Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

This is what you're supporting when you support teachers unions...

He voluntarily was in a union and didn't do things required of a union worker. What's the big deal? Have you never been in a union? They protect you 99% of the time and that 1% they will need you to participate.

LOL. And no, I've never been in a union because i'm not lazy or stupid.

The Union doesn't employ him - the school district does.

If he's required under the law to pay Union dues (which he is) regardless of his choice to be a union member or not he likely can't legally be expelled from the Union, or be denied Union membership rights having paid his dues.

So we'll see.

Confirmed that you are ignorant. 2-1 Odds this man is a republican.

1-1 odds he only posts this dumb bullshit here because his wife and kids refuse to listen to his idiotic political beliefs over dinner.

Confirmed that you are ignorant. 2-1 Odds this man is a republican.

Wow, you're almost as good at the internets as michturd. However, you're obviously a horrible odds maker - not too strong with simple probabilities? math not your strong suit? Or just a dim bulb in general? It's at least even money on "all of the above".

Last edited:
1-1 odds he only posts this dumb bullshit here because his wife and kids refuse to listen to his idiotic political beliefs over dinner.

says the guy who posts more rants here than the rest of the posters combined. is this projection or a cry for help?

I've never been involved in a Union so no idea what goes on but too bad. IMO, he did the right thing. Already too many teachers who don't give a shit about their students..

Though when I worked at a GM plant, I was fixing this lady's computer, and she basically was just sitting on her ass for a week straight for something she didn't like.. I'm sure that's not a normal occurrence.

"... and here's an article from a 'think tank' funded by the same guys pushing charter schools to prove it!"

Here's turd pretending it thinkk tank spin and not actual data from all students who took the SATs which, it is and does in fact prove it.

We already know charter schools kick the crap out of regular union controlled public schools.

I'm under the impression that this is only true of poor schools and wealthy public schools do as well as wealthy charter schools.

I'm under the impression that this is only true of poor schools and wealthy public schools do as well as wealthy charter schools.

that's probably true as a general rule. But I would think, depending on where you draw the line for "wealthy", there are a lot more poor public schools than wealthy ones. Also, and this is just my opinion, I think in the wealthier districts you have a combination of more parental/community involvement keeping administrations and unions somewhat in check through oversight and less concern about cost - they tend to perform better and are therefore getting better value. That's not say they can't do better - my brother-in-law is an award winning teacher in a public high school in a very affluent district and he cannot stand his union. He thinks it's a totally rigged, adds no value for the students (probably a net negative for students) and just protects and rewards teachers solely based on years of service. He told me about a meeting when he first started out re: a vote on how to allocate salary increases. The younger teachers were outnumbered and got no raises when they already weren't making much while all the allocated increase went to older already much better paid teachers. When he and another young colleague objected a bunch of older teachers shouted him down with things like "shut up, you'll get your chance to screw the young guys next time around".

I'm pretty mixed on unions to be honest. I've seen good and bad depending on the work environment. I don't think they have a place in today's schools and hospitals where they create a poor environment of lack of accountability in places where accountability is needed most. My wife has seen nurses get away with almost killing patients with nothing but a slap on the wrist, repeatedly. It's really disappointing.

I'm pretty mixed on unions to be honest. I've seen good and bad depending on the work environment. I don't think they have a place in today's schools and hospitals where they create a poor environment of lack of accountability in places where accountability is needed most. My wife has seen nurses get away with almost killing patients with nothing but a slap on the wrist, repeatedly. It's really disappointing.

Years ago I was banging this one nurse whom had, early in her nursing career, drown some homeless gangrenous drug addict by giving her four times an amount of water instead of one fourth the amount of water prescribed, by mistake.

The homeless woman's prognosis was that she would be dead of gangrene in a few days anyway, so what the hell.

Unions are a good idea gone wrong as they get big and old, same as most things. If there was a legit way to keep them poor...have labor organized without a wealthy organization, they'd be more effective.

Unions are a good idea gone wrong as they get big and old, same as most things. If there was a legit way to keep them poor...have labor organized without a wealthy organization, they'd be more effective.

I believe private sector unions served a purpose at one time. That time is passed, now they're just corrupt organizations that produce little more than inefficiency. Public sector unions are a joke - even FDR thought those were a bad idea. The idea that they have so much political clout is ridiculous. They pour millions of dollars into the campaigns of the people who are responsible for determining their wages and benefits. Conflict of interest? What could go wrong there?

Back