Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons Land Reggie Jackson

The bottom line is they gave up 2 bench players and a 2nd round draft pick for the ability to give Reggie Jackson a 30 game tryout. If it doesn't work out they essentially lose a cheap back up PG (DJ) next year and a 2nd round draft pic for nothing in return. If he plays well they get the opportunity to sign a selfish PG who can't play defense to a huge contract.

I kind of hope he sucks.

Oh lord I don't. I hope he thrives here. The Pistons need a star to get behind.

I think the Pistons have a hunch about Jennings. Athletes are never the same after an injury like that.

DeAndre Jordan was a 2nd round pick. I get that these guys don't pan out to be much most of the time but that doesn't mean 2nd round picks are completely worthless, and we gave away -2- of them, plus a cheap PG through next year, a 40% shooter from 3 for a guy who might actually be a talent downgrade from our cheap PG alone, plus he's looking for a big contract based on a very small sample size of decent play. This guy must be supremely arrogant to think he's worth anywhere near as much money as he thinks he is based on his play.

6 months ago, everyone was roasting Joe over his shitty draft picks. Now people are trying to defend his 2nd round picks with the "games started" statistic? Are you fucking kidding me? The Pistons have been dog shit for half a decade and you're proud that they were starters? What a terrible angle.

This isn't an attempt to defend Dumars or pump up the Pistons in the slightest. No idea why you're taking it there. But if people were roasting him over his 2nd round drafting then they were misguided.

The metric that dubbs set was finding value in the 2nd round, and determining if they ever work out. He put the odds at 1 in 900 or nearly impossible. Admittedly using game starts, with many of those starts coming on crappy teams, doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but within those metrics they clearly do.

I was 100 percent embellishing the 1/900, as that would not make sense to the composition of the league. But I stand by the fact that it is damn near impossible to find a bonafide game changer in the 2nd round. Sure, you can get lucky and find nice role players, and if lightning strikes, a star.

In every draft, if you are lucky, there are maybe 1-3 guys that pan out and make a difference. So that's around 6-7 percent of the 2nd rounders that make it. And considering every team basically only has (for the most part), one 2nd round pick, you have 1/30th of that 6 percent pie. It's a complete crap shoot.

Maybe every 5th year find someone that plays a role. But in the context of trading for talent or other assets, 2nd round picks can go. They don't build teams.

Last edited:
I was 100 percent embellishing the 1/900, as that would not make sense to the composition of the league. .

Ok, so you're saying 1/9 and it's really 1/4. Still off by more than 100% and still an idiot.

The bottom line is they gave up 2 bench players and a 2nd round draft pick for the ability to give Reggie Jackson a 30 game tryout. If it doesn't work out they essentially lose a cheap back up PG (DJ) next year and a 2nd round draft pic for nothing in return. If he plays well they get the opportunity to sign a selfish PG who can't play defense to a huge contract.

I kind of hope he sucks.

Ok, Mr. Negative two things:

1) Most NBA Insiders consider this guy to have very high all star caliber upside. To ignore that like you do well, invalidates any point your trying to make.

2) You hope he sucks? Well, don't consider yourself a fan of the team if you root for the players to do badly. Bye, we don't need you on the fan-base.

Fact is we got rid of very little in the grand scheme of things (we are rebuilding, role players are a dime a dozen...we need cornerstones). What we got in return is well a risk. If Jackson pans out like many think we may have made the best trade since Pau Gasol to the Lakers. If he doesn't pan out we lost some role players, probably lost more games than we would have. Also, 2nd Round Picks are trash.

Ok, Mr. Negative two things:

1) Most NBA Insiders consider this guy to have very high all star caliber upside. To ignore that like you do well, invalidates any point your trying to make.

2) You hope he sucks? Well, don't consider yourself a fan of the team if you root for the players to do badly. Bye, we don't need you on the fan-base.

Fact is we got rid of very little in the grand scheme of things (we are rebuilding, role players are a dime a dozen...we need cornerstones). What we got in return is well a risk. If Jackson pans out like many think we may have made the best trade since Pau Gasol to the Lakers. If he doesn't pan out we lost some role players, probably lost more games than we would have. Also, 2nd Round Picks are trash.

For every positive article I read about Jackson there is a negative one. NBA insiders are split on his abilities. One thing they are not split on is that he is a terrible defensive player.

As far as me saying "I kind of hope he sucks" was tongue in cheek given the two options I laid out. This kid wants a max contract...what I was saying is if he plays well I don't want the Pistons signing this guy to a huge contract. Now, if he is great...turns into an all star I will be extremely happy that I was wrong!

At the end of the day based on the current roster, what was given up, RJ is s low risk / high reward scenario. IF he balls and buys into SVG, this is going to be great. If not, we are not really much worse going into next year. Sorry to see Gumpy Singler go because I love to watch big, uncoordinated guys bury 3's.

Jackson shot 42% when he had his stretch of 20/8 and the Thunder were losing (3-10), AND lost to the Josh Smith Pistons. sounds like the definition of trash on a bad team to me. He's also a 27% shooter from 3.

Singler will have a role on ANY team in this league, he's a quality backup SF that can stretch the floor and hit the 3 ball at an effective clip.

DJ was putting up even better numbers than that at a fraction of the cost, Jackson is looking for a max deal this offseason, DJ will be getting 3 million next year.

again, I HATE this trade with a passion.

Agree, bad trade.

Singler was a really good role player. Excellent spot shooter. This team doesn't have many of those now it really doesn't have any of those.

Augustin is meh, and while Jackson has potential it is limited by the fact that he's a poor shooter. The Pistons now have way too many poor outside shooters on the team.

At least now I know who bought the four Kyle Singler jerseys since he's been in Detroit.

Watch Jackson when he settled down yesterday, and tell me that Augustin could do half of what he did in the lane.

If you are basing this trade on losing Kyle Singler, then I don't know what to tell you. And without him yesterday, they shot 40% from three. Pistons will be fine.

Last edited:
Reggie played well once he settled down. I still don't know that he'll be worth anywhere near the 14 million a year that he supposedly will be asking for, but he certainly has more potential than DJ. This seems like a trade where everyone might win. Reggie fits better as an attacking starter on a team that needs shot creators. DJ and Singler fit better as role-playing shooters on a team in need of bench depth.

Well he is only 24 so if he plays SVG style and to his potential, we will look back and see it as brilliant move assuming we get him on a reasonable contract.

Well he is only 24 so if he plays SVG style and to his potential, we will look back and see it as brilliant move assuming we get him on a reasonable contract.

If he plays to his potential he gets a max deal, because he can be that good. So reasonable contract doesn't really fit here

Watch Jackson when he settled down yesterday, and tell me that Augustin could do half of what he did in the lane.

If you are basing this trade on losing Kyle Singler, then I don't know what to tell you. And without him yesterday, they shot 40% from three. Pistons will be fine.

Nobody questions Jackson's ability to get in the lane and finish, it's a strength to his game. What I don't like is how he pouted in OKC and put himself in front of the team, and he wants a 14 million per contract based on what exactly?? His stats are not very impressive. I will say that this is his chance, if he puts up something like 17 ppg, 7 assists on decent %'s and helps the Pistons get into the playoffs then he'll get his money and it might turn out to be a good investment. We'll see how it unfolds.

Last edited:
The whole thing with him pouting is a bit overblown. He is confident and wanted a chance to go somewhere else to prove himself.

He had an interview on the radio today, I don't get any sort of poor attitude from him whatsoever. I actually think he's excited to be in Detroit.

Back