atlanta fans like him actually but not as a player. He's Brandon inge equivalent in Atlanta.

I know lol. I don't think he was brought in to cover anyone.

I know lol. I don't think he was brought in to cover anyone.

If he's special teams quality I don't care. Honestly I just don't think people realize how bad our defense really was last year due to a semi weak schedule and some extremely whacky games. We need some talent there. I like killebrew, and A'Shawn showed some skills too. But we need a huge talent upgrade on defense particularly guarding the middle of the field with tight ends, slots and running backs. It is worst in the league bad and we haven't addressed it. So we're going to rely on rookies to fix that I guess next year...and in the meanwhile we still need some receiver and runningback depth.

Last edited:
If he's special teams quality I don't care. Honestly I just don't think people realize how bad our defense really was last year due to a semi weak schedule and some extremely whacky games. We need some talent there. I like killebrew, and A'Shawn showed some skills too. But we need a huge talent upgrade on defense particularly guarding the middle of the field with tight ends, slots and running backs. It is worst in the league bad and we haven't addressed it. So we're going to rely on rookies to fix that I guess next year...and in the meanwhile we still need some receiver and runningback depth.

You can't fix every problem through free agency. Lots of holes to fill. Now they can focus on the D.

I would bet they take and early round LB, a later round developmental LB, and they sign a LB after June 1 from cap cuts.

I would not bet on a 1st round LB, because why? Not to say there isn't a need. Not to say there isn't a talent there. But if you lock in and say "I am getting a LB in the first round", you're a generally bad drafter.

You look at the way the board is falling. You can take a DE, a WR, a CB, a S, a whatever in the first and possibly still come back in the second and get a guy that fits your team mold. You could get him in the 3rd potentially.

New England drafts players that fit their team, not necessarily the highest rated guy, Quinn learned from that system. I know I for one am hoping to see more of the Patriot influence on draft day.

i kinda thought that way too: but when i look at all the guys being mocked around our pick no one really jumps off the page anymore post combine:

DE
Taco Charlton and Derrick Barnett are potential DEs. I wouldnt mind either one of them. Taco faster and more athletic....Barnett bigger and slower but a ton of SEC production.

S
Budda Baker or Peppers. Baker is high on a lot of peoples lists and a draft riser...but dude is tiny. Like Bob Sanders tiny and plays like a missle. Constant injury in the making. Peppers may have combined himself into the top 20.

CB
With the sidney jones injury....1 top 20 cb is now off the board. Teez Tabor and Quincy Wilson have been projected around our pick. Tabor is labeled soft with bad feet, misses a ton of tackles and has failed multiple drug tests. Wilson is big and physical but his coverage concerns may land him at safety in the NFL.

RT also provided some decent value at our pick with Ramzyk projected around our pick.

With that said....Taco, Barnett, Peppers or a LB would be my ideal fits...with Barnett and Peppers probably going top 20. The cb we want/need just isnt going to be there. Out of the LBs i like Hassan Reddick the best.

Last edited:
You can't fix every problem through free agency. Lots of holes to fill. Now they can focus on the D.

Dont overpay in FA and draft well. Quin is doing a good job of both of those so far with the lions. Marvin was probably overpaid....but was on pace to be worth it until the dissappearing act in the 2nd half of the year.

I'm a believer in a weird mentality, I admit, but I think it works...

Improve the offense through free agency, and the defense though the draft. I think it keeps your defense younger and faster, and you pull in proven guys in free agency.

Exceptions to every rule.. you don't often find a quality QB in free agency, or a LT, but everything else you can plunder from someone else.

Dont overpay in FA and draft well. Quin is doing a good job of both of those so far with the lions. Marvin was probably overpaid....but was on pace to be worth it until the dissappearing act in the 2nd half of the year.

Britt got 8 per, garcon over 9 per, desean jackson 11 per

Jones did not get overpaud

If you look at the draft this year its very deep with defensive players but not great along the OL. Plus with all the spread offenses in college you just dont know how the college OL will play in the NFL. I would rather spend money how we did. You grab the OL and then draft defense.

He was on pace to be underpaid

Back