Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ceres

tigermud

I think we need an official Ceres thread. I couldn't really find one so here it is.

The closer we get to Ceres, the more perplexing the dwarf planet grows. NASA's Dawn spacecraft has found several more bright spots as well as a pyramid-like peak jutting out of the frigid world's surface.

The discovery is painting an increasingly complex portrait of one of the biggest "fossils" from the early solar system.

"I expected to be surprised because we knew so little about Ceres," Christopher Russell, Dawn's principal investigator and a planetary scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles, said in an email. "I never expected bright spots and a pyramid to be the surprises."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-07-dwarf-planet-ceres-big-scientists.html#jCp

Dawn Spacecraft in Holding Pattern at Ceres After Glitch

NASA's Dawn probe is staying in its current orbit around the dwarf planet Ceres a bit longer than originally planned while engineers try to figure out why the probe went into a precautionary "safe mode" last week.

Just after Dawn fired up its ion engines to begin spiraling down toward its third science orbit of Ceres on June 30, the spacecraft's protective software detected a problem of some sort, NASA officials said. As a result, Dawn quickly shut off its engines and went into safe mode.

Mission team members got the probe back up and running over the next two days. Dawn is healthy and out of safe mode, but it's staying put for now.

http://www.space.com/29877-nasa-dawn-spacecraft-glitch-ceres.html

Where is Ceres again?

I always seem to be missing the Ceres exit on my way out of the Solar System when I'm doing the intergalact travel thing, wuz' up...

Somehow I never used to miss that Divide Sports store billboard when I used to travel up I-75/US 23 going northbound from Ann Arbor upstate in the ol' M.I....

Go figya'...(and Go Blue...)

it's in the ass troid belt between mars and Jupiter, one theory suggest that ass troid belt might be the remains of an exploded planet or planet that never formed etc.. if so then perhaps Ceres could have been a moon of such planet at one time. Some even suggest Mars was originally a moon of something due to it's center bulge as if it used or orbit something larger.. Ceres kinda looks like our own moon but smaller. Maybe our moon used to be in the same belt before the anunnaki towed it here hundreds of thousands of years ago.

idk just wild off the wall thoughts.. Hey! being crazy sure beats watching the Tigers piss in the wind though..

Where is Ceres again?

I always seem to be missing the Ceres exit on my way out of the Solar System when I'm doing the intergalact travel thing, wuz' up...

Somehow I never used to miss that Divide Sports store billboard when I used to travel up I-75/US 23 going northbound from Ann Arbor upstate in the ol' M.I....

Go figya'...(and Go Blue...)

you've been missing Ed's Liquor Emporium on Ceres... lowest prices in the outer solar system. always worth a stop. (especially since DUI enforcement is notoriously lax once you get past Jupiter. we're usually half a fifth deep into gin and tonics by the time we reach Neptune.)

you've been missing Ed's Liquor Emporium on Ceres... lowest prices in the outer solar system. always worth a stop. (especially since OHTVUI -Operating a Hyperspace Travel Vessel Under the Influence - enforcement is notoriously lax once you get past Jupiter. we're usually half a fifth deep into gin and tonics by the time we reach Neptune.)

Ftfy.

Just another ball heap we should already have bases on...Those spots are pretty neat.. Scientist are confused sometimes too... Ice, Methane, ect... what are they... A vortex to another universe !!!!

Already have bases on? Easy there Buck Rodgers, I don't think we really even have the technology yet to even have bases on the Moon let alone one orbiting at the edge of the solar system.

Already have bases on? Easy there Buck Rodgers, I don't think we really even have the technology yet to even have bases on the Moon let alone one orbiting at the edge of the solar system.

We should be building bases on the moon now. I know everybody wants to go to Mars, but I think we'd be more productive on Mars sooner if we focus on moon bases and space stations for people and just keep sending robots to Mars for now.

We should be building bases on the moon now. I know everybody wants to go to Mars, but I think we'd be more productive on Mars sooner if we focus on moon bases and space stations for people and just keep sending robots to Mars for now.

what will we do in those moon bases? Anything beyond sit around and monitor the effects of habitation there on the human body?

side note:
Moon was a pretty great sci-fi movie.

what will we do in those moon bases? Anything beyond sit around and monitor the effects of habitation there on the human body?

side note:
Moon was a pretty great sci-fi movie.

No man, bitchin' resorts with golf courses and tennis courts and a swimming pool.

Back