Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

First Playoff Rankings...

LuciousGameWinner

MSU comes in at 7. Not surprising, but the fact that Alabama and Notre Dame are in front of us is a joke. Alabama lost to Ole Miss who has 2 losses already and their best win is again Texas A&M?

Not that it matters, beat Ohio State and you're in.

It doesn't matter but it does show how big of a joke the committee is. Not only is Alabama ranked higher but they are in the playoff as of now over other undefeated teams.

It doesn't matter but it does show how big of a joke the committee is. Not only is Alabama ranked higher but they are in the playoff as of now over other undefeated teams.

TCU and MSU are getting screwed. I think TCU is way better than Baylor. Baylor has the 109th schedule in term of toughness. Come on now...

13-0 = playoffs
11-1 = no playoffs

the big ten is not getting two teams in

Win out and State will be in. I'm sure Dantonio will use this.

No complaints from me.....I don't think we belong in the top 4 right now.

That's my complaint. No way 1 loss teams should jump undefeated power 5 teams.

In most cases I agree. No way should they be higher than us. However, they are both better than OK State though.

I just hate the SEC love fest, if Bama beats LSU then the Tigers will only drop a few spots and would still be higher than undefeated teams like us, TCU, Baylor, Iowa.

Also, OSU should not be #3. If it were up to me, I would have Clemson, OSU, LSU, Baylor based on what has happened thus far. I expect Baylor to taper off without their QB.

I know the bottom of the rankings don't really matter but wisconsin gets no love. They're a 2 loss team with losses to top 10 teams, surprised they aren't listed

ND should not be ahead of us either. They are getting credit for their close win at VA and we seem to be getting punished for our close win at UM. I guess those quality losses are what matter.

Bama lost to the #18 team at home, we beat the #17 team on the road. And also, Oregon has their QB back and is 3-1 with him playing and they are putting up 50 a game again. The committee chair cited Bama's 4 wins vs teams with .500 or better record as a factor. We have 5 wins over teams with a .500 or better record. All 4 of our non conference foes will make a bowl. Bama barely beat Tennessee. Makes zero sense.

At this point, win and we're in the playoffs, lose to Ohio State and we're in the Rose Bowl.

Bama vs LSU this weekend. Networks get to showcase a "playoff match-up". They don't mean a whole lot at this point. A lot of games, these will change a few times.

Bama vs LSU this weekend. Networks get to showcase a "playoff match-up". They don't mean a whole lot at this point. A lot of games, these will change a few times.

LSU beats Bama, Ole Miss beats LSU, that would put Ole Miss in the SEC Title game with 2 losses. A 1 loss Florida team would likely be the foe.

Speaking of Florida, they have the biggest gripe of all. They lost on the road to #2 by a TD, they beat Ole Miss by 4 TDs, Ole Miss beat Bama on the road, so Bama is 4 and Florida is 10? Both teams clobbered Georgia, both teams scraped by Tennessee.

Last edited:
Alabama and Notre Dame are definitely ranked too high. ND is getting bonus points for a close loss to Clemson. Alabama I just don't understand, their's was not a quality loss and their best wins have turned to not be that good.

It doesn't ultimately affect us, though. OSU is keeping that playoff spot warm for any B1G team that goes undefeated. What the rankings have done is place a pretty clear pecking order. SEC>ACC>Big 10>Big 12. If there aren't 4 undefeated teams for the playoff, that's the likely order of inclusion for the one loss contenders.

We possibly had a shot to get in with 1 loss when we were ranked #2, but then we played too many close games for one reason or another. We keep the pedal to the metal and beat AF and CMU by 40 each, then play better vs Rutgers and Purdue, and who knows we could be #1 or #2 with a possible path to the playoffs with one loss. But that was still a long shot, we most likely would have had to be 13-0 to make the playoffs even if we had been beating every team by 50 every game. So we are exactly where we need to be.

Dantonio has been great in November, only 1 November loss outside 2012 in the last 5 seasons. The staff breaks the season down into 3 4 game mini seasons for the team, we did what we needed in the 1st two, now time to finish strong.

Eh......it will work itself out. 5 games to go for most teams. I'll pay more attention 3 or 4 weeks from now.

like in 2012 when a massively overrated ND team made to the NC game? It didn't work out until ND got clown stomped by Alabama. By then it was too late for more deserving teams. I don't think they'll beat Stanford, but getting a ranking they don't deserve now definitely screws over any teams better than them (if they're actually better).

We need to hope Bama loses to LSU this weekend. With LSU at 2 and Bama at 4, if LSU loses they will likely only drop a few spots leaving them above us and several other deserving teams potentially.

We need to hope Bama loses to LSU this weekend. With LSU at 2 and Bama at 4, if LSU loses they will likely only drop a few spots leaving them above us and several other deserving teams potentially.

We don't need for anything to happen in other games, we win out and we're in, period.

We don't need for anything to happen in other games, we win out and we're in, period.

This. Winning out and in the process beating Ohio State and then what will most likely be an undefeated Iowa will get us in. Case closed. MSU needs to worry about nothing else!

there is an outside chance that we could make it if we beat OSU, lose to PSU, then beat an undefeated iowa team. that's the only way we could make it with 1 loss IMO

Back