Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Usa eliminated from 2018 WC

Yeah, we can concentrate on a lifeless baseball organization. Wee.

I'm sick over this. World Cup is 90000x better than anything baseball produces.

Well then you will still be entertained and engaged.

Well then you will still be entertained and engaged.

As an American, it's good to go into the World Cup with a secondary team to root for, I stick with my heritage!

51f72d33c09820fc96527f64be5759b6.jpg

giphy.webp

Yeah, we can concentrate on a lifeless baseball organization. Wee.

I'm sick over this. World Cup is 90000x better than anything baseball produces.

Unless you don't care about US soccer and the World Cup..

That's fine. It's just a silly comment. As though sports requires some level of "concentration" to watch.

It's one of the best events in the world, period. And the ratings bear that out. I enjoy baseball, but I don't think there's anything more boring in the sporting world than midseason baseball.

favorite non-US World Cup memory: watching '06 Italy France final at my friend's place. (he grew up in France). I was the only person there cheering for Italy.

friend starts giving me shit "Italians are so sleazy and underhanded. How could anyone cheer for this team, other than a sleazy Italian. Dirtiest team in Europe."

LITERALLY as soon as he finished saying that Zidane headbutted Materazzi away from the play, but still on camera. I said "Hey what the fuck was that?!? You can't do that!!!"

then they showed slo-mo replays of the headbutt, and I was cheering "Ha, who's sleazy and underhanded now?!? He's gone! he's done! he just attacked his opponent on globally broadcast television!"

That's fine. It's just a silly comment. As though sports requires some level of "concentration" to watch.

It's one of the best events in the world, period. And the ratings bear that out. I enjoy baseball, but I don't think there's anything more boring in the sporting world than midseason baseball.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd watch a mid season Tigers game over a world cup match, even if it were the USA playing.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd watch a mid season Tigers game over a world cup match, even if it were the USA playing.

To each his own, of course, and I'm not a baseball hater, but it's tough to match the emotion and high stakes of a World Cup game with a mid season MLB game.

I mean, for one thing, there are 161 freaking more baseball games to watch in the season... and for another, it's not just a bunch of guys playing for contracts; this is for national pride.

I've never seen bars erupt in applause and cheers for any sport like I have World Cup soccer. Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria in 2010 to put the US through was insane.

but of course if you were just looking for something chill & relaxing to do while you ate peanuts and drank a beer, then midseason MLB is for you.

That's why humans differ.. Many say golf is boring but for me it's awesome.

To each his own, of course, and I'm not a baseball hater, but it's tough to match the emotion and high stakes of a World Cup game with a mid season MLB game.

I mean, for one thing, there are 161 freaking more baseball games to watch in the season... and for another, it's not just a bunch of guys playing for contracts; this is for national pride.

I've never seen bars erupt in applause and cheers for any sport like I have World Cup soccer. Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria in 2010 to put the US through was insane.

but of course if you were just looking for something chill & relaxing to do while you ate peanuts and drank a beer, then midseason MLB is for you.

The problem with national pride is a situation like now that they've been eliminated is you need to wait 4 years to see it again. They say Olympics sports is for national pride but NHL, NBA and such the pro's are playing so it's just like a regular season game.. Not like 1980 anymore (Hockey)..

too bad they have an even lousier national team than the US does most years.

Ireland? Psh. They just conserve their energy between World Cup appearances. That's why they always make it out of groups when they qualify! :cheers:

I'm so bummed . I love the world cup and yeah I know usa probably will never win one in my lifetime but I like watching them. I Will root for the underdogs for sure . Any and all of them.

I will still watch the World Cup. Heck I watch the Euro Cup sometimes when it's on too, but it definitely won't be the same without the US in it.

But I think the whole system needs to be blown up, but that won't happen because the USSF is a corrupt, clueless organization. They've passed superficial changes over the past couple of years that have mostly served to screw up the youth system (and affected teams my oldest son played on), that I'm not really inclined to care about the National team anyway. But overall the youth system is such a racket for the clubs involved with no real incentive to actually develop good players (or repercussions for not doing so). And until that changes we'll probably see mediocre at best, lousy at worst results. I hear we are doing pretty well with the U17 and U20 teams, which maybe points to a brighter future. I'll believe it when it happens.

Last edited:
AH FUCK! Italy eliminated as well... unfuckingbelievable.

this world cup is even less interesting to me now. I don't even know who to cheer for... maybe Iceland, in their first World Cup, and because they're a great progressive country.. Or Poland (my other ethnicity). or our fellow North American brethren the Mexicans.

Italy hadn't missed a World Cup since 1958... damn.

Back