Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

College Gameday heading to Western Michigan this Saturday!

tbone413

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...n-michigan-football-college-gameday/93765404/

Lee Corso, Herbie and the Gang will all be in Kalamazoo this weekend, as College Gameday comes to a MAC school for only the second time ever (first time was back in 2003 when they visited Bowling Green University. )

I know most of you on here are fans of UofM or MSU, and Gameday visiting your school is 'cool' but nothing special. Well as a WMU Alum (who is a huge sports fan) - this is awesome. I went to there knowing full well that I would never get to really cheer for them in any meaningful way in collegiate sports, but the season we are having this year is absolutely remarkable, and regardless of how it ends I'm proud that Kalamazoo will get some national attention.

I know for a fact WMUs success is going to be short lived, as PJ Fleck is gone next year. My Brother and I have already decided if WMU makes a New Years 6 bowl we are going to it (Probably would be the Cotton Bowl), but Im pulling some strings to see if I can make it to Kzoo this Sat. as attending Gameday at Waldo Stadium would be once in a lifetime for me.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...n-michigan-football-college-gameday/93765404/

Lee Corso, Herbie and the Gang will all be in Kalamazoo this weekend, as College Gameday comes to a MAC school for only the second time ever (first time was back in 2003 when they visited Bowling Green University. )

I know most of you on here are fans of UofM or MSU, and Gameday visiting your school is 'cool' but nothing special. Well as a WMU Alum (who is a huge sports fan) - this is awesome. I went to there knowing full well that I would never get to really cheer for them in any meaningful way in collegiate sports, but the season we are having this year is absolutely remarkable, and regardless of how it ends I'm proud that Kalamazoo will get some national attention.

I know for a fact WMUs success is going to be short lived, as PJ Fleck is gone next year. My Brother and I have already decided if WMU makes a New Years 6 bowl we are going to it (Probably would be the Cotton Bowl), but Im pulling some strings to see if I can make it to Kzoo this Sat. as attending Gameday at Waldo Stadium would be once in a lifetime for me.

I am all aboard the WMU bandwagon, especially since my school sucks ass this season and it's hard to have anything to look forward to football wise at the moment. Who knows if GameDay will probably ever be back in Kalamazoo, should be a cool experience.

Last edited:
With 30,000 capacity, that's mildly disappointing.

Maybe it's prices of the tickets.. Curious how much student tickets cost? I remember at NMU, a smaller school for sure, the tickets were free when I attended..

23k actually isn't bad for a MAC non rivalry game. But yes, it is free to go to the games if you have a student ID. Id say that on average 50-60% of the attendance is students (atleast when I went there). Kalamazoo isnt that big of a city (95k population in the last census), and the vast majority of the people living there have no allegiance to the school. Most of the grads who would make up the bulk of the non students in attendance either move either out of state, or to the metro Detroit area where all of the Engineering/marketing jobs are located, and its hard to choose going to a MAC game when you could sit at home and watch 10 other really good college games on at the same time.

That being said - there is no doubt in my mind this game will be sold out and overflowing into the rest of the city. I know a ton of alums who are making a trip in for the game, and Im sure all of the students will have extra motivation to show up as well. Its gonna be an awesome atmosphere.

23k actually isn't bad for a MAC non rivalry game. But yes, it is free to go to the games if you have a student ID. Id say that on average 50-60% of the attendance is students (atleast when I went there). Kalamazoo isnt that big of a city (95k population in the last census), and the vast majority of the people living there have no allegiance to the school. Most of the grads who would make up the bulk of the non students in attendance either move either out of state, or to the metro Detroit area where all of the Engineering/marketing jobs are located, and its hard to choose going to a MAC game when you could sit at home and watch 10 other really good college games on at the same time.

That being said - there is no doubt in my mind this game will be sold out and overflowing into the rest of the city. I know a ton of alums who are making a trip in for the game, and Im sure all of the students will have extra motivation to show up as well. Its gonna be an awesome atmosphere.

That's cool. I hope it's packed. Are you going?

I'd love to go, but I already committed to visiting my grandparents in South Bend Indiana for an early Thanksgiving meal that afternoon. I never in a million years thought that Gameday would be coming to Kalamazoo the same weekend.

However, the meal doesn't start until 2pm, and Kalamazoo is only an hour from South Bend, so I think I might go and hang out Friday night/Saturday morning, and then leave shortly after noon. Wont be able to make the game, but I will at least get to see Gameday /tailgate a bit.

I'd love to go, but I already committed to visiting my grandparents in South Bend Indiana for an early Thanksgiving meal that afternoon. I never in a million years thought that Gameday would be coming to Kalamazoo the same weekend.

However, the meal doesn't start until 2pm, and Kalamazoo is only an hour from South Bend, so I think I might go and hang out Friday night/Saturday morning, and then leave shortly after noon. Wont be able to make the game, but I will at least get to see Gameday /tailgate a bit.

Well that should be fun. Didn't realize South Bend and the 'Zoo were so close.

Good get for a small school. Fleck is a good coach and will get a chance at a power 5 conference job next year......but I can't say I will miss hearing "row the boat".

I was thinking of making a sign and going.....but it's supposed to be cold Saturday morning.....so I think I'll just stay home.

Back