Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Roger Federer wins 20th Grand Slam

Give me Jimmy Connors in his prime over Federer in his prime.

Last edited:
Give me Jimmy Connors in his prime over Federer in his prime.

I don't think so.

Would it be one match?

Or would they face off on all four major championship surfaces?

Of course, the best players of an era end up playing against each other often.

Connors doesn't have anywhere near the grand slam championships resume that Federer has, but I do think that Connors has won the most total matches of all time.

I think match in and match out, Federer would win more often.

I don't think so.

Would it be one match?

Or would they face off on all four major championship surfaces?

Of course, the best players of an era end up playing against each other often.

Connors doesn't have anywhere near the grand slam championships resume that Federer has, but I do think that Connors has won the most total matches of all time.

I think match in and match out, Federer would win more often.

Too hard to know. But Connors was my favorite which is why I mentioned him ;-) But Connor could return a serve like no other and had a strong game. Never quit attitude.

Too hard to know. But Connors was my favorite which is why I mentioned him ;-) But Connor could return a serve like no other and had a strong game. Never quit attitude.

I would say Nadal and Djokovic are better overall than Connors top rivals and Andy is better than a lot of them. What's kept Murray from having more success is he plays in the same era as the other three.

I would say Nadal and Djokovic are better overall than Connors top rivals and Andy is better than a lot of them. What's kept Murray from having more success is he plays in the same era as the other three.

I thought McEnroe and Borg were very good players. Add in Lendl who was rather good himself and got the short end of the stick on many occasions the competition was good. And a bunch of really good secondary players.

I thought McEnroe and Borg were very good players. Add in Lendl who was rather good himself and got the short end of the stick on many occasions the competition was good. And a bunch of really good secondary players.

Of course they were very good. But to each only won two of the four majors-which is great of course; better than almost everyone in history and certainly puts them on the list of all-time greatest.

But this era has three active players with career grand slams - I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.

Yes, it's hard to compare players of different eras. But you don't have to think too hard about who the GOAT is, if you're willing to take McEnroe's word for it. McEnroe, who played all the guys mentioned and who has witnessed Federer's career, states without hesitation that Roger is the greatest, followed by Nadal. And the gap between those two and whoever comes in at number three is sizable. Pretty sure McEnroe puts Borg at number three and Laver at four. And then there is Sampras.

Last edited:
Back