Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Is Conor McGregor retiring?

A week ago he watched an MMA fighter he knew fight and die soon after from head trauma. I don't think it's a joke.

good for him. make some money and get out of that barbaric sport.

I love MMA but I can't disagree. He always said he'd retire healthy, I think people thought he was just talking out his ass.

He made his millions. I'm happy for him. Same as I am for all the NFL players retiring at 30 lately. I'm glad they're starting to wake up.

A week ago he watched an MMA fighter he knew fight and die soon after from head trauma. I don't think it's a joke.

Wasn't it his friend the beat the other guy? I thought that was what I read ? I will have to look for it .

I love MMA but I can't disagree. He always said he'd retire healthy, I think people thought he was just talking out his ass.

He made his millions. I'm happy for him. Same as I am for all the NFL players retiring at 30 lately. I'm glad they're starting to wake up.

Same here. I was happy CJ retired. Guys like Patrick Willis too. The more money these guys make the more often we will see guys retire early. Play a few years, put a few million in the bank then call it quits. That's what the smart ones will do.

If I was a top ten pick I'd honestly just play out my rookie contract and call it a day. Maybe not what they used to make but they still get paid. I think Ebron, a TE mind you, got 12m or so. That's enough to last a lifetime.

That would be tough, fighting a guy who later dies. I'm surprised that guy isn't retiring.

If I was a top ten pick I'd honestly just play out my rookie contract and call it a day. Maybe not what they used to make but they still get paid. I think Ebron, a TE mind you, got 12m or so. That's enough to last a lifetime.

They should take a look at a guy like Ryan Broyles. He was a 2nd round pick who only had a guarantee of $1.4M but has made about $3M. He lived off of $60K a year and saved the rest. His NFL career is likely over...not by his choice but at least he is set for life.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ith-36-million-contract-lives-on-60000-a-year

They should take a look at a guy like Ryan Broyles. He was a 2nd round pick who only had a guarantee of $1.4M but has made about $3M. He lived off of $60K a year and saved the rest. His NFL career is likely over...not by his choice but at least he is set for life.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ith-36-million-contract-lives-on-60000-a-year

I read an article, not sure how recent or accurate - but it stated something like 75% former NFL players, 60+% former NBA players go bankrupt/completely broke 5 years after they play.

Best bet is just tell your children to play Golf.

I read an article, not sure how recent or accurate - but it stated something like 75% former NFL players, 60+% former NBA players go bankrupt/completely broke 5 years after they play.

Best bet is to teach them financial responsibility. Most of these athletes don't come from money and have no idea what to do with it when they have it.

Best bet is to teach them financial responsibility. Most of these athletes don't come from money and have no idea what to do with it when they have it.

Many of these athletes grow up broke, and unfortunately their families want stuff too. They go broke and Mom still has her half mill house that you bought her. Yes, I agree - financial responsibilities.

When the NFL draft is on and player is at home with their families. When they get drafted you think Mom and uncle Willie are happy to see him get his dreams? They want to get paid.

They need the word no.

the funny thing is these athletes have the tools in front of them. Broyles said that he learned what he should do at the NFL rookie symposium. The biggest problem is the kids don't listen.

I don't feel bad for any of them who go bankrupt...it's their own fault. I actually think it is funny when it's guys like Spreewell who said he has kids to feed after he turned down a contract extension. He made over $100M and is now broke.

the funny thing is these athletes have the tools in front of them. Broyles said that he learned what he should do at the NFL rookie symposium. The biggest problem is the kids don't listen.

I don't feel bad for any of them who go bankrupt...it's their own fault. I actually think it is funny when it's guys like Spreewell who said he has kids to feed after he turned down a contract extension. He made over $100M and is now broke.

I also read one about some of the worse purchases. Scotty Pippen bought a jet or something and it didn't even work. You probably remember Kurt Shilling invested 50 million on something stupid. The people he invested with fire all employees and called it day. Bye bye money. Terrell Owens invested in a Bingo Hall, lol.

They might not all be broke but dumb decisions.

Last edited:
Curt Shilling went all in on a video game project. Boom. I don't even think it was ever released.

That's right. I googled, 38 Studios. Shilling actually founded it. Didn't know that. Today I read an article about the 'Pearl" Washington. Played at Syracuse. Anyway he's in on a project for sock pocket. A pocket in a sock. Not sure if that's strange or not.

Back