Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Muhammad Ali, ?The Greatest,? dies at 74

When your objective is to physically hurt the guy across the ring from you, things will tend to get heated from time to time. Ali's rhetoric was 90% promotion, he was a master at it. The other 10%? You probably pissed him off, that's on you imo.

In the pre-fight promotions Frazier what hurl insults back, although he definitely was the straight man.

This was put on for sure by both of them. SNL sketches are usually more convincing.

EDIT: Here are the two of them mugging and trading verbal jabs with each other on the Dick Cavett Show - along with razzing Cavett together-right around the time of the Howard Cosell "fight."

Last edited:
In the pre-fight promotions Frazier what hurl insults back, although he definitely was the straight man.

This was put on for sure by both of them. SNL sketches are usually more convincing.

EDIT: Here are the two of them mugging and trading verbal jabs with each other on the Dick Cavett Show - along with razzing Cavett together-right around the time of the Howard Cosell "fight."

I haven't seen that before, thanks. Man, Ali could talk. Quick thinking too..

I haven't seen that before, thanks. Man, Ali could talk. Quick thinking too..

I wish I could talk like he did.

and he did it all in rhyme as well. the man was a poet who boxed.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was cocky in prediction but humble in victory. This generation could learn a thing or two (million) from him.

and he didn't whine and make excuses when someone beat him. he just went out and beat them the next time.

and he didn't whine and make excuses when someone beat him. he just went out and beat them the next time.

He actually whined a little bit about the loss to Frazier before Ali-Frazier II - he from time to time said he thought he should have gotten the decision.

He also occasionally claimed to have had ring rust and gotten out of shape from the three year layoff.

Last edited:
Ali repeatedly yelling "What's my name, Tom?" during that fight was amazing. Despite Terrell's repeated illegal punches, Ali whooped that ass.

Yes Sir. Total domination.. "What's my name, Tom" - just hilarious.

Yes Sir. Total domination.. "What's my name, Tom" - just hilarious.

The first Muhammad Ali fight I remember first (I didn't watch it, as I recall it was on close circuit television movie theaters) was Ali-Frazier I.

In the accounts I've read of the Ali Terrel fight a number boxing prognosticators from the time including Howard Cosell believe Ali carried Terrel rather than just dropping himin order to pile on the physical punishment.

Been a while since I see the movie but I think the movie about Ali starring Will Smith portrayed it that way too.

EDIT: not going to bother to correct the voice recognition errors. I think you guys can get the jest of what I meant.

Last edited:
The first Muhammad Ali fight I remember first (I didn't watch it, as I recall it was on close circuit television movie theaters) was Ali-Frazier I.

In the accounts I've read of the Ali Terrel fight a number boxing prognosticators from the time including Howard Cosell believe Ali carried Terrel rather than just dropping himin order to pile on the physical punishment.

Been a while since I see the movie but I think the movie about Ali starring Will Smith portrayed it that way too.

EDIT: not going to bother to correct the voice recognition errors. I think you guys can get the jest of what I meant.

I remember reading about some fight that was so brutal, Cosell swore off calling boxing matches after that. it might've been another commentator though. i wonder if it was this bout?

I wouldn't doubt that at all. It was very, very one sided. Ali had him beaten badly in the 7th and didn't do much at all in the 8th. There is no doubt in my mind Ali was prolonging things for his own amusement. From what I recall, it was around that time when Terrell actually responded to "What's my name, Tom?" with "Muhammad Ali".

Back