Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Reseeding-likely-nfl-playoffs-expand

biggunsbob

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12026957/reseeding-likely-nfl-playoffs-expand

Roger Goodell said last week that the league will vote in March to expand the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams in 2015 and, with that, several league sources believe playoff reseeding will become a reality.

One formula that will be discussed in the offseason is that in addition to first-round byes for the teams with the best record in the AFC and NFC, two divisional champions in each conference will get home games and the remaining 8 teams will be seeded by win-loss record.

The playoff seeding idea has been tabled previously but proponents believe playoff expansion will provide a boost to change.

The winner of the NFC South this season will have an 8-8 record at best but will host a playoff game under the current seeding formula which rewards division champions.

The NFL has had 12 teams qualify for the postseason since 1990, when it expanded the field from 10, adding a third wild card in each conference to join three division champions

I'm all for it. No one cares about or brags about division winner any longer. Seed based on best records in the conference.

I like it overall. Only the top team getting in each conference getting a bye makes it more interesting in my opinion. Don't think it cheapens the playoffs much adding one more team in each conference.

I like it overall. Only the top team getting in each conference getting a bye makes it more interesting in my opinion. Don't think it cheapens the playoffs much adding one more team in each conference.

It's a very good solution. You get to expand the playoffs (without cheapening it) and create more interest later in the year for a few more teams. I'm not someone who thinks it's a great idea to keep expanding playoff teams in all sports but in this case it works perfectly without jacking up the playoffs or losing any integrity or meaning of being a playoff team.

Total money play, nothing more. Its all about showing an increase in revenue, and they will include an 8th team in each conference within 5 years, using competition as excuse but reality is money, don't be fooled into anything else.

As Long as it gives the lions a extra shot at getting in each year I am all for it...

2 extra teams suck. It's all about the money so maybe they prevent an under .500 team from getting a home game it sure makes it easier to have a playoff team with 7-8 wins. It's going to turn in to the old way it was for hockey..where they had like 16 of 23 teams get in..

Back