Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Corn Syrup Lobbyist Is Helping Set USDA Dietary Guidelines

turok

So we Murkins have been paying for subsidizing corn growers, then pay again for the costs of harvesting and converting it into diabetes-causing HFCS, which is injected into snack foods, soft-drinks, liqueurs, and processed foods, b/c of its addictive properties. Ethanol just never took hold in the consumer fuel market, and fewer and fewer vehicles were mfg and sold which could use it.

But now these lobbyists are being promoted into positions within the federal government, so we can pay them for poisoning us, too. Fuck ethics and damn the regulations!!

In late August of 2017, White House counsel Donald McGahn issued a waiver for a new member of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), previously a lobbyist for the corn syrup industry, to advise the department on dietary guidelines:
“I hereby waive the requirements of paragraph 7 of the Ethics Pledge to Ms. Kailee Tkacz to allow her to advise the Secretary of Agriculture and other senior Department officials with respect to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans process. I have determined that it is in the public interest to grant this limited waiver because of Ms. Tkacz’s expertise in the process by which the Dietary Guidelines for Americans are issued every five years.”

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-ca...t-helping-set-usda-dietary-guidelines-2649307

A Koch and ALEC protege huh? What could possibly go wrong?

"Draining The Swamp"

Then refilling it with toxic waste.

Here she is....Ms Corn Syrup USA 2016!!

https://www.wgr.org/Kailee_M._Tkacz

Last edited:
5 servings per day of pure corn syrup have been added to the food pyramid

I'm opposed to regulation capture as much as the next guy, but I have two questions.

1) Are you aware of there being anything wrong with HFCS other than the fact that it is a dirt cheap source of calories that has helped make a lot of us Americans fat?

2) What do you mean by "Ethanol just never took hold in the consumer fuel market, and fewer and fewer vehicles were mfg and sold which could use it."? My understanding is that all cars made these days are ethanol compatible and if you have a car that isn't, it's a pain to find ethanol free gas. (I buy ethanol free gas for my lawnmower. I have 1 option within 15 minutes of my house out of dozens of gas stations.)

I'm opposed to regulation capture as much as the next guy, but I have two questions.

1) Are you aware of there being anything wrong with HFCS other than the fact that it is a dirt cheap source of calories that has helped make a lot of us Americans fat?

2) What do you mean by "Ethanol just never took hold in the consumer fuel market, and fewer and fewer vehicles were mfg and sold which could use it."? My understanding is that all cars made these days are ethanol compatible and if you have a car that isn't, it's a pain to find ethanol free gas. (I buy ethanol free gas for my lawnmower. I have 1 option within 15 minutes of my house out of dozens of gas stations.)

I think they are talking about that E85 crap which consists of mostly ethanol (51-85%). Typical gas has about 10% ethanol.

I think ethanol levels vary state to state but you should be able to burn premium in your lawn mower and other small engine equipment. I have used it for my mower, trimmer, tiller, power washer, snow blower and chainsaw for over 5 years now and haven't had any problems with any of them. My next door neighbor stubbornly burned regular in his lawn mower which rotted out all the non metal parts and destroyed the engine. I had to lend him my mower every week for an entire summer - on the condition that he never put gas in it. Again, NC may be different from NJ but a reputable lawn equip shop should be able to give you good guidance on it.

As for your questions, I think this is just another rant. HFCS isn't any worse for you than cane sugar - both should be limited in consumption. People get fat because they eat too much junk and don't exercise. As far as ethanol goes, I'm not aware of it being used any less in gasoline than before - there is less ethanol in winter gas but that's nothing new.

I agree on the lobbying thing though - we should do away with tariff's and bans on importing ethanol and sugar from outside the US, which drives prices artificially higher here.

Last edited:
I think ethanol levels vary state to state but you should be able to burn premium in your lawn mower and other small engine equipment. I have used it for my mower, trimmer, tiller, power washer, snow blower and chainsaw for over 5 years now and haven't had any problems with any of them. My next door neighbor stubbornly burned regular in his lawn mower which rotted out all the non metal parts and destroyed the engine. I had to lend him my mower every week for an entire summer - on the condition that he never put gas in it. Again, NC may be different from NJ but a reputable lawn equip shop should be able to give you good guidance on it.

As for your questions, I think this is just another rant. HFCS isn't any worse for you than cane sugar - both should be limited in consumption. People get fat because they eat too much junk and don't exercise. As far as ethanol goes, I'm not aware of it being used any less in gasoline than before - there is less ethanol in winter gas but that's nothing new.

I agree on the lobbying thing though - we should do away with tariff's and bans on importing ethanol and sugar from outside the US, which drives prices artificially higher here.

I misspoke a little there. It's not that the lawnmower wouldn't run. I stubbornly ran it on regular for years before switching and it's 11 years old and still going (Honda). And I forget to change the oil some years.

It's the stuff I don't use as often (but fill from the same gas can), like the pressure washer. If you let gas sit a little too long, stuff with ethanol is more likely to gum up the carburetor. When I took it to a garden shop to get it cleaned out, they told me to switch to ethanol free.

Yup. Its been going on for years.. Milk, Beef, Sugar. Its all bad for you. The Politicians and Lobbyists, and Industry are all in bed together. Keep Americans sick and on pills and keep the cycle moving through the generations. Lie through the FDA on Guidelines and it gets ingrained from birth. It is so funny because it is proven that Cow Puss is not good for you and they keep promoting it for strong bones LOL.. We know sugar is worse then Cocaine and has killed more people then all the drugs combined and yet the Government lets any type of sugar in its food.

Agave Nectar
Barley Malt Syrup
Beet Sugar
Brown Rice Syrup
Brown Sugar
Cane Crystals (or, even better, "cane juice crystals")
Cane Sugar
Coconut Sugar, or Coconut Palm Sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
Dehydrated Cane Juice
Dextrin
Dextrose
Evaporated Cane Juice
Fructose
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Malt syrup
Maltose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Palm Sugar
Raw sugar
Rice Syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
Sucrose
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado Sugar
Xylose

Oh well we have to keep Drugs percolating in peoples veins. People have been brainwashed with advertising about beef, milk and sugar. Just like the cigarette industry these three industries are lying through their collective Big Brother teeth. And damn Big Brother is helping them !!!

Last edited:

I posted that it is also addictive and is being injected into processed foods, where it is not needed. I am old enough to remember long ago when snack foods tasted differently than they do now with HFCS, and for me anyway, has helped to make me much less likely to eat them very often. (I have never craved sweets or chips all that much.) But for those 35 and younger, they have no tastebud memory to recall. Unless they buy locally made glass-bottled soda pop or Coke exported from Mexico, or can find "new" Pepsi made w/cane sugar (I haven't found any grocery stores that are selling it nearby as yet).

It isn't just eating junk food that is making kids fat today, as it seems that every succeeding generation since WWII spends more and more time while slovenly sitting on beds, couches, and chairs, in front of a TV or computer/smartphone screen, rather than going outdoors for the purpose of getting any physical activity. When I was a tween and teenager, it was very rare for me to spend my time indoors all day and/or evening when not attending grade and high school. Including during rainy or wintry weather. You couldn't find a block in my old neighborhood that wasn't filled with bicycles and kids playing some kind of front or backyard game. Few kids were fat enough where it showed in their hands and eyes (dimpled knuckles and plump eyelids).

As for adults, it is pretty much the same thing....technology replacing physical fitness, plus using liposuction and bariatric surgery to shed lbs, instead of exercise. But back in the mid-80s, there was that strong, but relatively short push fashion and fad-wise, to "get physical".

Last edited:
I misspoke a little there. It's not that the lawnmower wouldn't run. I stubbornly ran it on regular for years before switching and it's 11 years old and still going (Honda). And I forget to change the oil some years.

It's the stuff I don't use as often (but fill from the same gas can), like the pressure washer. If you let gas sit a little too long, stuff with ethanol is more likely to gum up the carburetor. When I took it to a garden shop to get it cleaned out, they told me to switch to ethanol free.

small engines tend to have more plastic and rubber parts (fuel lines, gaskets, etc) which gas with more ethanol will degrade over time even if you run them regularly. I think the risk is greater with 2 stroke engines (in my case trimmer, leaf blower and chain saw) but is still a very real problem for small engine equipment (lawnmower, tiller, snow blower and power washer). You definitely do not want to run e15 in you lawnmower. My mower is a Honda - it will run forever with the right gas. If I had to do it over I'd prob pay up a bit to get Honda engines on the snow blower and powers washer (both Briggs & Stratton).

from consumer reports:
"Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, harder starting, and reduced engine life," says Marv Klowak, global vice president of research and development for Briggs & Stratton

Last edited:
I posted that it is also addictive and is being injected into processed foods, where it is not needed. I am old enough to remember long ago when snack foods tasted differently than they do now with HFCS, and for me anyway, has helped to make me much less likely to eat them very often. (I have never craved sweets or chips all that much.) But for those 35 and younger, they have no tastebud memory to recall. Unless they buy locally made glass-bottled soda pop or Coke exported from Mexico, or can find "new" Pepsi made w/cane sugar (I haven't found any grocery stores that are selling it nearby as yet).

It isn't just eating junk food that is making kids fat today, as it seems that every succeeding generation since WWII spends more and more time while slovenly sitting on beds, couches, and chairs, in front of a TV or computer/smartphone screen, rather than going outdoors for the purpose of getting any physical activity. When I was a tween and teenager, it was very rare for me to spend my time indoors all day and/or evening when not attending grade and high school. Including during rainy or wintry weather. You couldn't find a block in my old neighborhood that wasn't filled with bicycles and kids playing some kind of front or backyard game. Few kids were fat enough where it showed in their hands and eyes (dimpled knuckles and plump eyelids).

As for adults, it is pretty much the same thing....technology replacing physical fitness, plus using liposuction and bariatric surgery to shed lbs, instead of exercise. But back in the mid-80s, there was that strong, but relatively short push fashion and fad-wise, to "get physical".

as turok yells..."get off my grass!!!"

I might have to change my thinking on HFCS. I haven't found a comparison between HFCS and regular sugar with regard to addiction and I'm skeptical of some of the language I've seen with the addiction claim. You can make a lot of things addictive.

BUT

This Princeton study claims that rats with access to water sweetened with HFCS gained more weight than rats with access to water sweetened with sucrose. The explanation that I find compelling is that in sucrose, fructose molecules are bound to glucose molecules while in HFCS they are unbound. A metabolic step is required to free the molecules. Even if that step is low energy, I would assume it would take time. I'm going to risk saying something wrong here, but I think bound molecules and extra metabolic steps is the basic difference between complex carbohydrates and simple sugars, which every diabetic knows has a huge impact on how the body deals with them. If HFCS is an even simpler simple sugar, then it makes sense that it has a different impact on the body. I still believe a calorie is a calorie with regard to weight gain, but a person can manage hunger with fewer calories if they come from complex carbohydrates rather than simple sugars.

Last edited:
I remember reading that the body metabolized it differently.

my understanding of the bigger issue with high fructose corn syrup (aka Republican Sugar), was that it was so cheap relative to the cost of actual sugar, that it encouraged food manufacturers to add excessive amounts of it to all sorts of things that never had it before, and don't need it (e.g ketchup, or catsup as some call it), provoking sugar addiction and weight gain.

Back