Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Injuries.

Price, Kieler, and Conklin all listed on this week's depth chart as ORs to start. Won't know until Friday who will start. Kieler hadn't been listed on the depth chart at all the last few weeks. I think Price plays and one of the tackles also. All 3 should be back the following week.

Injuries do build depth though, we'll have at least 7 or 8 O linemen who has seen serious snaps next year.

Also, we've been all gloom and doom, but this team has trailed for a grand total of 68 seconds all season. We've built leads of 34-10, 31-21, 35-7, 17-0, and 21-0 in games this year. I've seen an offense that plays extremely conservatively with the lead, but is usually unstoppable when we're opening up the play book. The D is solid against the run save for 2 or 3 blown assignments that allowed long runs.

Last edited:
At last some good news!!! Conklin and Kieler both practiced today and could play this weekend.

Last edited:
That's great to hear. I still would limit the snaps each takes, it is Rutgers and long term health is the most important thing.

Also good news is that it looks like Kings, Price, and Pendleton should all be ready to go this weekend too.

Here's the thing about our offensive injuries, we're still 5-0 and we have developed a lot of depth now. And another thing about guys like Pendleton, Price, Conklin, and Kieler missing time is that even though they are nursing an injury that kept them out, they are also healing up other nicks and bumps that wouldn't have kept them out and they're also not getting any more nicks, so if they can overcome the major issues they have a chance to be a lot fresher as the season goes on. This offense should be ready to grind some defenses up.

Also good news is that it looks like Kings, Price, and Pendleton should all be ready to go this weekend too.

Here's the thing about our offensive injuries, we're still 5-0 and we have developed a lot of depth now. And another thing about guys like Pendleton, Price, Conklin, and Kieler missing time is that even though they are nursing an injury that kept them out, they are also healing up other nicks and bumps that wouldn't have kept them out and they're also not getting any more nicks, so if they can overcome the major issues they have a chance to be a lot fresher as the season goes on. This offense should be ready to grind some defenses up.

before the season started I thought that we'd have to outscore people and win track meet type games, that's even more of the case right now. At least we have rutgers now so we can get some reps for the true freshmen DB's. I could be bullish on this team if we can make it to the bye week undefeated but I still don't like how this year is trending.

I don't think any first half lead is safe with this team. I'd like to see us put someone away for once...

No doubt. MSU is 1-5 in the second half this year and the one win was 13-3 against CMU, a game that was not in hand at half time - that's pathetic considering the competition thus far. Our 50 2h points are less than 1/3 of our total for the year and a big part of why we rank 96th in the country in total points scored.

Last edited:
before the season started I thought that we'd have to outscore people and win track meet type games, that's even more of the case right now. At least we have rutgers now so we can get some reps for the true freshmen DB's. I could be bullish on this team if we can make it to the bye week undefeated but I still don't like how this year is trending.

RU gets their best player, WR LeonteCarroo back today. That could be a problem for the secondary.

Hopefully we wont need them a full game....then again we are piss poor in the 2nd half....
I'd like to see a break down of run/pass splits in the second half vs 1st half. I think we've tried to play way too conservatively with 2-3 td leads and committed to the run too much

I'd like to see a break down of run/pass splits in the second half vs 1st half. I think we've tried to play way too conservatively with 2-3 td leads and committed to the run too much

I think we've been passing like 5-8 times in the 2nd half the last 3 games.

We're playing Tressel Ball, it used to drive OSU fans nuts too, it's simply low risk at every turn. The thing is that we don't have a dominant Defense this year so it's going to cost us eventually.

I think we've been passing like 5-8 times in the 2nd half the last 3 games.

We're playing Tressel Ball, it used to drive OSU fans nuts too, it's simply low risk at every turn. The thing is that we don't have a dominant Defense this year so it's going to cost us eventually.
The conditions mandated it last week but against AFA and others we continue to run with 8 guys in the box with poor results. Of course if we pass there's risk but I think we're pumping the breaks too early

Its the kind of predictable play calling akin to a JLS team. There has to be some sort of unpredictability or we are just asking to lose. Have we switched offensive coordinators since 2013? I know personnel determines some of The play calls but the fact is we are overly conservative and it should have cost us a loss already. The entire attitude seems unconcerned and incompetent the second half the last 2 years, really bizarre.

Conklin and Kieler both dressed tonight.

Conklin not playing so far, considered only for emergencies at the moment. Keiler started at LT but was moved thanks to poor play at that position. J. Allen currently playing LT rather than bringing in Conklin.

Current State of the Team:

QB - Despite some low percentage second halves, Cook has looked really good. He's accurate, he doesn't make dumb throws, and he can generally get the ball out before pressure hits. Also, he still surprises defenses with better than expected speed.
RB - London and Scott both look good running the ball (even Holmes has his moments). Neither is much good at picking up blitzes.
O-Line - Opposite of what was expected, the O-line is a serious weakness right now, primarily because of injury. With guys getting moved around seemingly every game, they consistently look confused and blow assignments.
WR - Actually looks good. Burbridge is a true #1, and the others have been consistently adequate when needed.
TE - Good, consistent, and pretty sure hands. Only ok as blockers, but also difficult to judge because of problems on the O-line.

DT - Looks really good, consistently pushing the pocket and closing running lanes.
DE - Also really good, creating consistent pressure and stout against the run.
LB - Good to really good. More often than not getting into running lanes and limiting yards on short catches.
CB - Inconsistent. They have the speed to run with anybody, but struggle as tacklers. The big play has been a problem, and they don't appear disciplined against play action.
S - A train wreck. Nicholson alone is horrific. Every time there's a long throw to a wide open WR, expect to see Nicholson 5 yards away. Every time there's a broken tackle well into the secondary, expect to see Nicholson laying on the ground or avoiding the hit altogether.

K - Terrible, Geiger looks like Suh kicking an extra point on all of his field goals.
KR - Adequate, neither a strength nor a weakness.
ST - Poor. Coverage has been an issue on kickoffs, protection has been an issue on punts and FGs.

We lost 3 more starters to injury. It's totally insane.

London's looked bad. Hicks might be back. And Jack Allen's looked pretty bad, but he's so tough. Holmes also got hurt and didn't return.

Brian Allen was also hurt but came back in. Craig Evans might be injured.

Last edited:
I think we finished down 10 starters?

Conklin
Allen
Thomas
London
Hicks
Copeland
Davis
Williamson
Price
Finley