Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jimmy Kimmel not backing down

I don't believe you should be able to buy insurance after your house burns down - that's how insurance works...

Well...when a person buys a house...that person should know they need homeowners insurance.

I don't know at what point a person becomes aware of a pre-existing condition relative to seeking health insurance.

For example -

A young person reaches the limit of edibility to be included on their parents' insurance. That kid has a pre-existing condition, and had coverage before, but now is seeking coverage with the pre-existing.

An employee acquires group insurance during open enrollment through an employer...that person has a pre-existing condition.

The job goes away, for whatever reason, along with the coverage.

So now that person is seeking insurance with a pre-existing condition.

I think maybe I remember you posting something about people who had prior coverage should be eligible with pre-existing conditions. If you did, I guess there's my answer.

Well...when a person buys a house...that person should know they need homeowners insurance.

I don't know at what point a person becomes aware of a pre-existing condition relative to seeking health insurance.

For example -

A young person reaches the limit of edibility to be included on their parents' insurance. That kid has a pre-existing condition, and had coverage before, but now is seeking coverage with the pre-existing.

An employee acquires group insurance during open enrollment through an employer...that person has a pre-existing condition.

The job goes away, for whatever reason, along with the coverage.

So now that person is seeking insurance with a pre-existing condition.

I think maybe I remember you posting something about people who had prior coverage should be eligible with pre-existing conditions. If you did, I guess there's my answer.

I'm pretty sure I've talked about it in the past. Not allowing insurers to deny continuation of coverage including people switching carriers or getting their own plan after losing eligibility under a parent or former employers plan is a much better way to deal with the preexisting condition issue. Although you probably shouldn't be able to change from a high deductible plan to comprehensive coverage or something like that. I think it was already the case even before the ACA with group insurance plans through your employer - for example changing jobs if you were enrolled in coverage at previous employer, you were able to get covered by the new employers plan.

I think it was already the case even before the ACA with group insurance plans through your employer - for example changing jobs if you were enrolled in coverage at previous employer, you were able to get covered by the new employers plan.

Well, typically the new employer would have/would have had an open enrollment period within which pre-existing are/were not a consideration for enrollment.

Without the option to continue on a new group insurance option is where people - people who who had done everything right - accumulated assets; bought a house, etc...were getting fucked previously. Sure, they could eventually have gotten Medicaid, but not until they had become broke dick poor.

But I've said this ad nauseum and I'm sure I'm becoming a broken record.

Well, typically the new employer would have/would have had an open enrollment period within which pre-existing are/were not a consideration for enrollment.

Without the option to continue on a new group insurance option is where people - people who who had done everything right - accumulated assets; bought a house, etc...were getting fucked previously. Sure, they could eventually have gotten Medicaid, but not until they had become broke dick poor.

But I've said this ad nauseum and I'm sure I'm becoming a broken record.

agreed but it has to be priced properly. those are the types of things that should evolve from the market. if you reduce regulation and increase competition, dealers have to compete on price or more appropriately on value. Even before the ACA we didn't have a true market based system with very little competition with oligopolies in all and near monopolies in many markets.

Last edited:
Back