Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Losing teams in Playoff Debate

biggunsbob

Is there anyway for the NFL to set up a conference formula so that we do not have
this mess we have this year in the NFC South.. It really is a sad fact the NFL would allow
this to happen.. Like when Seattle made it at 7-9 in 2010 when two other teams
the Giants and Tampa bay were both 10-6 and left out.. If the NFL does expand
I would like 8 playoff teams instead of six... But there has to be a way to eliminate
a team with a losing recorded making it. Like go with the top teams in each conference like
the NBA and NHL does... Now some years it may happen the 6th through 8th team my have a losing record
but at least that team would not get a freaking home game..

any way to fix this?

Last edited:
Still keep divisions and maybe give out league Money to division winners but do not let them in the playoffs if they don't deserve it...

Last edited:
Possibly a stipulation that a division winner MUST have a winning record in order to have a home game...?

Well I agree with that but how is it far that both Tampa Bay and NYG were 10-6 and a freaking 7-9 Seattle team makes the playoffs and gets freaking home game that they won.. It makes no sense to allow it to happen..

I hate to say this but it may be time to Eliminate divisions and go to a straight conference format and top six get in no matter what.. Every team plays each other once in the conference and has 1 teams as rivals protected they play twice or it rotates? and or go to 18game schedule and you get 3 teams you play twice..
Its pure 12:30 am genius ..

Last edited:
Instead of 4 divisions, just have 2. Very little chance a division winner in that scenario would have a losing record.

Either that or just put in a clause that you must at least be 8-8 if you win your div in order to get a spot in the post season, winning your div should not garentee a playoff spot when their are only 4 teams in a div imo

Either that or just put in a clause that you must at least be 8-8 if you win your div in order to get a spot in the post season, winning your div should not garentee a playoff spot when their are only 4 teams in a div imo

This would have been an easier thing to push through if the 7-9 Seahawk team had been blown out, not just lost. Now people point to that as a reason why the division winner deserves to be in regardless of record.

The South winner this year could potentially have a 6-10 record, and still host the game.

Keep the 4 divisions in each conference but divisions don't mean shit when it comes to the playoffs. They can still brag they won the division but you seed based on overall record. You seed the best 1-6 teams in the NFC and the best 1-6 teams in the AFC. 1 and 2 get the bye week. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5.

Trying to assign some sort of importance to divisions is a thing of the past. No one cares. I will absolutely guarantee you at least 80% of players in the league couldn't tell you who the teams are in each division and the names of the divisions....in their own conference. You can keep your division rivalries but winning your division is not an automatic berth. Your body of work on the 16 game season is what matters most.

Last edited:
It might make sense to not take some under .500 if everyone had the same schedules. But they don't..Detroit fk'd it up last season but if they got in with their weak ass schedule over a 7-9 team who had a much stronger SoS, what justice is that?

It might make sense to not take some under .500 if everyone had the same schedules. But they don't..Detroit fk'd it up last season but if they got in with their weak ass schedule over a 7-9 team who had a much stronger SoS, what justice is that?

That is not even the point... The debate is not to let any team under .500 in unless that is all you have... Two10-6 teams were left out in 2010 over a Seattle team that was 7-9 and received a damn home game.. there could be a easy way to eliminate it so it does not happen.. Then what you are say is my solution is perfect... Do away with the divisions and every team plays each other once.. add two more teams and you have a 16 game schedule.. Top six from each conference make it. Maybe even up the playoffs to 8 teams...

really is going to suck when a 6-10 or 7-9 team from the south makes it over probably 3 or 4 other teams in the NfC this year...

That is not even the point... The debate is not to let any team under .500 in unless that is all you have... Two10-6 teams were left out in 2010 over a Seattle team that was 7-9 and received a damn home game.. there could be a easy way to eliminate it so it does not happen.. Then what you are say is my solution is perfect... Do away with the divisions and every team plays each other once.. add two more teams and you have a 16 game schedule.. Top six from each conference make it. Maybe even up the playoffs to 8 teams...

You're basically saying a 10-6 team is always better than a 7-9 team. And that's not true..So your "plan" doesn't hold water. The 7-9 or what we have this season doesn't happen much anyway..

with all of these arguments about a 7-9 team not deserving to be in the playoffs....most of you forgot that that 7-9 team won their playoff game. I think it is fine if they make the playoffs.

with all of these arguments about a 7-9 team not deserving to be in the playoffs....most of you forgot that that 7-9 team won their playoff game. I think it is fine if they make the playoffs.

Because they get to play at home.

7 Team Playoff. The 4 Conference Champs advance and 3 Wild Cards.

Only the top overall teams gets a bye in the playoffs.

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

The bye team plays the lowest ranked team advancing. The other 2 teams play based on record.

NFC (Currently)
1. ARZ (BYE)
2. PHI vs 7. DAL
3. GNB vs 6. DET
4. ATL vs 5. SEA

AFC (Currently)
1. NWE (BYE)
2. DEN vs 7. PIT
3. CIN vs 6. SDG
4. IND vs 5. KAN

No we didn't.. They never should have gotten home game.. Both NYG and Tampa Bay were 10-6 that season...Just a debate on how to make sure it never happens if at all possible..

Last edited:
You're basically saying a 10-6 team is always better than a 7-9 team. And that's not true..So your "plan" doesn't hold water. The 7-9 or what we have this season doesn't happen much anyway..

We are a just trying to make sure it never happens if at all possible..

Yes they are... Seattle's division was horrible hence the 7-9 record winning it while Tampa Bay at 10-6 was behind two teams 11-5 and 13-3 so no you are wrong Seattle did not deserve to make it...

Back