Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Losing teams in Playoff Debate

7 Team Playoff. The 4 Conference Champs advance and 3 Wild Cards.

Only the top overall teams gets a bye in the playoffs.

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

The bye team plays the lowest ranked team advancing. The other 2 teams play based on record.

NFC (Currently)
1. ARZ (BYE)
2. PHI vs 7. DAL
3. GNB vs 6. DET
4. ATL vs 5. SEA

AFC (Currently)
1. NWE (BYE)
2. DEN vs 7. PIT
3. CIN vs 6. SDG
4. IND vs 5. KAN

I like it...

Seattle in 2010 scored 310 and allowed 407 when they made it at 7-9.. So No they were not good TB 341/318 NYG 394/347..Both 10-6 and left out..

with all of these arguments about a 7-9 team not deserving to be in the playoffs....most of you forgot that that 7-9 team won their playoff game. I think it is fine if they make the playoffs.

And that makes it even worse when having a sub .500 team wins a playoff game. It really shouldn't happen to often, sub .500 teams winning divisions but when it does...mmmm yeah it all needs a clause

Last edited:
Have your fantasy league with new changes. They have had division since forever but because a team here or there lets change it. If NO had Detroit' schedule maybe they'd be 8-4. The Lions have one of the worst SOS in the league. They were at 31.

Last edited:
7 Team Playoff. The 4 Conference Champs advance and 3 Wild Cards.

Only the top overall teams gets a bye in the playoffs.

2 vs 7

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

The bye team plays the lowest ranked team advancing. The other 2 teams play based on record.

NFC (Currently)
1. ARZ (BYE)
2. PHI vs 7. DAL
3. GNB vs 6. DET
4. ATL vs 5. SEA

AFC (Currently)
1. NWE (BYE)
2. DEN vs 7. PIT
3. CIN vs 6. SDG
4. IND vs 5. KAN

This is perfect and it let's the NFL add 2 more playoff teams without adding any additional weeks to the schedule.

Have your fantasy league with new changes. They have had division since forever but because a team here or there lets change it. If NO had Detroit' schedule maybe they'd be 8-4. The Lions have one of the worst SOS in the league. They were at 31.

Change can be good... Nothing wrong with debating it...No reason for the NFL not to try and get the best teams in the playoffs ... Keep your old divisions and give out a cookie but no need to make it a auto include in the playoffs if your record is not good enough..

How often is this really a problem?

Crap happens from time to time; the system is fine - not flawless - but fine, as it is.

How often is this really a problem?

Crap happens from time to time; the system is fine - not flawless - but fine, as it is.

In the NFL I agree. As you said, it's rarely a problem and doesn't warrant a drastic change. The NBA is a different story though. Every year good teams from the West get screwed and miss playoffs while shit teams in the East make playoffs, the Suns would have been a 3 seed in the East last year but missed playoffs in the West, that's bullshit and is frequently an issue that needs correcting.

In the NFL I agree. As you said, it's rarely a problem and doesn't warrant a drastic change. The NBA is a different story though. Every year good teams from the West get screwed and miss playoffs while shit teams in the East make playoffs, the Suns would have been a 3 seed in the East last year but missed playoffs in the West, that's bullshit and is frequently an issue that needs correcting.

What is this NBA that you talk of?

It's not a problem you all say but with parity we are now going to have it happen in 2010 and 2014 along with some of the 8-8 teams from the past.. Man i am old but some of you guys just go into panic mode when the discussion is change.. You cannot tell me the NFL was happy with a 7-9 Seattle team making it or any team making it this year in the south at 6-10 this year.. I mean this is NFL.. The league that wants to stay ahead of all other leagues.. Change can be good... Divisions are like dinosaurs.. Give out a flag and some money but by all means do not let it decide weather a 10-6 or 11-5 teams has to go on the road to play a 6-10 team in the South this year.. I mean heck I hate division system. it's not like the Lions are ever going to catch the Bears, Packers or Vikings in head to head with all the sucking that has been WCF..

NO beat Pitt today on the road and Atlanta won as well. Both are 5-7. I think NO runs the table and finishes 9-7. They play Carolina at home, @ the shitty Bears on Monday night, home against Atlanta and then @ Tampa.

Atlanta has a tougher schedule....@GB on Monday night, Pitt, @NO and finish with Carolina.

Hope so.. Then there are no worries...

I still think playoff seeding needs to change and go by best record in each conference. Home field advantage is way too big in the nfl to reward a team simply because they won their 4 team division.

Not crazy about it either would rather just see em change the win your div and your in deal

Last edited:
Back