Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Care to make a bet???

and finished overpaid :D

Not entirely sure why you guys are arguing this....i could have paid an undrafted bum 300k to do what Marvin did the second half of the year.

True. I think he'll be more consistent this year IMO. The jury is still out on him.

355 yards in last 8 games includes playoffs. 710 yard season. That is number 2 money.

656 first 8. That is number 1 wr play

And he had a number 1 play the first 8 games and number 2 play second 8. That is worth 8 per

He missed one game with injury. 1,000 yard season if he didn't miss. Who knows how many games hamstring affected

4 teams had their number 2 wr get more than 930 yards.

Packers, saints, raiders nad redskins. Jones was 5th best in league for all number 2 WRs. And he even missed a game

8 per is 21st in league. He has better than most number 2s and even some number 1s. 8 per is exactly right. And some younger players will get more money soon. Beckham, mike Evans. Jones will be lower than 21st soon

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

Anyone that said is overpaid didn't check the facts. Spouting jibberish is what you are doing. Negative for no reason. He is not overpaid

And Tate is extremely cheap for a number 1 wr in targets. Ebron is on a rookie deal worth 4 mil per season. Bennett who had 701 yards, ebron 711, Bennett just got 7 per from packers

Last edited:
Hopkins, Benjamin,Adams, Beckham, Cooper,cooks, mike Evans Will be paid more than him on their second contract very soon. That would put him at 28th. Five tight ends make more per year than jones too

Ya the only problem with all that crap is he's paid to be our #1 on the outside. Tate played slot and ran underneath all year. So how does Jones stack up vs the 1s? Ya shitty....that's what i said.

32nd for all wrs and tes and he missed one game. So 25th highest paid was about right. Not shitty for a number 1. Tate had more targets. He is the number 1

Jones was paid properly

Last edited:
Also 8 per is really cheap for a number 1 wr. Good ones get 11-13 per. Jones did better at end than most think. Great in first half. 930 yards with 2nd most targets in 15 games is good. And he can be better. Better protection and run game will also help jones see less doubles too. Plus Tate's emergence and Riddick back

20 WRs make more and about 7 or 8nwrs will make more soon. 5 stud tes make more. 8 per is good in this rising cap for a guy like Marvin jones

Last edited:
Aj green 964 yards, 4tds, 100 targets and 15 20+
Marvin Jones 930 yards, 4,tds, 103 targets and 16 20+

Aj green 964 yards, 4tds, 100 targets and 15 20+
Marvin Jones 930 yards, 4,tds, 103 targets and 16 20+

The aj green that played in 10 games and was shut down the rest of the year? That aj green? Thanks for making my point for me....he's about as good as someone that didn't play half the year lol.

Same production in same targets is the point. My point was the 50 facts i gave you that blew your point away and you ignored

Last edited:
Same production in same targets is the point. My point was the 50 facts i gave you that blew your point away and you ignored

It's OK...amongst all your bs even you Eventually come to the truth....he was as good as a wr that played half a year.

He produced in same targets. And i showed you all the contracts and which contracts will be done. He is 5th for all number 2 wrs.

8 per is the proper market value. You are cap clueless hughess

He produced in same targets. And i showed you all the contracts and which contracts will be done. He is 5th for all number 2 wrs.

8 per is the proper market value. You are cap clueless hughess

I would think a #2 WR should produce as much as a #1 WR if not more. #2 WR do not face the same coverage. They get #2 CB and fewer double teams.

I looked at 2009 Calvin Johnson. It was his 3rd season at age 24. Same as Brent Celek. I choose 2009 because Megatron was out a couple games and probably his worst pro year. Just like AJ Green.

CJ 67 catches 984 yds 5 TDs on 137 targets
Celek 76 catches 971 yds 8 TDs on 112 targets

On paper, Celek had better numbers. But no one would choose Celek over CJ.

Green and Jones had similar target numbers and thus similar results. That doesn't mean they are "equal". Their numbers should be similar if they're getting the exact same number of targets basically.

Fact of the matter is Green was on pace to have a lot more targets than Jones if he had played a full season worth of games. Why is that exactly? Probably because he's getting open more, or the QB looks to him more than Stafford does with Jones in Detroit. Extrapolate Green's numbers to a full 16 games, and he would have been far ahead of Jones easily.

Lions had more people to target that most teams.

Jones was great as a number 2 and he was a quasi number one with Tate. He was 26th highest paid weapon (even lower for cap hit at only 6.6) and was 32nd overall in yards. That is proper pay any way you slice it.

His cap hit was only 6.6 last year. So by cap hit he was properly paid too.

He was not over paid at all if you just take a look at every players contract you would see that.

930 yards and 4 TDs is a good season (5th best for players with 2nd most targets on the team) for the guy who had the second most targets on any team. Jones was number 1 production through the first 8, then solid number 2 in the second 8 he played (7 plus playoffs).

Jones is a good player and clearly worth 8 per. This is a contract that will stay the same while 7-8 other WRs will get really big deals in the next few years.

And Jones can get to that 1,000 yards this season if he stays healthy now that his cap hit will be over 8 million. Jones was a very good weapon for Detroit. Especially on big plays. Detroit spreads the ball around a lot as they have many good weapons with Tate, Ebron, Boldin and Riddick.

Marvin Jones has been worth every penny so far. He got open, others did too and got targets. And the Lions went 7-1 in the games he struggled anyway.

Good number 2 WRs get 8 per or more in this league now. Jones is even better than that.

Our wrs struggled to get separation a majority of the year. Not impressed with our wrs one bit last year. I'm not saying to scrap them, but adding another solid wr in fa or the draft is necessary

Last edited:
Any WR is only as good as their production. While I don't like to ever agree with LKP, he's right, based on current production, Marvin Jones is no worse of a receiver than AJ Green.

Green has a much better chance to bounce back to elite status, as Jones has never been elite, but you can't argue that one is worse off that the other at this point.

Lots of elite players have declined. Last year and the year before were down years for Green. There is no suggestion that I can see that AJ is still an elite receiver. There is no suggestion that Jones has ever been elite.

Any WR is only as good as their production. While I don't like to ever agree with LKP, he's right, based on current production, Marvin Jones is no worse of a receiver than AJ Green.

Green has a much better chance to bounce back to elite status, as Jones has never been elite, but you can't argue that one is worse off that the other at this point.

Lots of elite players have declined. Last year and the year before were down years for Green. There is no suggestion that I can see that AJ is still an elite receiver. There is no suggestion that Jones has ever been elite.

Marvin is 2/3 the player Green was last year based on 15 games to 10 games. Producing the same numbers in five additional games makes them far different players.

Also AJ had his production in 9 games. The first game of the year, he injured his hamstring on the first pass of the game.

I am not claiming Marvin should be compared to AJ. Marvin isn't in his class. But Marvin produced in the first quarter of the season. After that he was a disappointment for the most part.

Back