Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I think I'm voting 3rd party

Gulo Blue

I don't think I can vote for Trump or Clinton. Just can't do it.

So what's the best alternative? Gary Johnson pops up on facebook some. Isn't there some significance if a 3rd party gets 5% of the vote? Like, the party gets federal campaign money next time or something like that?

I think Gary Johnson and Jill Stein are the two biggest third party names I've seen thus far.

5 percent is the milestone set by the Federal Election Commission to be eligible for the Presidential Election Campaign Fund’s grant. The amount of public funding available to the minor party candidate is based on the the ratio of the party’s popular vote in the preceding presidential election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in that election.

Last edited:
I think Gary Johnson and Jill Stein are the two biggest third party names I've seen thus far.

5 percent is the milestone set by the Federal Election Commission to be eligible for the Presidential Election Campaign Fund?s grant. The amount of public funding available to the minor party candidate is based on the the ratio of the party?s popular vote in the preceding presidential election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in that election.

Oh. So even if they get there, it won't be much money.

Thanks.

Oh. So even if they get there, it won't be much money.

Thanks.

It's about $10 million. Considering he generally only raises around $2-3 million total, it's a pretty big leap for him. If nothing else, it almost guarantees that he (or another candidate that pulls it off) will be on the ballot of all 50 states because he'd have the resources to make it happen.

If you're interested, I just saw on my news feed that they're doing a Libertarian town hall on CNN tonight at 9pm. It will feature Johnson/Weld, their 2016 ticket.

It's about $10 million. Considering he generally only raises around $2-3 million total, it's a pretty big leap for him. If nothing else, it almost guarantees that he (or another candidate that pulls it off) will be on the ballot of all 50 states because he'd have the resources to make it happen.

If you're interested, I just saw on my news feed that they're doing a Libertarian town hall on CNN tonight at 9pm. It will feature Johnson/Weld, their 2016 ticket.

the federal government gives $ towards the presidential campaign?

lol...I always thought that the money came from the individual parties through fund raisers, etc...not my tax dollars.

Obviously there are a variety of sources for funding campaigns.

As you can see from Gulo's link, federal funding has been going for quite some time.

Voting for a third party candidate with ZERO chance of winning, or even carrying a single state = way to feel superior over everyone else, without doing anything meaningful.

Voting for a third party candidate with ZERO chance of winning, or even carrying a single state = way to feel superior over everyone else, without doing anything meaningful.

If Sanders went independent or with another party do you think he could carry a state? Would you vote for him?

If Sanders went independent or with another party do you think he could carry a state? Would you vote for him?

He'd probably carry Vermont; maybe also NH or ME.

No, I would not vote for him. At least not in this election. I could see supporting a 3rd party candidate, had they been campaigning from Day 1, & established an organization and platform meant to be taken seriously, i.e. not just deciding "running for president is easier than getting a real job," and throwing your name out there, like Gary Johnson.

I can live with that.

He'd probably carry Vermont; maybe also NH or ME.

No, I would not vote for him. At least not in this election. I could see supporting a 3rd party candidate, had they been campaigning from Day 1, & established an organization and platform meant to be taken seriously, i.e. not just deciding "running for president is easier than getting a real job," and throwing your name out there, like Gary Johnson.

I don't know that you can criticize people for running for office to dodge getting a real job and support Bernie Sanders with a straight face.

You say that like there's something wrong with that.

I do shit to feel superior over everyone else without doing anything meaningful all the time.

I'm posting this post to feel superior everyone else and there's nothing meaningful about it.

I could see supporting a 3rd party candidate, had they been campaigning from Day 1, & established an organization and platform meant to be taken seriously, i.e. not just deciding "running for president is easier than getting a real job," and throwing your name out there, like Gary Johnson.

Your meaning of what's emboldened is ambiguous. Is it an example of the first sample of a third party candidate or the second?

Jill Stein is a retired physician and Harvard Medical School instructor.

Gary Johnson built and sold a giant construction company, and now he gives tax advice to dispensary owners on sheltering revenues from marijuana sales from the IRS.

I'm voting for Michchamp. The nation needs a Michigan Man now. More than ever.

This is great! going to quit my job today, and set up a SuperPAC and campaign donation page. I will pay myself and my close family members outsized "consulting fees" out of our campaign funds... enough to tide us over until 2020.

unlike Bernie Sanders in Vermont (gulo...) I have no intention or desire to actually win the election and have to govern. I just like running for things. you don't really have to be accountable for anything if you're just a perpetual candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great! going to quit my job today, and set up a SuperPAC and campaign donation page. I will pay myself and my close family members outsized "consulting fees" out of our campaign funds... enough to tide us over until 2020.

unlike Bernie Sanders in Vermont (gulo...) I have no intention or desire to actually win the election and have to govern. I just like running for things. you don't really have to be accountable for anything if you're just a perpetual candidate.

If you'd like to get around the SuperPAC rules, some good tips can be found here:

http://inthesetimes.com/article/19230/hillary-clinton-super-pac-memo-coordination-leaked

Back