Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Terry Mills

wheels002

Here is an interview Terry did witgh Sam Webb. Its rather long but well worth the listen. He talks about the plane crash and the run to the B10 title and how much it reminds him of the run in 89. He talks all about the 89 run and tells a funny Bo story. I guess they had a team meeting after Frieder left and Bo walks in and he had been hearing that Sean Higgins was complaining about playing time and so Bo pulls out transfer papers out of his pocket and puts them down in front of him and says "If you want to go then go". Needless to say Higgins just sat there. Bo then went around the room and told each player what he expected from them as only Bo could.

http://www.scout.com/college/michigan/story/1762852-mills-reflects-upon-plane-crash-89-more

That's awesome. The BTT run was probably similar but in '89 they were so good from start to finish..

Little does anyone know that 1989 team which did end up 30-7 lost its first game to Anchorage Alaska after starting the sesson 11-0.. I keep seeing two different records for that year. 27-7 and 30-7. It's like one site doesn't count certain games . Just strange.
Glad Bo rallied the guys and hired Steve Fisher.

Last edited:
Glen Rice was so special during the run in '89. I don't think anyone is ever touching his record of 184 points. No one has even been close since he broke Bill Bradley's record of 177.

Glen Rice was so special during the run in '89. I don't think anyone is ever touching his record of 184 points. No one has even been close since he broke Bill Bradley's record of 177.

Interesting that Michigan beat Princeton in the NCAA Semis that same season. And that Bradley had five games and no 3-point shot to score his 177.

PPG: Bradley, 35.4 ... Rice, 30.6.

Interesting that Michigan beat Princeton in the NCAA Semis that same season. And that Bradley had five games and no 3-point shot to score his 177.

PPG: Bradley, 35.4 ... Rice, 30.6.

Bradley's fifth game was the 3rd place game.

Little does anyone know that 1989 team which did end up 30-7 lost its first game to Anchorage Alaska after starting the sesson 11-0.. I keep seeing two different records for that year. 27-7 and 30-7. It's like one site doesn't count certain games . Just strange.
Glad Bo rallied the guys and hired Steve Fisher.

I think it was 30-7. That team was probably one of the best jump shooting teams in NCAA history and shot something like 56% from the field on the season, which was ridiculous. Interestingly almost all of their good shooters were 6-7 and above. Rice obviously, but Terry Mills, Loy Vaught and Sean Higgins were all sweet-shooting forwards and centers. Rumeal could hit from 3 too but preferred to take it to the hoop (at least that year before he became a bit of a chucker his senior year).

That team lost 7 games (and got spanked twice by Illinois in the Big Ten) because they were average at best defensively and overall good, but not great athletically, but got more inspired on that end of the floor during the NCAA run.

Last edited:
Is that when the historic Michigan/Illinois rivalry started? :lmao:

they sure seemed to think of us as "big rivals" down in Champaign when I was there. Indiana is their biggest rival & we're #2.

granted... that was the early aughts. Who knows WTF they think about down there now.

I can still remember that put back by Higgins of the long three-miss by Mills and that Fisher did not call a TO after the Illinois-tying bucket by Battle.

Back