Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Forced out of bounds

Sbee

Let me first say this play isn't the only reason we lost. We should have been able to get a first down and run the clock out, we should have prevented their first td, and we never should have let them move it 55 yards in their first two plays. The call was a factor in the loss but hardly the only one.

I don't really understand the call, it looks like the receiver went out of bounds on his own about 15 yards before he made the catch. He was clearly not forced out, if any the was blocked from coming back in because our dB was making a play on the ball but that's his right.

What is the possible justification for saying he was forced out?

Once the refs make that call there is nothing they can do about. The replay official cannot overturn the call even though he/she knows it is wrong. It's awful but I'm hoping it will wake the players up.

There is no justification. I'd almost find it better if they didn't actually see him go out of bounds. But they did and somehow in looking at that judged that he was forced out. He started his pattern about a yard or two from the sideline (which players are coached not to do for that very reason) and was veering in that direction well before he was engaged by the DB, who at that point merely had body position on him and was shielding him off.

It's not the reason we lost, but it was an absolutely atrocious call (which this year seems to be happening all too frequently).

Last edited:
There is no justification. I'd almost find it better if they didn't actually see him go out of bounds. But they did and somehow in looking at that judged that he was forced out. He started his pattern about a yard or two from the sideline (which players are coached not to do for that very reason) and was veering in that direction well before he was engaged by the DB, who at that point merely had body position on him and was shielding him off.

It's not the reason we lost, but it was an absolutely atrocious call (which this year seems to be happening all too frequently).
It's not the only reason we lost but it was a contributing factor, you can't deny that. I would love to hear an explanation and justification of the call though.

We would have been a lot better off if they never ruled him out. The td would have been reviewed and they would have disallowed it. My understanding is they can't overrule the force out if called on the field. The only thing that the review did was confirm that he was in bounds when the catch was made.

Last edited:
It's not the only reason we lost but it was a contributing factor, you can't deny that. I would love to hear an explanation and justification of the call though.

We would have been a lot better off if they never ruled him out. The td would have been reviewed and they would have disallowed it. My understanding is they can't overrule the force out if called on the field. The only thing that the review did was confirm that he was in bounds when the catch was made.

The whole force out rule is stupid. Either you went out of bounds or you didn't. If you went out of bounds because of some illegal contact initiated by the defender, then it should be defensive holding or PI.

The fewer things you give for those clowns to make judgments on, the better.

Last edited:
Hard to argue you for screwed when you give up 4 tds on 5 possessions but man, how the hell did they interpret this? Check out this article, for the catch to stand the receiver had to be forced out by the defender, there was no contact until he re entered the field. Also, if forced out you have to immediately come back if you touch the ball first. He took 4 long strides out of bounds before re entering.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergr...ave-saved-a-michigan-state-win-over-nebraska/

I guess we should have won despite out defense being so shitty in the second half.

Let me first say this play isn't the only reason we lost. We should have been able to get a first down and run the clock out, we should have prevented their first td, and we never should have let them move it 55 yards in their first two plays. The call was a factor in the loss but hardly the only one.

I don't really understand the call, it looks like the receiver went out of bounds on his own about 15 yards before he made the catch. He was clearly not forced out, if any the was blocked from coming back in because our dB was making a play on the ball but that's his right.

What is the possible justification for saying he was forced out?

Im not a blame the refs type but he wasnt forced at all. The fact is with a full squad and everything on the line you need to finish that game. They deserved to lose, unfortunately.

Last edited:
another thing, isnt the ball considered "out of bounds " as soon as it crosses the out of bounds line or is it when the ball hits the ground. the ball had crossed that plane with 1 second left. We got double fucked. Shouldnt there have been a kick opportunity??

another thing, isnt the ball considered "out of bounds " as soon as it crosses the out of bounds line or is it when the ball hits the ground. the ball had crossed that plane with 1 second left. We got double fucked. Shouldnt there have been a kick opportunity??
I think it's when it hits. Regardless it would have been 57 yards?

Back