Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason hype train! The poll is out!

I recall seasons to tend to end up better the lower Michigan starts out ranked; unranked is even better.

The "Amway Coaches Poll."

I wonder if they felt any sense of shame in awarding a sleazy pyramid scheme naming rights of the poll. given the current state of the NCAA, maybe it's fitting.

The "Amway Coaches Poll."

I wonder if they felt any sense of shame in awarding a sleazy pyramid scheme naming rights of the poll. given the current state of the NCAA, maybe it's fitting.

I was a little surprised when I saw this myself.

I'm happy we're unranked as well.

just thinking about it... how absurd is the idea of a coaches' poll to begin with?

People believe coaches, with 5 days of football practice on top of press interviews, and all the other daily activities they're managing, followed by an entire day per week occupied solely with gameday prep, a game, and press conferences... have time in the few hours on Sunday to fairly rank twenty-five of the top college programs, who could've very well played 25 separate games that day?

UPI in 1951. It was an answer to the AP sports writer's poll.

I've heard that most coaches actually don't fill out the ballot. They delegate it to somebody else.

I wonder what the Herbalife Coaches poll says?!

This is the first time I think, that a media outlet isn't the sponsor of the poll.

Since the UPI went out of business or merged in with the AP or whatever it was that happened to it, I think CNN, ESPN and USA Today have been the sponsors at various points in time.

This is the first time I think, that a media outlet isn't the sponsor of the poll.

Since the UPI went out of business or merged in with the AP or whatever it was that happened to it, I think CNN, ESPN and USA Today have been the sponsors at various points in time.

EDIT: I guess is UPI is still around; they're just a significantly downsized operation and much less important disseminator of news and information, it seems...

I recall seasons to tend to end up better the lower Michigan starts out ranked; unranked is even better.

I remember a year they were the preseason pick to finish 3rd in the BigTen. It seems they finished that year (1997) slightly higher than that.

Given all the B10 teams ranked higher, you take care of business and take them out and rise up each time

And let's just remember this, last time we opened the season with App State we were #5 or #6....

We're in the "others receiving votes" which means if we win the first two games we'll be in the rankings.

I was talking to a couple CU guys about the upcoming schedules and was asked who UM opened with. When I said App State they replied with an, 'uh oh....'

I would bet the farm on Michigan this time. What lead to that loss lead to RichRod and where we are today. I can't imagine a more mentally-focused team for a first game against a 'cupcake.'

Last edited:
I was talking to a couple CU guys about the upcoming schedules and was asked who UM opened with. When I said App State they replied with an, 'uh oh....'

I would bet the farm on Michigan this time. What lead to that loss lead to RichRod and where we are today. I can't imagine a more mentally-focused team for a first game against a 'cupcake.'

Plus app st went 4-8 last year

Eh...the coaches will be focused b/c of what happened last time, but these kids were 11-14 years old when that debacle took place. I'm not so sure how much it really affects the players.

Back