Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gun regulation thought

Gulo Blue

There are slippery slope arguments behind most gun control laws that could keep guns out of the hands of terrorists. An extreme example would be "what if the government put everyone on the list and took away everyone's gun?" But what if you put a cap on it? What if the government could take away gun rights of suspected probable terrorists, but the suspected potential terrorist had a cap of 0.1% of the population. And if you try to get a gun and find you are on the list, there should be a legal procedure for trying to get off of it. We might give it a different name, I don't know.

And the idea could go beyond gun restriction. If you're not on the list, you can't have your phone calls monitored either. All these rights we've surrendered or are talking about surrendering should have some kind of hard cap, because we know they interpret rules over broadly if there's any wiggle room.

I don't love this idea, it's just a different approach I'm thinking about. It wouldn't replace the argument over what rights the government can go after in the name of security, but a limit you could place on them.

the only way it can be Constitutional is if due process is involved. so if you can be put on a terrorist watch list, and have rights and property taken away because of this, you have to have a right to challenge this in court.

the FBI would scream bloody murder of course, if this happened.

Back