Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Muhammad Ali, ?The Greatest,? dies at 74

I remember reading about some fight that was so brutal, Cosell swore off calling boxing matches after that. it might've been another commentator though. i wonder if it was this bout?

That was Larry Holmes and Randall "Tex" Cobb. The beating (by Holmes) was so vicious that inhis disgust for the fight not being stopped, Cosell stopped providing commentary almost all together. I believe that was his last commentated fight and the one you're referring to.

I watched Clay-Liston I (sic) yesterday. The most relevant part of the broadcast was the aftermath when the press and the production was trying to make sense of the event. It was chaos captured. Clay (sic) said it was a "mismatch" and no one could dispute that. And who was the first journalist to interview Clay (sic) immediately after the fight? Howard Cosell.

Back